New vs. Used Kubota and New Holland

/ New vs. Used Kubota and New Holland #1  

jahman4

Tractor
Kubota L3800
Hello! I'm new to the site and to tractors in general. My wife and I own 18 acres and are on the hunt for a tractor. About 10 of the acres are wooded and the other 8 are more or less 'cleared'. My primary immediate concerns are cutting brush, moving cut wood, hauling manure and digging fence posts. I'm fully aware other needs will arise soon.

I was just about sold on a new Kubota L3800 w/ 38hp, 66" bucket, HST and 4WD. While shopping around, I came across a 1 year old New Holland T1530 w/ 45 HP, 66" bucket HST, 4wd (and tires are filled). They're within about $500 of each other. If I buy new, I'll probably finance (0%). If I buy used, I'll probably do cash.

Any input on this? I've seen tons of posts on Kubota reliability and general awesomeness. I have found very little about New Holland, especially this model of tractor. I understand it's their answer to the economy options from other makers. Anyone with experience on either tractor?

Other small factors - the HST whine on the Kubota is louder than the NH. Kubota dealer is 30 minutes away, NH 45. Kubota feels a bit more 'sales-y', NH more parts and service. Also - NH dealer does NOT own the tractor but is listing it for a customer that is planning to upgrade.

Any suggestions?

/ New vs. Used Kubota and New Holland #2  
Dealer support can ***** minor product differences. I just bought a NH tractor based on my impressions of the dealers, as much as the tractors.

Keep that in mind as you weigh the options.

/ New vs. Used Kubota and New Holland #3  
I bought a L3800DT 6 months ago and could not be happier. The old L3750 is an 1984 model and still going strong! We have 400 acres here and use the tractors for mowing, logging, taking care of a mile long gravel drive and several miles of logging roads.

Not sure who makes NH, but I could have bought a used LS 45 hp for less than the L3800, but the Kubota tractors have been very tough and reliable for me. So I stayed with Orange. :)

/ New vs. Used Kubota and New Holland #4  
New Holland dealers have to push parts and service. To buy parts for a Kubota, they will always be Kubota unlike many brands that change the manufacturers of their tractors and later have issues of getting the parts for them ten years later. Look at the tractors history of repairs and the fact of their lower market share. They are as good as many brands, but!

/ New vs. Used Kubota and New Holland
Thanks for the input! For kicks, I drove a kioti today and quite enjoyed it. I'm getting less and less sold on the used NH, largely because it would probably be a cash purchase and I can use that money elsewhere. Between the kioti (dk40) and the kubota, it seems like I need to decide if I'll want a big loader lift capacity. I'd probably run the same implements on either one. One concern on the kioti - is there such a thing as too heavy? Am I going to sink in soft ground on that thing?

/ New vs. Used Kubota and New Holland #6  
Thanks for the input! For kicks, I drove a kioti today and quite enjoyed it. I'm getting less and less sold on the used NH, largely because it would probably be a cash purchase and I can use that money elsewhere. Between the kioti (dk40) and the kubota, it seems like I need to decide if I'll want a big loader lift capacity. I'd probably run the same implements on either one. One concern on the kioti - is there such a thing as too heavy? Am I going to sink in soft ground on that thing?

Yes.

I don't know your ground, but a heavy tractor will sink quicker in soft ground. You will need to decipher this yourself.

I've seen heavy tractors 'drop' instantly, when hitting a soft spot.................I know of one that has been buried for several months now.

/ New vs. Used Kubota and New Holland #7  
Heavier is not always better, particularly if you have soft or wet ground. Heavy is good on solid soils when you need traction and stability. Our soil is quite wet all winter and the heavier tractors do sink in more. You need to "weigh" that in your decision.

/ New vs. Used Kubota and New Holland #8  
I bought a NH 1720 6 years ago...
This tractor was a 1 owner with 245 hours...
She was in A+++ shape...
I have been very satisfied...
No breakdowns and no problems...
She now has almost 600 hours on it...
When the local NH dealer here went out of business it was replaced by another one...
I am not concerned in the least with parts supports...
I rarely need parts...
If I would have run up on a comparable Kubota, Massey, or Deere I would have purchased also...
In my opinion, condition of the unit is more important than dealer support...
If the unit is in excellent shape you are not gonna need much dealer support...
With that said, I am fortunate that I have two very good dealers that carry NH, Kubota, and Massey within 13 miles of the house...

/ New vs. Used Kubota and New Holland #9  
Most of the time more weight is a good thing. I have places here that I can't use our L3750 in the spring, but the lighter L3800 works just fine. So you have to determine what works for your needs.

/ New vs. Used Kubota and New Holland
thanks for the feedback on the weight. I do have some wetlands I'll have to navigate near. Maybe the kioti isn't the best idea...