Tractor Sizing What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm?

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #11  
Look at the dealers around you and sit as many different makes AND models of tractors as you can. I personally use a JD 5103 2wd and can do all that you've said but....... with hills and seeing as where you live 4wd would be better. 50+ hp would be my recommendation. Good luck.

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm?
Believe that you need 40+hp for your needs. If you intend to move the big hay bales with your front end than a spear atch on the front end is the way to go. I would suggest that you insist on a quick attach system on the front which many manufacturers now offer. You don't give any specifics on FEL work (moving dirt for example) so you need to consider what type of drive system you need (GST< HST etc...) Definitely seriously consider 4 WD

Loader work will include moving gravel around, grading driveways, and mucking out sheds. We do have some fairly steep hills, so I think 4WD is a must. I'm worried about stability mowing on the hillsides, but I do have the option of using an ATV with a pull behind mower if it gets too scary with the tractor.

How large a tractor is needed to lift a 1000 lb round bale with a loader?

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #13  
Maybe something like a KUBOTA L4600,MX4700/5100 or the Grand L4740 all will handle a 1,000lbs bale and 5/6ft shredder

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #14  
I would recommend John deere for quite a few reasons. Its not the cheapest, but a little more money now will pay you dividents down the road. Even if the deere would cost you 6000$ more up front and you keep the tractor for lets say 12 years thats $500 per year or 1.5 per day.
-Dealers are usually well stocked with parts.
-Better resale value
-reliability
-Everyone has a deere, those who don't wish they did!!!:cool2:
-its green and looks great.

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #15  
Look at all the brands. But also see how well your dealer treats you! Check around town to see how they are on service. Etc. What you like is what you will buy.

I own a Bobcat CT235 and we do a lot of business with bobcat so that's what I bought. I would suggest for you a
(bobcat CT440/CT445/CT450)
or (Deere 3520/3720 or the 4X20 series)

I don't keep up with other brands sizes but also check out Mahindra, Massy and Kubota brands!

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #16  
I have to agree with you there Catdozer! the way the dealer treats you is almost as important as the quality of the tractor. after months of research i came across some horrible sales reps but i finally found one dealer with not only good sales, but also goos after service and thats very important for me

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #18  
Loader work will include moving gravel around, grading driveways, and mucking out sheds. We do have some fairly steep hills, so I think 4WD is a must. I'm worried about stability mowing on the hillsides, but I do have the option of using an ATV with a pull behind mower if it gets too scary with the tractor.

How large a tractor is needed to lift a 1000 lb round bale with a loader?

I own a Kubota L3240 w/a 724 loader. It is the smallest in that grand L series line. I can move 1000lbs bales. My loader is listed as being able to lift 1865lbs at the pivot pins and 1415lbs at 500mm forward. Others may feel differently, but I would think what I have would be a minimum. If you mow heavy stuff my 26.5 PTO HP would be pushing it. I have no problem with using my 6ft bush hog mower, but I only mow grass. I would suggest more HP. Kubota's L3940 @ 33PTO HP, or a L4240 @36.5 PTO HP would be better. Or go to a 5ft mower.
As I said these are minimum sizes. You can go up. The M series are wider and heavier which would be more stable. As another poster pointed out, you can move bales with a 3pt hitch and get away with a smaller tractor.
How thick is your wallet? Within the same quality, bigger cost more. Smaller costs less, and sometimes fits in sheds easier.
I'm not pushing Kubota, I don't own any of their stock. I am just somewhat familiar with their tractors.
If you can afford it, think about a utility size rather than a compact utility.
There are lots of brands, built in different countries, even within the same brand. JD has some built in Japan an some in India, as do other brands. Build location matters to some people, and not to others. If that's important to you, ask the dealer.
Some things are personal, a friend of mine hates orange. Not the tractors, just the mfg. color choice. Some machines are louder than others, or the operators area is small. You need to get some hands on, to see what you can accept.

Have fun looking, Bill

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #19  
My DK50se Kioti (Kioti makes BobCat tractors, so CT450 is same except paint and loader), has 2,700 lb lift capacity, and they use the same loader for the DK 40 & 45 which is likely the sweet spot for you in bang/buck.

I needed lots of extras without the extra price, so I chose Kioti, and the Kioti Dealer treated me way better than my local Bobcat guy did so I ended up with the orange Kioti, not the white one.

1st decide what features you NEED (HST, 4x4, FEL lift, etc.) then look at all the tractors and dealers offering that set of features in a 40-50 hp unit, then pick the best deal/dealer that fits YOUR needs.

Tractor color is only paint skin deep, especially in the compact space we are talking about here. 300hp ag tractors is a different conversation...
Don't buy into the brand BS. A tractor is a TOOL, buy the best tool you can afford an will use.
'Nuff said