Tractor Sizing What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm?

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #21  
Just one point to make... regarding the 5 HP per rotary cutter foot in diameter...

I have a Ford 1920 (31 HP at PTO), and a JD 5 foot rotary cutter. In theory, I have more horsepower than I need according to rule of thumb. However, there are situations I run into where even my tractor/cutter combination requires me to gear down to a pretty slow speed to get through a rough patch of blackberries, or tall grass. Something to keep in mind: there's "able to do it," and then there's "able to do it at the speed I want to do it." Those are often two different horsepower ratings!

Kurt

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #22  
Man, 30 acres is a lot of mowing for a 6 foot bush hog. I agree with buying a 50 horse machine, but I'm sure I'd want a wider mower.
I really like the Massey 1648 4wd FEL and HST and would have bought one last winter, but it wouldn't fit in my barn. Massey's 2625 is a beast of a machine and would handle a batwing mower.

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #23  
Man, 30 acres is a lot of mowing for a 6 foot bush hog. I agree with buying a 50 horse machine, but I'm sure I'd want a wider mower.
I really like the Massey 1648 4wd FEL and HST and would have bought one last winter, but it wouldn't fit in my barn. Massey's 2625 is a beast of a machine and would handle a batwing mower.

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #24  
30 acres is a lot especially if you want to do it in one shot. However unless your're doing if commercially you can knock it out in 2 - 3 days with a 6 - 7 ft mower. It will also depend on what your're mowing and how tall. HST is great but mowing generally you set and forget so don't overlook geared. If you got hills or slopes then 4wd is your best friend but if it's mostly flat then 2wd will work just fine. I'd also look at what else you need to do over the long time.

Good luck

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #25  
I have a small operation about the size you have and raise a few head of Irish Dexter cattle and use my tractor much the way you are planning to do, as most here have stated a mid size tractor in the 40 hp and up range would be best suited for what you are wanting to do. There are plenty of good tractor brands available that size both new and used, the main thing is to find a good dealer.

My own choice was a TYM 453 cab and so far it has worked out fine for me.

Al

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm?
I was all set to buy a Kioti DK40SE with HST, but I ended up buying a used Kubota M6040 with hydraulic shuttle instead. I found it listed for sale not too far away at a good price, and I couldn't resist. I have had the tractor since Saturday and have been able to put in a few hours of seat time, mostly grading driveways and around barns with an 8' scraper blade and the front end loader. We tried out the bale spear as well. So far I am very impressed with the power and ease of use of the tractor. I couldn't be happier. Tomorrow I will pick up a 7' Kodiak rotary cutter, and this weekend I hope to start mowing about 20 acres at my inlaws, most of which hasn't been touched since last summer.

ForumRunner_20120828_210410.png

ForumRunner_20120828_210458.png

ForumRunner_20120828_210525.png

ForumRunner_20120828_210245.png

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #27  
That should do it:thumbsup:

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #29  
Congrats, the previous posts had your questions covered. this was outta my league (as I'm only considering the 30 hp range personally), but you found a great tractor.

don't forget to update your tractor profile from "none" to "Kubota M6040" and you'll be all set. Congrats and have fun doing the work.

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #30  
Nice unit!! ....that's what she said!!:p