Buying Advice Your Tractor selection Process

/ Your Tractor selection Process #1  

69runner

Tractor
Cub Cadet
Hi Everyone:

I was wondering about how long it took you to select and purchase your tractor. And, was this your first tractor or did you previously own or have some experience with tractors?

The reason I'm wondering is, I seem to be stuck in the old "paralysis by analysis" syndrome. I keep moving from tractor to tractor seeing both the strengths and weaknesses of each. I have really enjoyed spending the time reading about the different tractors, sizes, and implements since this is my first tractor. However, being into to the process about three months now I am not much closer on a decision.

I know everyone has different requirements and needs but just trying to see if most of you had similar experiences.

Thanks Much,
69runner

/ Your Tractor selection Process #2  
Dealer who was closest was a factor -- it helped to see him at the county fair, etc. Also, HP and weight for price w/ included FEL.

Overall, it took only a few days for me to decide when I was serious about it, but I had been mulling it over in the back of my mind for several months.

Owned "Satan" (an old 1970's Case 580 backhoe) first.

Marcus

/ Your Tractor selection Process #3  
I researched for around two years, while saving my money. I asked many different tractor owners questions throughout this time period. In the end, I narrowed my choices to two makes and models. I drove both models and made my decision, based on my present and future needs. One of the deciding issues also involved the profession demeanor and honesty regarding the dealership. It has been a year since I purchased my tractor and I can honestly state that I am happy with my choice. Best wishes.

/ Your Tractor selection Process #4  
Hi Everyone:

I was wondering about how long it took you to select and purchase your tractor. And, was this your first tractor or did you previously own or have some experience with tractors?

The reason I'm wondering is, I seem to be stuck in the old "paralysis by analysis" syndrome. I keep moving from tractor to tractor seeing both the strengths and weaknesses of each. I have really enjoyed spending the time reading about the different tractors, sizes, and implements since this is my first tractor. However, being into to the process about three months now I am not much closer on a decision.

I know everyone has different requirements and needs but just trying to see if most of you had similar experiences.

Thanks Much,
69runner

My process became more of selecting a dealer than a tractor manufacture. Within my area, John Deere, Kubota, and Kioti had dealer presents. From researching and asking questions here, I learned that all three brands were considered bullet-proof with Kioti being the newest member to the bullet proof family.

I talked (interviewed is more like it) with the dealers, detailed my needs and listened to what they advised. Some said they would call me back (and didn't) and some were just arrogant. Nothing than hasn稚 happen to most of us shopping for a tractor.

The dealer I selected turned out to never pressure me, always found time to talk with me, actually talked me down in what I thought I needed, and gave me real usage information. Turned out he has a lot of property close to where I live and had the experience I was about to learn.

He is a small dealer, what most would call a mom and pop operation, didn稚 advertise but relied on referrals. His business is built on customer satisfaction. Everything he told me (2 years now since I bought the tractor) turned out true and the one thing he always told me was a smaller tractor will do what a bigger tractor will do, just differently. I sized my tractor to the common tasks and have no regrets doing so.

The experience taught me not to shop for price but to fill the needs first, then find a dealer and select the model and features you want. A tractor is typically a long or life purchase so why worry about a few thousand dollars in options and features? I treated myself to a more featured model and after doing competitive pricing, the dealer I chose was still better priced than the rest.

I did good choosing my dealer and after 2 years and the customer service I致e had since, well, I致e done good. Right now, my dealer lent me his excavator for a project I have, yep, lent!

Shop for a dealer and don稚 hold back. Failure is lying on your death bed wishing you would have

/ Your Tractor selection Process #5  
Dealer location and reputation is top priority for me. Want dealer within 100 miles with full service and parts departments. Bought two new tractors. My first was a 2005 Kubota B7510 HST with the LA302 FEL. Second was a 2008 Mahindra 5525 with ML250 FEL.

/ Your Tractor selection Process #6  
I bought my first tractor blind, and after that experience ( a bad one), found TBN. That was where the two year clock started and I went from "Do I want Green or Japanese Orange" to "Joining the Pack" mainly by reading comments from all the different forums. I finally just said enough and set out to drive each of the brands I was interested in and set my mind to buy whatever I was going to order by week's end. It had gotten to the point I either had to rent/hire to get stuff done, or go get another tractor.

Bottom line I guess is that if you need the tractor bad enough, then go get one. If you can do without it, then perhaps continuing to waffle on your choice is okay. It don't cost as much to review your options as it does to buy.:thumbsup:

/ Your Tractor selection Process #7  
I bought a 1947 JD B and fixed it up about 1990 then started looking at other newer tractors. Ended up buying a used JD 2240 and fixed that up. As it was getting 'long on the tooth', wanted to get something newer and keep the 2240 as a backup. Actually was looking the whole time. I would go to the Kabota, Case, and New Holland dealerships every couple years, download pictures/stuff online, and basically druil over everything from time to time. I think that being near a dealership is not that important unless you are farming or in a business where you can't live with downtime. Being 'comfortable' with the dealer and the person that MAY have to do some warrantee work is very important. I have a 2001.5 Dodge Cummins diesel pickup, and that along with all of my tractors.... have ever been close to a dealership after I bought them. A dealership to me is just insurance, backup for if I can't handle something. You can get parts from them or online.... your call.

/ Your Tractor selection Process #8  
lets see how long did it take for me to buy a tractor not long.we had come out of a rough wet muddy winter.an sticking the big 2wd drive tractor a few times.a buddy wanted me to go look at disc cutters with him.so i went with him an we ended up looking at tractors.i found the tractor i wanted pretty quick a MX5100 HST 4x4 w/LA844 quicktatch loader.so we got the price on just the tractor then added the loader.an we talked about it on the way home.an he goes you wont buy that tractor an i says yeah im calling in the morning to buy it.an thats what i did.but i wasnt looking to buy that day but i did.

/ Your Tractor selection Process #9  
First Tractor - Cub 154 LoBoy gear drive - When we built here 22 years ago, it was obvious the 30-some inch riding mower was up for replacement. Goal was to find something cheap with a big deck. A dealer had the LoBoy with a 60" belly mower and a front "dozer" blade that filled the requirements and then some. At that time our 100 yard drive was gravel and the blade looked like a good idea. It had rear tire chains with it so it worked for snow removal. Downside was the work required to switch between blade and mower because they both needed the same rockshaft to raise and lower.

Second tractor - Ford 1210 HST - After the LoBoy, I wanted a tractor that had a 3PH for implements. 4WD would also be nice. The same dealer I bought the LoBoy from happened to have the Ford at a price that I couldn't resist. It was on the second floor of an old building they are in, and they nearly forgot about it because it wasn't outside with the other equipment. It was funny to ride the freight elevator down with the salesman and the little tractor (running). Bought a Caroni 5' RFM and have beat the snot out of it after getting the next tractor. The Caroni deck has a lot of welds on it but it still cuts nicely. Almost sold the Ford when I got the next tractor, but it was too handy. This is the tractor that sold me on HST.

Third tractor - Kubota B7500 HST - Wanted something with a few more horses, and Wifey for some reason thought it'd be nice to have a loader. Shopped for used compact 4WD's and found a couple Kubotas that were OK but not exactly right. One had a loader but looked beat up and another was much nicer but it had a belly mower. The salesman gave me a great deal on a new B7500 / HST / FEL / Landpride RFM. Had that tractor till about a month ago.

Current Tractor - Kubota L3200 HST / FEL / Landpride 6' RFM - It was time for a larger more comfortable tractor with still a few more horses. Although the B7500 was good to me, there were other players this time. Bobcat, Kioti and Mahindra were all in the running. Prices were very close for three of them but the Bobcat dealer was just way too proud of his tractor. As I mentioned in another thread, the Kubota felt better to me. One real nice feature with the Kubota is being able to remove or reinstall the loader in a minute without getting off the tractor. My loader is never on for mowing, and it gets a fair amount of use. I mowed on Thursday evening and found myself a little disappointed that it was finished so soon. I would have been happy spending another hour or so on the tractor.

/ Your Tractor selection Process
Thanks everyone. I do appreciate the input. I'll keep learning and seraching and looking for the best dealer. That too, I'm beginning to believe is probably the most important factor. That seams to be a very consistant theme from most folks. I'm still thinking the Mahindra Max28 or 3016 are great tractors and will be evertything and most likely more that I need.

Agian,
Thanks much!
69runner