Comparison Kubota BX2660 va. John Deere 1026r (Again)

/ Kubota BX2660 va. John Deere 1026r (Again) #1  

indianfan101

Tractor
Encore ZTR42
Hello everyone,

New to the forum and looking to get my first tractor soon. Residential use in Ohio, 2 acres to mow, 3 acres to keep clear, 250' driveway, and creek to keep clean. Lots of hills.

I believe that the Kubota and John Deere are the top choices with reputable dealers nearby. Obviously, very similar on a lot of fronts, but I found a large price difference in our area that I have not seen around this forum. If price were equal, I might favor the JD due to the ease of attachments.

After talking with each dealer, the JD nearly $3,000 more. My question is to get your thoughts on if this is a dealer problem, or if that is common to see such a large delta?

Thanks!

/ Kubota BX2660 va. John Deere 1026r (Again) #2  
The bx2660 and 1026R are the same price when comparably equipped, and financed. If I were you I would just settle for the bx. If the local JD dealer is trying to rip you off already, what's he going to do when your back is up against the ropes? Otherwise you'll have to buy the Deere non-local and suffer support issues. Which you'll likely need for the auto-connect, broken loader stand, broken dash levers, water in trans, and hydraulic leaks. I've not heard of the kubota having those issues.

/ Kubota BX2660 va. John Deere 1026r (Again) #3  
pricing is a local thing, but Kubota seems to continue to have a commanding price advantage in Subcompacts. Deere does offer a few features that would be nice, but not $3000 nice.

/ Kubota BX2660 va. John Deere 1026r (Again) #4  
When I was shopping in December, I could get a larger Kubota B series for the same price as the Deer 1026 (after appropriate haggling at both places to get to the bottom line). So I would be expecting the BX to cost less than the 1026 just based on that experience. Feature-wise, I happen to think the 1026 is the better sub-compact than a BX, but I don't think it's worth $3K more. Are you sure the Deere dealer is giving you the best price? You should be able to get 12-15% off MSRP.

/ Kubota BX2660 va. John Deere 1026r (Again) #5  
The bx2660 and 1026R are the same price when comparably equipped, and financed. If I were you I would just settle for the bx. If the local JD dealer is trying to rip you off already, what's he going to do when your back is up against the ropes? Otherwise you'll have to buy the Deere non-local and suffer support issues. Which you'll likely need for the auto-connect, broken loader stand, broken dash levers, water in trans, and hydraulic leaks. I've not heard of the kubota having those issues.

XSKIER, are you implying you're having all those issues with you 1026R? I have read the autoconnect can be touchy to get engaged, but that's about it as far as issues go on the new 1026R. Finally saw one in person last weekend. It's noticeably larger than it's BX counterpart. While I like some of the added features - position control hitch, oil cooler and a dedicated tach, the flimsy plastic was a big turn off for me. Didn't try any of the controls or even sit on it since the seat was wet from a recent rain storm.

To the OP, I'm biased and would probably choose the BX2660 over the 1026R for even money, and definitely for $3K less. Just one thing on the BX, make sure you're not going to want a backhoe afterwards. Can't add the Kubota hoe to the BX (only comes with the BX25) but you can buy the JD hoe later. You're only post purchase option for the BX would be a Woods hoe, which is nice but not as integrated as the BX25 hoe is.

/ Kubota BX2660 va. John Deere 1026r (Again) #6  
That's an almost impossible question for many of us. Initially I recommended the 1026R over the BX, but I'm not so sure any more. I love the extra features mentioned by CHDinCT and believe Kubota is going to have to step up, but I really don't care for all of the plastic either (we own a 2305) and prefer the "feel" of the BX.

I would recommend going to the dealership and trying them both out before making a decision; either way I would not pay an extra $3000 and personally I would be looking at the B Series and JD 2000 Series for your needs.

/ Kubota BX2660 va. John Deere 1026r (Again) #7  
That's a large percent difference between them. The JD has a ton more features, but for $3000 you could put pretty much all of them on the Kubota. If the JD dealer is really going to try and charge you $3k more, I'd be thinking about the Kubota a little harder.

/ Kubota BX2660 va. John Deere 1026r (Again) #8  
So why is it that nobody who recommends Kubota says that they would gladly pay more for it than for the competitor's? Would we be having the same conversation if the Kubota was priced $3000 higher? Or, would the Deere already be in the garage without a second thought? It seems from everything I've read that after someone makes a purchase of Kubota they try to justify what they may be missing by saying "well I saved thousands". I can totally respect a tractor budget, as I would've liked to buy much more than a SCUT. I know what it's like to be up against a budget limit and have many wants and needs. I simply bought what I wanted.

CHD,

I initially had AutoConnect issues. My deck was not level, too low in the front, and binding on the lift arms. I, however, am different than most one thousand series owners. I refuse to let the dealer touch my tractor for anything. I'm in touch with the service shop culture, and NOBODY will care for my tractor like I will. I may change my tune regarding warranty if the engine or trans drops out on day number 1094, but until then I'll handle all of the maintenance, repairs, and "adjustments". Customer service and support are not a selling feature to me, I just pick the machine I like best. I know most buyers don't subscribe to this notion, but it works for me.

I've had to learn this the hard way with my Chevy, the rookie mechanics assistants trashed three of the four door panels on a routine door lever recall. When I confronted my service advisor about my newfound rattling door panels and broken trim, he immediately claimed it my fault. He would gladly fix them if I covered the bill. Haven't been back since, and won't ever go to any GM service center again. I may still buy their product, but I'll handle it's care.

/ Kubota BX2660 va. John Deere 1026r (Again) #9  
I ahve to tread lightly here as to not offend and I am not bashing. I really liked the JD 1026R when I first saw it, and they do have a lot of nice features, but I am now scared of them. All you have to do is look at all the threads on them, here and on the green forum and it seems like it is just problem after problem. Loader stands that rub and crack, auto connect decks that don't auto connect with out changing springs and lots of fiddling, cruise and brake levers snapping off, leaking coolant overflow bottles, poor fit and finish where the rear fenders meet the rops, problems with the independant lifts. I think it is pretty sad. One would figure with Deeres reputation they wouldn't sell you that for top dollar.

/ Kubota BX2660 va. John Deere 1026r (Again) #10  
I've had to learn this the hard way with my Chevy, the rookie mechanics assistants trashed three of the four door panels on a routine door lever recall. When I confronted my service advisor about my newfound rattling door panels and broken trim, he immediately claimed it my fault. He would gladly fix them if I covered the bill. Haven't been back since, and won't ever go to any GM service center again. I may still buy their product, but I'll handle it's care.

It's not brand-specific. Dealer mechanics are just not good at finesse work like interior trim. I can't tell you the number of horror stories I hear from people about a dealer screwing up their interior for this fix or that fix. I would never trust a dealer with any interior work, period. Not even BMW or Mercedes. The term "grease monkey" is there for a reason.