Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    '73 MF135 & Montana 4540

Default Re: New versus Old

I have one of each. My Massey 135 starts every time and does what it does with no problems but with no FEL or 4wd or power steering it has it's limits.
    My Montana was so abused looking when I found it that no one else had even bothered to look at it in person after seeing pics even though it was listed with a grapple, cutter and boxblade at half price of what just the tractor should have brought. I finally went to look after he called 10 weeks later and dropped the price to 1/3 of what it should sell for in normal condition. What I found was cosmetic issues (greasy and dirty with some dents and scratches), leaks from never using new sealing washers on drain plugs and it needed a couple relays and switches replaced. After all that was taken care of this tractor has been as tough as the Massey but it sure is easier to use and does a whole lot more.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Ben Franklin
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1973 MF135 Perkins Gas and 2006 Montana 4540 w/FEL

Tractor
    MF 135 Z134 Continental, MF 1660 Cab

Default Re: New versus Old

Started off talking to farmers in my area before buying the 135. 12 years have passed, am getting a little older and am thinking I'll keep the 135 but purchase something new with a loader and cab. After dealer shopping / testing 40 - 60 HP tractors from MF, Kioti / Landini, LS, Mahindra, JD, kubota, Case and Branson, I've narrowed it down to two possibilities that my Mrs and I are both comfortable with that will fill all our needs well into the future.

Reason for keeping the 135, need to be able to work in the woods and don't want to have to replace glass.
    Reason for cabbed tractor, winter months.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12