Buying Advice Zero Turn Advice

/ Zero Turn Advice #11  
I wouldn't even consider TSC a dealer. Most aren't knowledgeable about the machines and furthermore they can provide no service after the sale. Not to mention too that the models sold at TSC or the bottom of the line models. I too have spent the last 2 months researching ZTR's and really any of the good manufacturers (Bad Boy, Hustler, Exmark, Ferris, Toro, Gravely, Dixie Chopper, Scag etc) make great machines. Yeah one might have a feature one of the others may not but they are all pretty solid machines. To me the biggest thing is dealer service. If there isn't a dealer near you I wouldn't consider that brand.

/ Zero Turn Advice #13  
Like LMan1967, I went through the same selection process a couple of years ago. It ame down to Exmark versus Hustler. I ended up buying the Hustler Fastrack Super Duty with 54" cut. I cut about 4 acres, much of which was pasture before then. This mower is a beast. Love it.

/ Zero Turn Advice
I'm becoming more convinced of the value in having a good local dealer. I talked to one last night that was pushing a Bobcat Fastcat Pro 61 for $7000. Is this a machine? Is this a good price? I didn't drive it, but did spend a lot of time looking at it. It looks well built and I like the 5 year, 500 hour warranty option.

/ Zero Turn Advice #15  
For the Bobcat price and cut width that seems like a very good deal. Also the 5 yr/500 hr warranty is nice to have for homeowner use.

I have the Ferris 2000 25 HP Kawa 52" cut (couldnt fit a 61" through places) and have been very happy with the suspension and ride as I cut rough areas and it is a lot of fun to run.

Since I only cut our land about 2-3 acres with lots of small areas it only runs 30-35 hours a year, so a 5 year warranty would have been nice to have (mine had 2 years up now) with no problems. I expect to get 20 years out of this machine.

The Bobcat Procat looks very nice and has all the right stuff- Kawasaki, wheel motors and pumps, the only thing if you can swing it get the deluxe high back seat or better suspension seat.

Carl

/ Zero Turn Advice #16  
I too am a huge ferris fan. I have the 1500z with 48 inch deck and absolutely love it. I mow 4.25 acres with it and my yard is a bit rough so the suspension really helps. I had all intentions on buying the 3100z 60 inch until i tried it out on my lawn..... beautiful mower dont get me wrong but my lawn is so uneven it just scalped it and it looked like crap. Hence the 48 inch deck that i have had for 5 years now with not a single problem. I did add a atripe kit to it and when kept up with my lawn looks amazing considering it used to be a cow pasture. good luck to you in the buying process.
P.S. most dealers have demos and will let you test run em. have fun with that. most good quality zeros sell themselves. more food for thought, go with a welded deck not a stamped one and any of them should last you a lifetime or close to it.

/ Zero Turn Advice #17  
I've got a Gravely 48 zero turn. I'd not recommend it. I think my neighbor's Exmark or Landpride are better machines.

/ Zero Turn Advice
My dying Ariens EZR1742 is made by Gravely -- I'm not impressed with it at all (but to be fair, it's probably 20+ years old and not a high end machine)

/ Zero Turn Advice #19  
I have an Exmark 48" ZTR and it is great. I really like the fact that it has the mower deck suspended by chains. If you hit something with the deck edge it doesn't mess up the alignment. I would definitely stay away from a stamped metal deck and agree with the manual height adjustment - simple and will not break. Once you get use to the ZTR you will be amazed at how fast you can mow. There is a learning curve with tight turns - if you turn too fast or tight you will leave a 'skid' mark where the faster turning wheel rips out the grass. I try to do three point turns in places where that might happen. Good luck with it - you will love it. - Mike

/ Zero Turn Advice #20  
Another vote for excel/hustler. On my second fast track and really like them. Ferris would be my second choice. IMO, since you can really increase mowing speed with a ztr, deck width becomes a secondary factor, I have a 54". One consideration may be any possible plans for fencing and gate widths. I can drive to mom's, unload the ztr, cut her 1.5 acre lot (trees and flower bed obstacle course) and back on the trailer in just under an hour.