Looking to upgrade. Thinking 5085m or M8540

/ Looking to upgrade. Thinking 5085m or M8540 #1  

cdythms

Tractor
case g430
I'm new to the site although I have been lurking for sometime now. Currently don't own a tractor per say, but my family, which all live on the same 30 acre tract of land, shares a fairly run down Case G430 with a FEL. The tractor still runs decent but has lots of issues as any old worn tractor would, so Im wanting to upgrade to my own non shared tractor.

It would be used for some land clearing, Fairly young(15-25 years old) woods with mostly what we call Chicken Trees(Chinese Tallow), small oaks and pecan, amongst others. Mowing pastures about 15 acres, and Building up and leveling a few acres to build a shop on. And Im sure once I have a good reliable tractor I would find more uses.

Im looking mostly at the Kubota M8540/M9540 and JD 5085-50105M. Either would be 4wd, have a FEL and probably open station. Im leaning towards slightly used because of price. I haven't been to a dealer yet to check out the models for a size comparison to what I currently run but expect them to be a bit larger than what Im used to. Any input would be helpful as I don't really want to buy too much or too little tractor.

/ Looking to upgrade. Thinking 5085m or M8540 #2  
I would hire out a dozer to do the land clearing and t ocreate the building pad for the shop. I think you could could get away with a smaller tractor. Personally i would look into a Kubota M6800 or 7040. I don't know much about Deere model numbers, but something in to 60-70 HP range should be all that you need. You could run a 10' mower that HP. 15 acres isn't all that much to cut with a 10' mower.

/ Looking to upgrade. Thinking 5085m or M8540 #3  
heres something i learned the other day about JD.the baler man had the altanator go out on his tractor.called the JD dealer an priced it there for $1200.called an altanator shop an bought 1 for $300.but personally id go with the kubota 8540.as i own a mx5100 hst 4x4 w/fel.

/ Looking to upgrade. Thinking 5085m or M8540 #4  
How much experience do you have operating a tractor or doing this type of work?

/ Looking to upgrade. Thinking 5085m or M8540
Not much experience with dirt work. I basically use the tractor for mowing and front end loader work. I do have a good friend that operates a dozer for a living at his dads company. He said he will help me learn about dirt work etc. If the project is to much to undertake my self i will hire him to do it. All that said I am pretty sure any newer diesel tractor will have a substantially amount more working power than the old gas machine does.

/ Looking to upgrade. Thinking 5085m or M8540 #6  
Not much experience with dirt work. I basically use the tractor for mowing and front end loader work. I do have a good friend that operates a dozer for a living at his dads company. He said he will help me learn about dirt work etc. If the project is to much to undertake my self i will hire him to do it. All that said I am pretty sure any newer diesel tractor will have a substantially amount more working power than the old gas machine does.

That sounds like an excellent plan. We have brought in heavier equipment for the jobs we didn't feel like tackling with our equipment. We will rent something this summer to tackle some saplings and heavy brush we could do with our M8540, but don't want to put the wear and tear on it.

A couple of years ago, my sons decided to build a U shaped firing range at their training center and "save a little money" doing it themselves. They ran an 80 HP Case and 72 HP MF with loaders and later our M8540 and L5030. We spent more in diesel than if we had a dozer come in and do it. Then last year the floods washed it out.:mad:

We really like our M8540 HDC, but the John Deere is also an excellent tractor. When buying used, we don't pay any attention to color.

Good luck and keep us posted.

/ Looking to upgrade. Thinking 5085m or M8540 #7  
Those are BIG rigs for a small property? I'm using a L3800 and old L3750 on 400 acres, mostly wooded.

But nothing wrong with that if you can afford to go BIG... :D