Size Decision

/ Size Decision #1  

meledward23

Gold Member
Tractor
1025R
Looking for a tractor. I am settled on a BX or much less likely the 1026r, though I still need to work the dealers over.

If I go BX, there is the 18hp and 23hp decision.

I had 40+ acres a TC55da and TC30. NOW I am on 1.5acres. A minifarm. The tractor is just to help out around the place with NO mowing duties. This tractor is to pull a moldboard (turn the 1/2 acre garden), tiller, boxblade, use a FEL to push around my compost pile, help spread the compost pile. Pull a small dump trailer with a leaf vacuum so I can go steal all my neighbors leaves for my compost.

Obviously with such a small property the smaller framed SCUT's seem logical as most the paths and such are built for my ZTR. I have a lot of seat time in the bigger machines. Down sizing I am pretty confident I could be okay with a BX1860 to do the above. But, what do I know I have never run a SCUT or anything below 30hp period (except dedicated grass cutters).

With a 23HP coming in around 1,500 more than the 18hp, that is a lot of money for implements. Two rules of tractors, more power is better and more implements gets more stuff done. Well with the budget something will have to give and that extra 1,500 would be a few things.

Oh, do any of these Scuts have rear remotes? I have an old dump trailer that isnt too big but it ran off the rear hydraulics on my other tractors. In fact I couldnt imagine having a tractor without rear hydrualic remotes. Course, with a Scut I suppose Hydraulic Top Links are non existent from what I have seen.

Oh and I have never pulled a moleboard with a hydrostatic, I presume that isnt a problem.

/ Size Decision #2  
Look up the thread by bp fick in which he compares his trade of the BX for B; very good information. We own a BX2660 and JD2305 and for your chores, I would go with a B.

/ Size Decision #3  
why not another New Holland

/ Size Decision #4  
Go a little bigger (and not much more expensive) and get Bobcat Ct122 (that has one factory rear remote and lever beside the rockshaft lever) or the Massey 1526 that can be had with two. Just a thought if you need the rear hydraulics...rather than having to plumb something up yourself.

/ Size Decision #5  
I think anything with a hydraulic pump can have remote hydraulics. I have a JD 332 14 HP diesel lawnmower that I bought used with 2 pair of hydraulic remotes. No idea what they are used for except one is for raising the mower deck and the same lever must also activate one set of remotes.
A BX may not come with rear remotes, but likely they can be added easily enough. The cost to do it might be put more reasonably toward a larger frame size like a B model that can have them already installed. Prices for installing a set of rear remotes by the dealer runs around $1500 per quotes here on TBN. Factory installed is alway cheaper.
If you need rear remotes, then the best choice is going to be a tractor with that option from the factory.
Personally I like theKubota B series from 23 to 30 Hp all on the same size frame and not a lot of difference in price although if you consider 1500 a lot of money to spend for 5 more HP, you may not want to consider them although I think (havent priced them) that the BX and B are not a big difference in price but you get much higher ground clearance in the B over the BX. Your choice depends on what you want. Personally I consider the BX to be a glorified lawnmower which will surely get me flamed by BX owners here.

/ Size Decision #6  
Personally I like the Kubota B series from 23 to 30 Hp all on the same size frame and not a lot of difference in price although if you consider 1500 a lot of money to spend for 5 more HP, you may not want to consider them although I think (haven't priced them) that the BX and B are not a big difference in price but you get much higher ground clearance in the B over the BX. Your choice depends on what you want. Personally I consider the BX to be a glorified lawnmower which will surely get me flamed by BX owners here.

Not to worry; lots of people think the same thing and a lot don't even consider a B or JD 2000 Series a tractor.

/ Size Decision
Well I was thinking I wanted a 'Glorified Lawnmower'.

As I said I have run a TC-30 which based on dimensions would be comparable to most the B-series in size. While it doesnt seem to be that much larger than a SCUT it really is. On limited land I was thinking a glorified lawnmower would just be more suitable.

I know a TC-30 can handle and get it done. If it hadnt gone when the land went it would be here now.

When I had the TC-55da it was perfect for our farm for me. It was a little large for running down the barn isles in the 40 stall barn with the indoor arena, but it did fine. I bought the TC-30, because I didn't want the help driving a gear driven 55hp tractor down those isles. It would probably take the barn down if it went through a beam. Having those two tractors I really learned to appreciate the idea 1) you never have enough power 2) size matters, a) bigger is great b) smaller is awesome c) I would never have given either machine away if I still had all that land.

But, I dont have that much land. I don't have to have remotes but if you have ever had them I am not sure how you run equipment without them, its like having powered windows (and if it is, in compact subcompact cars, meh, but in my 1ton thats huge as I cant even reach across the cab). The real advantage of a a Compact over sub would be I probably still have a few implements sitting around that might fit on it. Though not so sure how much. Most of the stuff I have is for the 55da and on Cat2.

/ Size Decision #8  
bp fick went with the B2320 for ground clearance in gardening as he found the BX to have too little.

/ Size Decision
Thanks Triple. You have me back to considering Cut's again, BP Fricks was interesting as what he uses it for is very similar to my tasks.

Back to rethinking this from the ground up.