New here - Should I care about written specs?

/ New here - Should I care about written specs? #1  

tkappeler

Platinum Member
Tractor
TYM T293
New here and looking to purchase my first tractor. My needs include lots of FEL work moving fill dirt at new home on flat 3.5 acres, mulch, pallets of stone for landscaping, and possibly finish mowing in the future.

I am trying to compare specs side by side for the Kioti CK20HST, Mahindra Max22 and 2216, TYM 273, Kubota bx2360. My impressions so far of these are:

Kioti - web site hasn't been updated in a long time as they still reference the "new" 2011 lines, so I am not really confident but hear they make a good product.
TYM - read great things here but some really awful things as well.
Kuboto - great product but pricey.
Mahindra - lots of positive feedback sprinkled with strong opinions by owners of OTHER makes.

Should I care about small differences in PTO HP, hydraulic pump capacities within these units or simply concentrate on lift capacities, features such as position control, ergonomics, warranties and dealer strength?

Tom

Last edited:
   / New here - Should I care about written specs? #2  
You have listed 4 compact tractors and one subcompact(BX is a subcompact). Specs do matter.

Position control matters to some, for my purposes it isn't necessary.

Ergonomics is a biggy..........if you aren't comfortable you will hate the machine.

Warranties and dealer strength are very important also.

But as I stated earlier, when comparing tractors, it is necessary to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

/ New here - Should I care about written specs? #3  
I would look at the specs but wouldn't get lost in them. When looking at the fel specs as an example you should also consider the fact that some makers may be more conservative in their ratings too.

/ New here - Should I care about written specs? #4  
Tkappeler,

Out of those four tractors, I like the TYM T273 the best. It is the most powerful and largest. It is the only one in the group with USABLE steering brakes on the left side. It has Deere style twin directional pedals. The fuel tank is not in the hood. The loader control is in the right place and very comfortable to use. The rest just seem like a loader is an afterthought. If the deal and dealer are right, I would jump on the TYM before it gets away!

/ New here - Should I care about written specs? #5  
I would look at the specs but wouldn't get lost in them. When looking at the fel specs as an example you should also consider the fact that some makers may be more conservative in their ratings too.

I agree with this on both parts. One company will indicate lift capacity at a specific point on the FEL, another company will indicate lift capacity at a different point (one might be at the end of the loader arm while the other might be in the middle of the bucket). The numbers are extremely hard to compare one manufacturer against another. If you're trying to decide which tractor from a particular maker, they're more useful.

JD lists the lifting capacity of my tractor / loader at 1050 pounds. There are posts on this forum of people showing "my tractor" lifting 1100 pounds to full height.

Should you be concerned about pump rates? Yes. "Lots" of loader work will feel like an insurmountable amount of loader work if your recirc pump capacity is too low. The volume of those pumps has a lot to do with how quickly the loader will move in response to your input as well as how strong it might be.

Do you need to buy your tractor "by the numbers"? No. But, you should understand what the numbers mean within a particular manufacturer and find the right machine from them to suit your needs. Do the same for all makers and you'll be better able to compare price. You absolutely need to factor in the dealer relationship, especially if you'll potentially buy other products from them (leaf blowers, chain saws, etc).

If you're going to be having stone delivered on pallets, and you expect to lift and move those pallets, you're going to need a fairly capable machine. Pallets of landscape pavers and stone weigh at least half a ton, and typically a full ton. My tractor, although good sized for what I need it to do, will not touch those pallets.

Don't buy "what you need". Buy more. You WILL find heavier work for it to do, and the last thing you want to do is have to trade up an almost new machine. If you can't buy more than you need, then buy smaller, but still at the max of what you will do routinely. Renting a much larger machine for a few days is quite a bit cheaper than buying a huge machine to mostly mow the lawn with. Once your property is situated, you may not have a need for a large machine any more.

/ New here - Should I care about written specs? #6  
The specs are important, but should be taken with a grain of salt. That website information is as much advertising as it is information.

As Don wrote...ergonomics...how does the tractor fit you (rhetorical question)? And, is the dealer stable? Meaning, will he still be in business if and when you need him?

You really need to visit the dealers and set on those tractors.

Although I'm a Deere guy, I really don't push brands...just don't go for a "fly by night" brand.

/ New here - Should I care about written specs? #7  
Pretty much what jenkinsph said, I consider them along with everything else, certainly not preeminent if they are a true model to model comparison. I would look at and drive them all as much as possible and give them a LOT of thought. A good dealer is essential to me.

Things I have noticed is tractors tend to "shrink" once you get it on your property working, sometimes what you initially disliked you come to prefer and don't get hung up over a few bucks if it will get you some added features.

/ New here - Should I care about written specs? #8  
Things I have noticed is tractors tend to "shrink" once you get it on your property working, sometimes what you initially disliked you come to prefer and don't get hung up over a few bucks if it will get you some added features.

Very true. It looks like a beast in the showroom and like a cute little kitten when you're trying to dig a hole for your new nuclear fallout shelter. :)

And, by "a few bucks", I would suggest you consider spending up to 10% more on a different machine if it gets you more functionality. The one thing I bought for my tractor that my wife thought was nuts is pallet forks. I use them ALL the time and she admits it was the best piece I got for the tractor. It's easy to overestimate how much use certain things will get, but a bucket and forks are easy to underestimate.

/ New here - Should I care about written specs?
... Renting a much larger machine for a few days is quite a bit cheaper than buying a huge machine to mostly mow the lawn with. Once your property is situated, you may not have a need for a large machine any more.

Thanks for that. I had already come to that conclusion so I feel validated! :) I was originally thinking of a backhoe also but realized that for $200/day, I could rent an awful lot of backhoe days for the cost of buying my own.

I will be driving later this week to see the three dealers that carry the above lines so I can actually put my butt in them.

/ New here - Should I care about written specs? #10  
New here and looking to purchase my first tractor. My needs include lots of FEL work moving fill dirt at new home on flat 3.5 acres, mulch, pallets of stone for landscaping, and possibly finish mowing in the future.

I am trying to compare specs side by side for the Kioti CK20HST, Mahindra Max22 and 2216, TYM 273, Kubota bx2360

Tom

One of your listed intended uses is "Move Pallets Of Stone". No compact or sub-compact I know of will move a pallet of stone. A pallet of stone is heavy, very heavy. Another thing to consider when looking is can you buy "Pallet Forks" for the tractor you are looking at and does it have "Quick Attach" features for the bucket and pallet forks.