Is my line of thinking logical?

/ Is my line of thinking logical? #1  

illymost

Tractor
none
Sorry for another what should I buy thread, but here's what I got.

My wife and I just bought 104 acres in north GA. 35 Acres in pasture, 20 Acres in damp bottom land, the remainder in brush and pines. The land has some slope to it. Averages 7 or 8 degrees but probably 20 degrees on some of the trails in the woods. There are some old stumps I'd like to get out of some of the trails. I'd like to widen the existing trails and cut some more. I need to keep up with the pasture, we'd eventually like to hay some of the pasture. Gonna need to grade out the driveway and dig plenty of holes for fencing. I really like the M6800 but would like to stay around 30,000 including implements. The previous owner says I need 4wd and at least 60 HP. My problem is, I think I'm going to have to buy new because of financing which in turn pushes me out of my 30,000 budget. Does it sound like I could go with a little less tractor, maybe something around 50 HP?

Also I have a full time job so getting the jobs done in a timely fashion is a must. Thanks in advance.

/ Is my line of thinking logical? #2  
If you are on this site your thinking could not possibly be logical. lol Fifty horse power should do anything you want to do on your property some jobs might take a little longer but think of all the big farm work that was done in years past with 25 to 30 horsepower. The hydraulic setup of a new tractor will determine a lot of what you can do. Another point; the bigger the power potential the more expensive the implements. If you overpower you can break a lot of stuff. Depending on the size and condition of the stumps you might want to consider a stump grinder. Piston has the insde scoop on that tool. Welcome to the bunch.
Smilinjak

/ Is my line of thinking logical?
Thanks for the reply. I don't know too much about tractors and don't want to regret going smaller, but I think the financial realities will override any feelings of regret in size, lol.

/ Is my line of thinking logical? #4  
Sometimes the realities of the finances over ride the fantasy of desire. If money was no object (independently wealthy) I would have a different size tractor for every day of the week. As it is I have one that I make do with. The shopping and drooling, what iffing , and maybe I oughtas can keep you entertained for a long time. Doesn't get much work done though.
Smilinjak

/ Is my line of thinking logical? #5  
104 acres isn't just a whole lot. I see no reason why a 50hp tractor w/loader wouldn't handle 90% of all the things you might want to do. ****, you could probably do 75% with a 40hp tractor. I've done a heck of a lot of mowing, farming, earth moving, and fencing with a gas engine 1953 Ford NAA with 30hp on 1000 mixed acres.

You could hire out the clearing/stumping jobs and have them done in a more timely manner than you might pay for a bigger rig to do them yourself. You can easily, easily hay 35 acres with a 40-50hp tractor.

In a modern CUT, you are not buying a seudo-bulldozer. It's a maintenance machine, not a primary reclamation machine. It will do a fair amount and surprise you. But it's not a replacement for iron and experience.

Get a contractor in there to take out the serious obstacles and buy a tractor to maintain them afterwards.

/ Is my line of thinking logical? #6  
I agree with JoeinTX, a 50hp tractor should do all you need. The heavier the equipment, the more it cost to operate, maintain or repair. Your main concern is the long term needs, not something that once done will never have to do again. If the job is too big, get someone to help or hire it done. Having a neighbor that could help goes a long way and could lead to making a good friend that could help one another. Is there such a thing as one tractor fits all, Hmmmmm, "Farmall"? Apparently someone thought so at some point. The front wheel assist on the CUT's is a game changer, on a 50hp tractor, if that isn't big enough you probably shouldn't be doing it by yourself, get some help.
Kurt

/ Is my line of thinking logical? #7  
As mentioned on another recent thread, horsepower is only part of the equation as weight, transmission ype, hydraulic output, lift capacities will vary. A Kubota Grand L 5240 will perform differently than an M5040. Generally speaking, I am pretty much in agreement with the others, you are in the ball park; now HST vs Gear Ag vs Industrial, Cab vs Open Station, how many rear remotes, accessories/attachments etc.

/ Is my line of thinking logical?
Appreciate the responses guys. I'll probably go with one remote and the hydraulic shuttle. What do you guys think of the Kubota MX series. I've heard it's kind of a bare boned tractor, but at this point it should have everything I would need. I don't think they come with a remote. Also I would go open cab, ag tires, 4WD. Front loader, rotary cutter, post hole digger. What's the learning curve on using the front loader to even out the driveway? Is it worth it to get a box blade? Thanks again.

/ Is my line of thinking logical? #9  
A box blade is very worthwhile, especially for any length of gravel road.
I'd also suggest pallet forks and if you can afford it a grapple.

Other good accessories are a 20' trailer and a diesel dually :)

/ Is my line of thinking logical? #10  
a MX5100 HST 4x4 w LA844 quicktatch loader will do everything you want it todo an more.an its a nice size tractor.if your going tobe in the woods alot you really need R4 tires.as they wont puncture so easy.