Tractor Sizing Bought 9ac; What size used tractor do I need?

/ Bought 9ac; What size used tractor do I need? #1  

GB26JJ

Tractor
Just Now Looking!
Hello, all. I just bought 9ac of land in 'the country' and will soon begin building. I anticipate needing a tractor --both now, and lots more in the future-- but am a complete newbie in this field! Thanks in advance for any advice/recommendations on what to buy, when to use, etc.

NEEDS:
1. The driveway from the road to where the house will be is only ~250ft, but is VERY steep (approx 80-100' higher than road) and is currently in need of leveling, making drainage work, etc. I just had a guy come in with forrestry equipment to cut the path and it's a LOT better than before, but now there's a ton of cedar mulch left behind from his work. Before I put down rock or pave a driveway, I think this mulch should be removed, the driveway leveled, drainage cut on the sides, etc. Any size 'need' here? Any safety stuff I should be thinking about as far as what to purchase to drive up and down this steep hill?

2. The land is basically a cedar thicket...not nice cedars, either. Round, wide, ugly ones. On the 'front half' I anticipate clearing a majority of these cedars and on the 'back half' we'll probably choose a few to remove for our purposes, but keep the rest --- the deer like it back there and I'm sure my kids will like them having 'their place' back there. What size tractor is needed (and equipment?) to pull a cedar stump and drag to a pile for burning?

3. "Shredding," mowing, etc. Again, right now there's not a lot of grass-type stuff to be mowed, but I hope to change that over time. Before this site, everything was a "bush hog," but I'm beginning to understand that there's a difference in what these things do. I think up front I need it to be able to take care of some of the thick underbrush type stuff, but also would be nice to do more of a finishing type cut around the soon-to-be house and yard. Would you keep a regular push mower or riding mower for the 1ac-ish of "yard" and use the tractor only on the other area?

4. Gardening. My wife has really enjoyed small gardening here in the city, so I assume we'll do something a lot bigger next year after the move. What kind of attachment will help most here? Tiller? Discs?

BUDGET:
We've got some money in the bank that we've saved for the past 9 years for the house, but I don't want to spend it on a tractor necessarily. I've read (here and elsewhere) that OLD doesn't necessarily mean BAD with tractors, and Craigslist has several used tractors in the area. However, not knowing a thing about tractors, it makes the search difficult. Bottom line, would like to stay under $5,000 if I can do so and still be wise with the purchase.

Again, thanks for helping newbies like me out.

--Jason

/ Bought 9ac; What size used tractor do I need? #2  
Hello, all. I just bought 9ac of land in 'the country' and will soon begin building. I anticipate needing a tractor --both now, and lots more in the future-- but am a complete newbie in this field! Thanks in advance for any advice/recommendations on what to buy, when to use, etc.

NEEDS:
1. The driveway from the road to where the house will be is only ~250ft, but is VERY steep (approx 80-100' higher than road) and is currently in need of leveling, making drainage work, etc. <snip> Any safety stuff I should be thinking about as far as what to purchase to drive up and down this steep hill?
That's a 30 to 40% slope! I'd suggest a parachute!

2. The land is basically a cedar thicket...not nice cedars, either. Round, wide, ugly ones. On the 'front half' I anticipate clearing a majority of these cedars and on the 'back half' we'll probably choose a few to remove for our purposes, but keep the rest --- the deer like it back there and I'm sure my kids will like them having 'their place' back there. What size tractor is needed (and equipment?) to pull a cedar stump and drag to a pile for burning?
The best way to get a one time job like that done is hire it out to a dozer.
3. "Shredding," mowing, etc. Again, right now there's not a lot of grass-type stuff to be mowed, but I hope to change that over time. Before this site, everything was a "bush hog," but I'm beginning to understand that there's a difference in what these things do. I think up front I need it to be able to take care of some of the thick underbrush type stuff, but also would be nice to do more of a finishing type cut around the soon-to-be house and yard. Would you keep a regular push mower or riding mower for the 1ac-ish of "yard" and use the tractor only on the other area?
For 1 acre I'd get a pull behind finish mower. I actually would not mow an acre.
4. Gardening. My wife has really enjoyed small gardening here in the city, so I assume we'll do something a lot bigger next year after the move. What kind of attachment will help most here? Tiller? Discs?
A plow and discs or a tiller. Plow might be needed for breaking new ground, unless you are using land cleared of stumps by a dozer.
BUDGET:
We've got some money in the bank that we've saved for the past 9 years for the house, but I don't want to spend it on a tractor necessarily. I've read (here and elsewhere) that OLD doesn't necessarily mean BAD with tractors, and Craigslist has several used tractors in the area. However, not knowing a thing about tractors, it makes the search difficult. Bottom line, would like to stay under $5,000 if I can do so and still be wise with the purchase.

Again, thanks for helping newbies like me out.

--Jason
I'd think you require 4WD and 30 plus horsepower, which would probably exceed $5K.

/ Bought 9ac; What size used tractor do I need? #3  
as soon as I saw the steep.. I also think you should get 4wd.

9ac? no reason a 26-35 hp tractor wouldn't do fine.. size implements and hp according to maneuverability you need..

/ Bought 9ac; What size used tractor do I need? #4  
Clearing trees and leveling large area in steep terrain is best left to a dozer. You can destroy a tractor trying to dig up cedar tress which have one of the most aggressive root systems of any tree.
Get a contractor to come in and do all your clearing and road building in a day and get it piled for burning. Then get a small tractor with a bush hog for keeping the wild area cut to prevent the cedars from overtaking it again. A 8N Ford is a good old iron tractor with plenty of parts available. In my area, you can find one that has been rebuilt and repainted for about $2500 including a bush hog in most instances. You just need to get a over-run PTO clutch to go on it for mowing as it doesnt have a live PTO which means when you push in the clutch, it a bushhog is attached the momentum of the blades will push you forward till the blades stop spinning. An over run clutch will let it freewheel so you can change gear and or stop without stopping the blades from turning. Find one withe the 12 volt conversion done on it also. Two row cultivators and disc are readily available for these tractors also. I would suggest that you find someone to go along with you that is tractor knowledgeable when shopping for used or new for that matter to suggest some things to check and look at as for options, trouble to spot etc.

/ Bought 9ac; What size used tractor do I need? #5  
OK, using Search Tempest to search CL in your area:

Killeen area:
JD 4700 TLB for $4402--sounds like a good deal at a great price, IF it checks out OK.
Ford 3000 for $2950--would handle your jobs pretty well
Massey Ferguson 205 for $4250--ditto
JD 5420 with 4WD for $4900--I'd take a look at this one but price sounds low--may have problems

You can check the specs on these tractors at TractorData.com

TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of tractors

Good luck.

/ Bought 9ac; What size used tractor do I need? #6  
Guy at work just put this one up for sale today pauls 1910.JPG Im pretty sure he said $4500....
I have more pics if interested just got them uploaded. It has(1600hrs)

/ Bought 9ac; What size used tractor do I need? #7  
I have a JD870 for my 9 acres. Similar to the Ford 1910. You do not pull cedar stumps with a tractor this size unless the stump were cut 10 years ago. I grub out roots and it takes me a 1/2 hour or so to get a cedar root ball out. As others mentioned either Mother Time or bigger equipment to dig out a lot of cedar stumps. My land is relatively flat so 2wd is ok. Occasionally I want to see 4wd when moving compost.