Price Check Talking down a dealer on a used tractor

/ Talking down a dealer on a used tractor #1  

29toter

Tractor
Oliver 1800A
I'm looking (just looking right now) at used utility tractors in the 10 -30 year old category. There are several on websites that look interesting, almost all are dealers. I know there is no magic number or percentage but about how much should one be able to talk the dealer down on an old used tractor? It seems like there should be some room to negotiate, or am I out of my tree? And the asking prices on the web are the fair going market rate?

/ Talking down a dealer on a used tractor #2  
Depends on each individual dealer. Most dealers won't give you bottom dollar unless you are committing to buy "Today" Ken Sweet

/ Talking down a dealer on a used tractor #3  
If you see a tractor you like make an offer, all the dealer can say is Yes or No. I think there is room to negotiate on most used equipment.
Don't fall for the "buy today" sales pitch, any good dealer will give you time to "sleep on it".
Good luck,
Ken

/ Talking down a dealer on a used tractor #4  
thats an easy 1 as said if you see a tractor you like make them an offer.all they can do is say no.

/ Talking down a dealer on a used tractor #5  
It all depends on the preceived value of the tractor by the seller.
It is your job to wear them down, make them think they are asking
to much money for it.

First have your neighbor to the right call about the unit you want.
He is to laugh at the salesman and belittle him for trying to get
such a huge amount of money for the tractor. You must tell
them you think, and your research says, it is only worth $xxxx.00
TOPS.

Next your neighbor on the left, a day or so later calls and repeats
the process (bonus points if voices are disguised and they stop in
and tear down the saleman a little more personally. ) You must tell
them you think, and your research says, it is only worth $xxxx.00
TOPS.

Each neighbor should contact the general manager and complain about
the high price. You must tell them you think, and your research says, it
is only worth $xxxx.00 TOPS.

So your wearing them down....now, you the real buyer walks in and you make
an offer just a weinsie bit higher than what others have been telling the stealer
they think it is worth. The chances of getting the price reduced is now MUCH greater.

Welcome the the real world.

/ Talking down a dealer on a used tractor #6  
I might do a little negotiating, but darned if I need to get the price down enough to become a liar and fraud. And for anyone who does that, I would certainly hope the seller knows enough to not be taken in by it.

But I guess it's tried by some. When I sold my last Kubota, when the buyer first showed up, he tried that old trick of telling my a dealer had priced a new one at that price. I asked, "Where is that dealer? I'll take 2 at that price." So he didn't have an answer, but discontinued lying.

/ Talking down a dealer on a used tractor #7  
The sad fact is, and were talking "used" here, is that
99% of all "used" salesfolks are indeed, fraudsters and liars.

/ Talking down a dealer on a used tractor #8  
offer what you think its worth and leave.:2cents:

/ Talking down a dealer on a used tractor #9  
The sad fact is, and were talking "used" here, is that
99% of all "used" salesfolks are indeed, fraudsters and liars.

I'm known for being cynical, but I ain't that cynical yet.:laughing: I agree that you're right about some used salesfoks, but I think your percentage number is way, way too high.:laughing:

/ Talking down a dealer on a used tractor #10  
Figure out what you are willing to pay, what the tractor is worth to you. Make the offer. Be honest with yourself, because you may not end up with that tractor. If they don't take it, leave your number and tell them to call when they want to sell it. In the meantime, keep looking. I call it the eBay model; put in the highest bid you can live with and let it ride.