Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L3200, Ford 1210

Default Re: Deciding between L3800 and JD3320

Had a 5' belly mower when we first moved in back in 1989/90. Went with a 5' 3-point around 1992 with the first little 4WD diesel. Bought a new 5' 3-point with the B7500 in 2002, and now a 6' 3-point with the L3200. I prefer RFM's or I wouldn't keep getting them. To say I never whacked anything with it would be a lie, but I recall bumping a few things with the belly mower as well. I like being able to swing it under trees/shrubs and being able to back up to the creek bank on occasion. There's also some adjustment on where it tracks, so you can keep the tractor a few more inches away from rolling into the creek.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3800DT, L3750DT Shuttle

Quote Originally Posted by chicklin View Post
    Any concerns about not having an underbelly finish mower option?

Anyone have any comments on rear-finish mower vs. underbelly? For RFM, pull behind or 3-pt mount? Neither is a requirement, but if I can get rid of my riding mower in the process, so much the better.

I'll search the forums, but any pointers would be helpful.
    No concerns at all! Personally, I feel the L3800 is too big to be a lawn mower with mid mount mower. I use a 5' and 6' rotary mower on mine, as I have all tractors before this one.
    Don
    Kubota L3750 Hydro Shuttle, 4wd, FEL; L3800 Gear drive, 4wd, FEL
    Husqvarna XP chainsaws 346xp X3, 357xp, 562xp, 359

Tractor
    None....yet

Well, I went and drove both machines today and they are both great, but the JD feels like a completely different tractor. It just feels heavier, smoother and more stable and has a few more bells and whistles. It includes the MMM and I got him to throw in a new box blade. Still deciding on whether or not to pull the trigger, but it just feels like a better deal, even being used.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1742 TLB

Can I ask where you purchased it. I'm interested in the same setup.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2006 Kubota L3400

I debated the same. Rfm vs mmm vs dedicated rider. Went with dedicated rider for general lawn mowing and a L3400 with brush hog for the pastures. No regrets in fact its worked out much better. The 3400 would have beat my lawn to death..
    cheers,
    bigballer
    2006 L3400hst (380hrs)
    la463 QA fel, backhoe, toothbar,
    brushhog, boxblade, rake, grapple

Tractor
    None....yet

Quote Originally Posted by JUBILEE1953 View Post
    Can I ask where you purchased it. I'm interested in the same setup.
    Haven't bought it, yet, but I'm in mid-Missouri.

Tractor
    None....yet

Quote Originally Posted by bigballer View Post
    I debated the same. Rfm vs mmm vs dedicated rider. Went with dedicated rider for general lawn mowing and a L3400 with brush hog for the pastures. No regrets in fact its worked out much better. The 3400 would have beat my lawn to death..
    I've got a small 42" riding mower now and I've gotten by with it just fine, but it also stopped raining about 2 months ago, so this summer is not a good gauge. I think if I do the deal, I'll mow up around the house with the small mower and then do the large, open spaces with the JD. I wanted to be able to get rid of the rider, but I just don't think it's going to be practical.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

I've got a small 42" riding mower now and I've gotten by with it just fine, but it also stopped raining about 2 months ago, so this summer is not a good gauge. I think if I do the deal, I'll mow up around the house with the small mower and then do the large, open spaces with the JD. I wanted to be able to get rid of the rider, but I just don't think it's going to be practical.
    I agree 100% with your decision of keeping the rider and mowing the field with the tractor. Best of both worlds.
    I used to mow 7 acres with a rear finish mower on 2 different tractors.. the place looked like a park after a while, but I always kept a 42 incher for around the house.. just much easier to get around things. As noted the RFM is easy to get under overhanging trees, by backing up under them.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    None....yet

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    I agree 100% with your decision of keeping the rider and mowing the field with the tractor. Best of both worlds.
    I used to mow 7 acres with a rear finish mower on 2 different tractors.. the place looked like a park after a while, but I always kept a 42 incher for around the house.. just much easier to get around things. As noted the RFM is easy to get under overhanging trees, by backing up under them.

James K0UA
    So, I think you're saying I need a rider (preferably ZT), a tractor with both MMM and RFM, a brush hog, box blade, straight blade, auger, back hoe, loader, pallet forks, plow, disc, harrow and wood splitter, right? I'll pass that along to the boss and let her know it's required.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

So, I think you're saying I need a rider (preferably ZT), a tractor with both MMM and RFM, a brush hog, box blade, straight blade, auger, back hoe, loader, pallet forks, plow, disc, harrow and wood splitter, right? I'll pass that along to the boss and let her know it's required.
    You forgot the grapple and wood chipper

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast