Buying Advice Deciding between L3800 and JD3320

/ Deciding between L3800 and JD3320 #1  

chicklin

Tractor
None....yet
I live on 10 acres and plan to use the tractor for landscaping, road maintenance, snow clearing, digging, spreading, brush-hogging, possibly finish-mowing (more on that later), food plots and just general odd-jobs around the place. I've also got a hunting farm (154 acres) a couple hours away where I may use it occassionaly, as well. I've come across two options at the local dealer that are intriguing:

New
Kubota L3800 HST
LA524FL Loader
Ag tires (because it doesn't come with a finish mower, but R4 is an option), tires filled
$19,200, 0%, 60 months financing available

Used
2005 (I think) JD3320 HST
500 hours
R4 tires
300CX Loader
72" under-belly finish mower
$18,600, financing through local bank at 4.99%

So, here's the dilemma. The JD will cost more per month and overall due to the financing (about $20 difference), but from what I've read is a different class of tractor and includes the under-belly mower. Having the mower helps make up the difference, but I'm not entirely sure I'll use it. I've got maybe 2 acres of lawn, but some of it is fenced and there's a few trees here and there, so I'm concerned about the nimbleness of the 3320. It is flat, though, which is a plus.

The Kubota, however, is brand new and includes Mfgr warranty and I won't pay a dime in interest. But, no mower and for basically the same price is less tractor. Plus, I'll get to take the hit on the re-sale since it's new whereas the JD has already taken the initial bump. The JD package new is $28k.

Thoughts? I'm leaning towards the JD at this point, but I'm sure the Kubota can do everything I want it to do. Either one is most likely overkill, but that's kind of how I do things, anyway.

/ Deciding between L3800 and JD3320
For reference, I've currently got a Ford Jubilee that I've been using for brush-hogging and that's about it. So, anything in this class is going to be worlds better.

Also, is the HP difference between the Kubota (38) and the JD (33) going to be noticeable? Are HP ratings apples to apples or does it vary across mfgrs?

/ Deciding between L3800 and JD3320 #3  
Another option would be an L3200. I recently replaced my B7500 with an L3200 HST / FEL / filled R4's and the 32 (31.9?) HP are plenty for me - 11 more than I had with the B7500. The deal included a 6' Landpride RFM and the package was less than the L3800 you wre quoted on. So far it's been used to mow, move dirt and pull a borrowed 6'(?) disc.It now has a little over 25 hours on it and most were moving dirt to bury a 1,000 gallon LP gas tank. Had the tank people set a below ground tank on a bed of sand on the ground at the base of a bank, then went to relocating material from another part of the property to extend the bank and bury it. It has the right combination of HP, size and nimbleness to keep a smile on my face. After spending over 1,000 hours on the B, the larger platform of the L and suspension seat are so much more comfy for my big old body.

Another option would be an L3200. I recently replaced my B7500 with an L3200 HST / FEL / filled R4's and the 32 (31.9?) HP are plenty for me - 11 more than I had with the B7500. The deal included a 6' Landpride RFM and the package was less than the L3800 you wre quoted on. So far it's been used to mow, move dirt and pull a borrowed 6'(?) disc.It now has a little over 25 hours on it and most were moving dirt to bury a 1,000 gallon LP gas tank. Had the tank people set a below ground tank on a bed of sand on the ground at the base of a bank, then went to relocating material from another part of the property to extend the bank and bury it. It has the right combination of HP, size and nimbleness to keep a smile on my face. After spending over 1,000 hours on the B, the larger platform of the L and suspension seat are so much more comfy for my big old body.

Yep, they've got an L3200 with loader for $17,600. Again, about $20 per month difference.

/ Deciding between L3800 and JD3320 #5  
My father used to say "Son, when you buy something used you're buying someone else's problem". Buy the Kubota.

/ Deciding between L3800 and JD3320 #6  
I just bought a L3200 HST with a loader, Landpride brush cutter and a box blade for $18k. I think you can do better on your price.

/ Deciding between L3800 and JD3320 #7  
The Deere seems a bit pricy.... 16k would my top dollar. I would spec 40hp, cab, loader, and buy attachments as needed. Color would be green due to the dependability / resale value / parts availability and operating features. I would include a New Holland Boomer in this as well but they are in production revision. I know little about the latest model manufacture changes. One should consider resale value because it may come a time you will want to recover most of your investment, sometimes timely. Areas of course differ but where I live deere is at the top of the hill. Just my opinion, good luck with your search.

I just bought a L3200 HST with a loader, Landpride brush cutter and a box blade for $18k. I think you can do better on your price.

You're probably right. The prices I listed were list/asking price. I haven't done any haggling, yet.

/ Deciding between L3800 and JD3320 #9  
I bought a L3800DT last winter. Great tractor, very pleased. It has exceeded my expectations.

Kubota has been dead nuts reliable for me since 1984. :thumbsup:

I bought a L3800DT last winter. Great tractor, very pleased. It has exceeded my expectations.

Kubota has been dead nuts reliable for me since 1984. :thumbsup:

Any concerns about not having an underbelly finish mower option?

Anyone have any comments on rear-finish mower vs. underbelly? For RFM, pull behind or 3-pt mount? Neither is a requirement, but if I can get rid of my riding mower in the process, so much the better.

I'll search the forums, but any pointers would be helpful.