Comparison Skid Loader or Front End Loader?

/ Skid Loader or Front End Loader? #1  

Frugivore

Tractor
1994 Kubota M4030SU
I just finished pricing out a new FEL for my used tractor (Kubota M4030SU), and at close to $6500 I could almost buy a small used skid loader for that kind of money (probably around $10,000). I would be using the loader for moving compost/mulch, manure, brush/small trees, loading a 16ft dump trailer with 4ft sidewalls, and assisting in pond construction (along with an independent backhoe). Any opinions on what is the better value for the money? How does using a tractor FEL compare with using a small skid steer?

/ Skid Loader or Front End Loader? #2  
You are right on for your stated uses a skid steer would do all those tasks better than FEL. Skid steers could be a money pit and it is another piece of machiney to maintain.

/ Skid Loader or Front End Loader? #3  
Tractors are wonderful pieces of equipment and "jacks of all trades" if you will. However they will seldom compete with a dedicated piece of equipment designed for a single task, at least in the task that piece of equipment was designed for. Skidsteers were designed for material transport and do this job exceedingly well and far better than a FEL on a tractor will.

/ Skid Loader or Front End Loader? #4  
I owned a JD 6675 skid steer (42hp), so it was small compared to the market today. I also have a Kubota B2710 tractor with FEL. I wanted a backhoe, so I traded the skid steer last year for a L45 TLB with a little more lift abilty thinking I did not need three pieces of equipment. I tell you I wish I had kept it or traded my tractor instead. I like having a backhoe but miss my skid steer for moving stuff, the L45 may lift more but the SS just did it easier. You can find good deals on wheeled skid steers if you look hard enough. A 1997 with 550hrs just sold for 8500.00 at the local dealer.

/ Skid Loader or Front End Loader? #5  
I would agree with the others, skid steer is hard to beat for loader work. The one area where I prefer the tractor is moving any distance. For me, the SS is harder on my body when moving from point A to B. If that distance is very far I would rather use the tractor.

MarkV

Last edited:
   / Skid Loader or Front End Loader? #6  
. Skid steers could be a money pit and it is another piece of machiney to maintain.
Just curious, why could a skid steer be anymore of a money pit than a standard tractor?
Hydros?

As to which one skid steer or FEL, I believe besides cost (purchase and upkeep) need to consider the primary use;
moving, clearing, raw transport of materials skid steer better suited.

If working in manicured areas like a lawn, garden, pasture etc....a tractor with FEL won't churn,
grind and tear up the surface as much respectively.

/ Skid Loader or Front End Loader? #7  
I upgraded from a small tractor without a FEL to a Deere skid steer (61 hp) and have not looked back. The skid steer is so versatile, it can get into tight spots and has a relatively small foot print. Plus it has a load rating of 2100 lbs and has more power than traction. From my experience having a tractor and skid steer is better than a tractor with just a FEL, you lack the versatility of the skid steer plus there are fewer attachments available for rental when you need to do a project. My vote is on a skid steer, from some experience and from reading reviews I would defiantly look at Deere's 300 series skid steers, less problems than the 200 series and better visibility and power than the xx55 series. I have a 317 and absolutely love it!

/ Skid Loader or Front End Loader? #8  
Come on now....more of a money pit. I have a Cat track loader and in five years I've changed the oil, filters, and battery.
EXACTLY what I spent on my (2) Kubota in the five years I owed it.

Please people stick to the facts when you're helping people.

Personally I would never own a tractor after seeing what the skid steer does. The only thing I can't do is plow a field, and I don't any way.

With the track loader I never get a flat, with a tractor I git flats weekly working with date palm thorns. Lifting capacity was 3-4 times what I had with my tractor. Attachments are unlimited with a skid steer. Changing attachment by pushing a button and never leaving the cab, - I love that. I usually go from one bucket to the next, to the next attachments all day long depending on the job.

I hook up a back hoe, and trencher and this thing is worth it's weight in gold. Fact is the skid steer with a trencher was far better even than straight trenchers with wheels where I work. I work in beach sand so the track loader floats, whereas the trencher with wheels always got buried.

Now lets talk turning on a dime. Nothing better than getting into a tight spot and just spinning around to get out.

/ Skid Loader or Front End Loader? #9  
2 words, skid steer, end of my story.

/ Skid Loader or Front End Loader? #10  
There are 2 kinds of people in the world, Those that like skidsteers and those that prefer a tractor. Spend some time in a skidsteer to make sure you are the first type before you buy it.