Best lawn mower in $2-4,000 range?

/ Best lawn mower in $2-4,000 range? #1  

tractorshopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380
Didn't want to cross up with the other current thread because the price range is different. Have up to 6-7 acres I could mow regularly if I had the right machine. Currently mow about 2 or so each week on my JD L118. Have had it for probably 4 or 5 years and don't really love it, but it keeps running and does the job. On my 3rd deck (mostly my fault for using it at my other property a lot where I usually bush hog now, but it is mowable if the deck was stronger; I keep cracking welds on the flimsy decks).

I'd like to buy a new machine with a sturdier deck than this JD and my previous Craftsman (which I liked better and wish I had kept). I'm open to ZT suggestions also, but I have hills and need to factor that in. In fact, the JD slows down a lot on the hills, feels tippier than the Craftsman did, and is a pain to keep pushing the button to back up all the time and does not run all that great and never really has seemed like it had a lot of power for it being 21 or 22Hp with a twin engine. I'm leery of trying that again and want to get it right with my next machine.

TIA for all the great input I know I'll receive here.

/ Best lawn mower in $2-4,000 range? #2  
I have a stand behind ztr made by Hustler, think I paid around 3600 a few years with the sulky. Not sure what they cost now but it is heavy duty and works very well

/ Best lawn mower in $2-4,000 range? #3  
6-7 acres per week will be all a $13,000 mower would want. To cut your two acres, I like the JD X360, Husqvarna GT2554?, Cub GTX 1054?, simplicity ?, or craftsman yt6000. I used to mow with a 48" walkbehind with sulky 1.5 acres per week, I didn't care for it and I'm not that old. There really is a large variety of machines that would fit your criteria. Which dealers do you have nearby?

/ Best lawn mower in $2-4,000 range? #4  
Well, the L118 is not a "real" Deere if you ask me. Step up to an X series. If you could stretch your budget to get an X500, you'd never look back. The X300 is decent for the money, but still very much a "lawn" tractor.

For $4K, you can get into one of the better Cubs, which are quite nice.

/ Best lawn mower in $2-4,000 range? #5  
Check out the ferris machines. The suspension actually works and they are fast. I cut my 3 acres in 2.5 hours with a toro Titan Z and did it in 95 minutes with the ferris with the same sized deck. I will be buying one this fall when they are left over

/ Best lawn mower in $2-4,000 range? #6  
Says you have an L3800,get the biggest finish mower possible for it.

We mow about 4ac. with GT5000(50in)rider and just picked up rz5424-kohler-9e5f1e4.png(54in) and usually double team it,but I cheat sometimes and use the 8ft or 12ft shreader(leaves really good cut) and tractor.

/ Best lawn mower in $2-4,000 range? #7  

We mow about 4ac. with GT5000(50in)rider and just picked upView attachment 272999(54in) and usually double team it,but I cheat sometimes and use the 8ft or 12ft shreader(leaves really good cut) and tractor.

You can get a good finish mower for your budget.I think a 60" is about as big as you can go without worrying about power. The only mower in your price range is a Craftsman Garden tractor with a 54" deck( about 3 grand). It would only last a few years doing that much work. The ZTR's you are being pointed toward will be in the 6-8 thousand range.

/ Best lawn mower in $2-4,000 range? #8  
You can get a good finish mower for your budget.I think a 60" is about as big as you can go without worrying about power. The only mower in your price range is a Craftsman Garden tractor with a 54" deck( about 3 grand). It would only last a few years doing that much work. The ZTR's you are being pointed toward will be in the 6-8 thousand range.

The ZTR I purchased in photo was $2800 but I havent used it long enough to say very much,nice mower for the money has a small fuel tank or the V-twin goes threw it. My Craftsman gt5000 has been a great mower for years but the ZTR Smokes the rider....

/ Best lawn mower in $2-4,000 range? #9  
Good point foreman etexas about the finish mower. I had an l3700 Bota with a Woods 72" rear finish mower and it had NO problem powering it. Think it was around 2k new.

/ Best lawn mower in $2-4,000 range? #10  
Good point foreman etexas about the finish mower. I had an l3700 Bota with a Woods 72" rear finish mower and it had NO problem powering it. Think it was around 2k new.

Yeah if he kept his JD rider mowed around the house and used the 72"finish mower, he could cover some ground. Can always scoot over some if it gets thick and run 60" but I dont think should have an issue with the HP he has.