Tractor Sizing NAA, 600 or 800 series

/ NAA, 600 or 800 series #1  

dhort

Tractor
Ford
I signed on this forum yesterday and can't seem to find a good comparison of the naa, 600 and 800 series. I have read some Ford history's, but am having a tough time determining what I need for my property. I Believe I need a 600 series, live PTO, 3pt and front loader and power steering. I have found some 800s but they seem too large for my needs. My question: is the 600 series smaller than the 800 series and can you find them with Power steering to handle the loader? I don't intend heavy heavy loads. I plan to use the loader to push over cedar trees at abt. the 8 ft height with the bucket and the tree top trimmed off. Is the 600 to light? Maybe I could a chain and pull them out?? From what I see the 8N is to light?? Great Site. Thanks for all the info here. D

/ NAA, 600 or 800 series #2  
The NAA, 600, and 800 are all of the exact same size platform, the only real difference is the engine size and bore. The NAA was the first one made in the cyclops style from 1953 to 1954 and was replaced and or uprgaded to the 600 and the 800. The 600 has the same engine as the NAA (a 134) with a way bigger better transmission and hydraulic system, the 800 is basiclly the same as the 600 with a bigger bore (172) engine and the difference in power is far greater. Neither one of tractors would have the power steering you are looking for, power steering was not avalable untill I think 1958 when the 601, and the 801 series came out they were called the workmaster (601) series and the power master (801) series there really wasn't that many changes but some gas gauge, power steering (option), larger gas tank, and I think more power mainly from the transmission not real sure about that one.

/ NAA, 600 or 800 series #3  
If you want live PTO, you will need one of the following models. 660,661, 860,or 861. The middle number in the model is what tells you what transmission you have. The '6' indicates live power transmission.

:welcome: To TBN

Tom

/ NAA, 600 or 800 series
I'm looking at an 841 with loader, power steering (leaking). blade, rake, shredder, for about $4.. I guess the Live PTO is ? I don't know that yet. Don't know the year either at this point. I don't plan on doing a lot of shredding(I hope) So maybe the ORC would do just fine if/when needed. From what I have read the 800 is longer and taller than the NAA?? Gitting frustrated at taking it all in and not having a tractor before am not all that certain what i need. You guys are helpin though-Thank you thank you
D

/ NAA, 600 or 800 series #5  
A 841 is a 4 speed non live PTO tractor of about 43 HP. It has the 172 cu.in engine. The PTO is driven by the transmission like in the
8N.

/ NAA, 600 or 800 series
Kioti, So I found out last night. I called the man this PM and as normal he had just sold it. I do want the live PTO. I figure if I'm gonna buy a tractor it ought to be just what I want. I'm not pressed for time and I want to leave it to the kids, so I guess it is best to wait and be picky. Thanks for the info on the 6 being the live PTO. I will watch for it. Oh well-the search goes on. Don

/ NAA, 600 or 800 series #7  
the 800 is basiclly the same as the 600 with a bigger bore (172) engine and the difference in power is far greater. Neither one of tractors would have the power steering you are looking for, power steering was not avalable untill I think 1958 when the 601, and the 801 series came .

sorry.. ps was an option in 1955

8xx had a heavier rear end too.

to the OP.. I'd find an 861 with power steering. or a 4000 4 cyl 5spd. gas or diesel on either..

/ NAA, 600 or 800 series #8  
I'm looking at an 841 with loader, power steering (leaking). blade, rake, shredder, for about $4.. I guess the Live PTO is ? I don't know that yet. Don't know the year either at this point. I don't plan on doing a lot of shredding(I hope) So maybe the ORC would do just fine if/when needed. From what I have read the 800 is longer and taller than the NAA?? Gitting frustrated at taking it all in and not having a tractor before am not all that certain what i need. You guys are helpin though-Thank you thank you
D

unless you get out a slide rule.. the naa and 6XX and 8XX are going to be more or less identical in size.

keep in mind that LD front axle is not well suited for heavy, frequent laoder work.. but for homeowner use, and perhaps with power steering.. it will still beat a wheel barrow by a country mile..

soundguy

/ NAA, 600 or 800 series
I was going to look at a 841 with power steering. I assume it was factory. Don't know what year it was though. BUT, you mention the 4000 and that opens another maybe possibility for me. I know less about the 4000 the the others. Do they have power steering, live PTO, and good parts availability? I was told locally (Tractor Supply) that the 1000 series tractors were hard to get parts for. Specifically they mentioned the 2000 and 3000 series. How about the 4000?
I did see that TS had a bunch of parts for the 8n. I do want a front end loader. Don

/ NAA, 600 or 800 series #10  
the 000 series have JUST as good parts support as the 00 series. There are (2) 4000 series as well. the pre 65 are just like an 801 model.

ps on a post 65 is common. ps on a pre 65 is about the same as on the 00/01 series.

live pto on pre 65 4000 will require a 5spd tranny. live pto on a 65+ is common.. though it is independent pto.

the goon at tractor supply is 1 level above booger picker.. please don't rely upon him for tractor info.. :(