Bewildered!

/ Bewildered! #1  

Feedman56

Tractor
BCS 730GX11
Like others before me, I am a newbie, living in NY10567 and faced with a vast array of tractor models, facing the difficulties of choosing one of the best value sub-compacts suitable for a 2 acre plot.

Currently all laid to rough grass, I'd like to de-thatch, aerate as well as mow and to do so in one pass, which I think means attachments front & rear. I also wish to cultivate some of the area for vegetable production and will need a post-holer/auger, together with a hitch & trailer. Finally a snow-blower or similar might be a prudent choice too.

In essence then, I am seeking a multi-role vehicle and whilst there is a plethora of 'reviews' out there, I cannot find a universal comparison site on which I can tick my requirements to reveal suitable candidates.

Can anyone suggest either 1) suitable reliable models (I'm not particularly mechanically-minded!); 2) refer me to sites to which I allude?

/ Bewildered! #2  
I'd suggest Kubota BX and Mahindra Maxx lines of SCUTs, but I'm no expert on SCUTs.

I'm no expert at any tractors yet!

Welcome to TBN from Virginia!
Be well,
David

/ Bewildered! #6  
Oh, OK. I'm sorry not to have placed it properly in the first place!

Don't worry about it. Briana reads them and if she knows a better place for you to get help, she will transfer your post there. Does it all the time.

AND :welcome: To TBN

Tom

/ Bewildered! #7  
What dealers do you have nearby?

The Kubota BX line is time tested and reliable. The JD 1 series is new, but it has a lot of premium features.

/ Bewildered! #8  
Kioti,John deere,kubota,new holland all have nice sub compact tractors.Visit a few dealers in your area.coobie

Last edited:
   / Bewildered! #9  
Feedman56 said:
Like others before me, I am a newbie, living in NY10567 and faced with a vast array of tractor models, facing the difficulties of choosing one of the best value sub-compacts suitable for a 2 acre plot.

Currently all laid to rough grass, I'd like to de-thatch, aerate as well as mow and to do so in one pass, which I think means attachments front & rear. I also wish to cultivate some of the area for vegetable production and will need a post-holer/auger, together with a hitch & trailer. Finally a snow-blower or similar might be a prudent choice too.

In essence then, I am seeking a multi-role vehicle and whilst there is a plethora of 'reviews' out there, I cannot find a universal comparison site on which I can tick my requirements to reveal suitable candidates.

Can anyone suggest either 1) suitable reliable models (I'm not particularly mechanically-minded!); 2) refer me to sites to which I allude?

I picked mahindra, because I wanted maximum lift capability (front and rear) for the small sized tractors. However, you did not mention that as a need. So, I'm not sure any brand is better at mowing or tilling than any other. The mahindra max has great turning radius... But, I bet they all do, anyway.

You did mention post hole digging. While you may want to buy a Kubota (a great brand), the bx series has been mentioned cautiously with cat1 post hole digging. Plenty of BXers here could comment intelligently on any issue there.

For what u mentioned, it may just be finding the best priced machine...and best dealer experience. I'm not sure u could make a bad choice for your needs.

If the BXers don't see any trouble with post hole digging attachments... I think I'd look real hard at a BX. It wouldn't necessarily be the cheapest... But, I don't think it would ever leave u hanging either... And attachments seem almost like an artform for that model/series.

Bobcat could keep u busy with attachments, as well.

If u haven't, yet, go to YouTube and search for Kubota bx or mahindra max (bx would be smaller than max series... Try Kubota B series if you are interested in comparing to mahindra max series) and search for any other brand/model.... The videos are very helpful in figuring this out. They were for me, anyway.

Last edited:
   / Bewildered! #10  
For gardening (tilling) and post hole digging I would point you to a tractor that has a foot or more ground clearance. A short ground clearance could get you stuck on uneven or tilled ground. The PHD would work better on a taller tractor. I have an 800 lb aerator which I would not dream of pulling at the same time I am mowing. Too much going on at the same time, especially if you have trees. I would point you to a Kubota B29XX series. Plenty of power and not too big. I wish Kubota had an easier system of attaching the mid mount mower. Go 60 inches there if you can get that width between trees and buildings. A 3 point tow behind finish mower is an option. I have used both and prefer the MMM. I have a B7510 gear drive and a B3200 hydro. Love the hydro for mowing and front end loader work. I don't have any snow along the Gulf Coast, so I can't speak to your needs there. The B29 models come standard with mid PTO drives which may be needed to drive front mounted equipment.

Good Luck in your search for that perfect machine.