Buying Advice Passed on buying Massey Harris Pony due to no serial number..mistake or not?

/ Passed on buying Massey Harris Pony due to no serial number..mistake or not? #11  
great, we love pics.

MHP's are a lil hard to find. IMHO.. more valuable than cubs...

/ Passed on buying Massey Harris Pony due to no serial number..mistake or not? #12  
I'm not saying you have anything to worry about but Yahoo just had a news story about an Austin owner who's car was stolen something like 40 years ago. Turns out that the Philly police didn't enter the VIN number right. He found it for sale in California and called the police. He's now got his Austin back and the latest owner is out what he paid for the car. Without a VIN number it will require someone trying to say that it belongs to them to identify it some other way.

/ Passed on buying Massey Harris Pony due to no serial number..mistake or not? #13  
antique tractor's don't have vin numbers. and it's VERY common to see antiques with no legible sn.. or with an eroded one.. or simply NSN due to a missing tag, or a swapped part, new block.. casting..e tc.

it's one of the least things I worry about when i buy an old tractor.. :)

/ Passed on buying Massey Harris Pony due to no serial number..mistake or not?
Pics as promised.
Just need to change a few things to get it the way I would like it (change turfs to ags,put decals in correct place on front,etc.) Tractor 003.jpgTractor 013.jpgTractor 005.jpg
Also not sure I will keep the rear step that the previous owner built to get on and off the tractor. He is 77 years old and it made it much easier for him to get on and off the tractor. I would like to locate a drawbar for it.
Lastly,it is a PGSXXXX whitch means it has a solid front axle which is more rare than the adjustable axles with the PGAXXXX numbers.

/ Passed on buying Massey Harris Pony due to no serial number..mistake or not? #15  
That looks great. On most old tractors the engine casting numbers is also the same as the serial number. You can make or purchase a new tag and stamp the numbers in just to give it that look and finish off the restoration that has been done on it. Have fun with the new old tractor.

/ Passed on buying Massey Harris Pony due to no serial number..mistake or not? #16  
Those old tractors really make me smile. They're just one big drivetrain, with wheels stuck on the side, and a seat bolted to the top.

/ Passed on buying Massey Harris Pony due to no serial number..mistake or not? #17  
That is one sweet tractor. And someone has a workshop to die for.

/ Passed on buying Massey Harris Pony due to no serial number..mistake or not? #18  
Pics as promised.
Just need to change a few things to get it the way I would like it (change turfs to ags,put decals in correct place on front,etc.)View attachment 274127View attachment 274128View attachment 274129Lastly,it is a PGSXXXX whitch means it has a solid front axle which is more rare than the adjustable axles with the PGAXXXX numbers.

Also not sure I will keep the rear step that the previous owner built to get on and off the tractor. He is 77 years old and it made it much easier for him to get on and off the tractor. I would like to locate a drawbar for it.

Hey, that's a real nice looking Pony. You did good:thumbsup:

/ Passed on buying Massey Harris Pony due to no serial number..mistake or not? #19  
Those old tractors really make me smile. They're just one big drivetrain, with wheels stuck on the side, and a seat bolted to the top.

she looks great. I wouldn't have hesitated a second on her.. you are lucky she was still there.

/ Passed on buying Massey Harris Pony due to no serial number..mistake or not? #20  
Very, very nice.