Buying Advice Passed on buying Massey Harris Pony due to no serial number..mistake or not?

/ Passed on buying Massey Harris Pony due to no serial number..mistake or not? #1  

papabear

Bronze Member
Well,went to take a second look and pay for my new toy,Massey Harris Pony.
The tag on the frame near the right front wheel was painted over hiding what I thought would be the serial numbers for the tractor. Owner asked if I would like the paint lightly sanded off to reveal the numbers and I ofcourse said yes. After the light sanding to the bare metal there were VERY faint remains of either letters or numbers but whatever they were they were unreadable.
Looks like at some point they may have been ground or filed down in my opinion.
Did I do the right thing on passing on this machine due solely to there being no serial number or should I have bought it anyways as it is a 60 plus year old tractor and it is what it is?
I am absolutly sick over this as I want a MH Pony super bad and I found this one less than an hour from home. :(:(:(
If anyone knows of one for sale(preferably restored or needing VERY LITTLE work please PM me. Thank you.

/ Passed on buying Massey Harris Pony due to no serial number..mistake or not? #2  
Yes, go back and buy it, ASAP. The metal has probably just disintigrated over the years, or the metal got worn down from other people just sanding the paint off to look at the number during the many sales transactions it has had over the years.
I cann,t image it ever being a problem if you don,t have to register it or get an ownership for it. Go get it, before it,s gone and then you,ll really be mad at yourself for missing out on it. I know I,ve kicked myself for thinking to much, and missing out on stuff that I have wanted.

/ Passed on buying Massey Harris Pony due to no serial number..mistake or not? #3  
How long has the seller had it? If he owned it for years there should be no worries. Does he have a bill of sale from when he bought it?
You could check with local Police to see if any are reported stolen.

/ Passed on buying Massey Harris Pony due to no serial number..mistake or not? #4  
   / Passed on buying Massey Harris Pony due to no serial number..mistake or not? #5  
My MF135 is missing its serial number tag and I bought it from a dealer. I wouldn't sweat it on something so old that didn't have to be registered.

/ Passed on buying Massey Harris Pony due to no serial number..mistake or not? #6  
I buy old tractors occasionally (6 of them so far). In addition to serial number info, I take info on engine casting numbers by year (if that data is available). It helps sometimes to get you in the ballpark yearwise for this old iron.

Don't understand what your problem was with that Pony. It was the tractor you wanted, apparently in OK condition and price was reasonable. I would have bought it and then researched to get the year.

Too bad. Good luck next time.

/ Passed on buying Massey Harris Pony due to no serial number..mistake or not? #7  
This was a tractor which was at least 55 years old, right? I think you thought about this way too much. Do you really expect all old machinery to have all the factory tags?

/ Passed on buying Massey Harris Pony due to no serial number..mistake or not? #8  
i've seen hundreds of old tractors.

obliterated or eroded sn's are usually not mystery.

If it doesn't look like a chop shop with midnight hourts and smell hot / burn my hand.. I buy em. sn or not.

soundguy

/ Passed on buying Massey Harris Pony due to no serial number..mistake or not? #9  
I would have bought it. Serial number means little on these older machines. Just get a bill of sale...

/ Passed on buying Massey Harris Pony due to no serial number..mistake or not?
Thank you for everyones comments in this thread.
After thinking it over and reading your comments I went back and purchased this tractor today. :)
I will have a few pics of it up tomorrow.
Thanks for everyones help.