Hydro trans operation?

/ Hydro trans operation? #1  

gkk2001

Tractor
JD 4100
Can anyone give a general description of the inner workings of a hydro HST transmission? I understand the HST is not terribly complicated inside like a car auto trans and their reliability should be quite long if cared for and not abused obviously. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Any comments please.

/ Hydro trans operation? #2  
Greg, welcome to TBN. I can appreciate your interest in the question, but, it's a big question. Maybe someone will have time to type out a detailed answer, I don't know. This question has been covered many times before and maybe someone can give you a link to an old thread that has the answer. I am not qualified to provide an answer, but it's out there. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Hydro trans operation? #3  
gkk2001
Here is a link to a TBN thread on HST. It should answer your questions.
Click Here
I have had a HST tractor since the mid 80's with no problems. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Hydro trans operation? #4  
Now that I have had a tractor with hydro transmission for 3 years,I would never buy a tractor without one...I love my hydro and I love my 4 in 1 bucket,I would never have a bucket without the 4 in 1 option.

/ Hydro trans operation? #5  
There is a good write up on tractor transmission types on www.tractorsmart.com. Click on "technical info", then there is a link to tractor transmission types. It discusses how they each work and what the pros and cons of each type are. Good luck.

/ Hydro trans operation?
Thanks so much for the replys. I read most all of the links and certinly understand better but I think it might require a couple hours to study everything and understand fully.
I was contempalting a trade in on a JD 790 gear tractor while I have used an HST for several yers now. I think it would be a shock to make that switch right now. I was also thinking about the age old question of HST reliability. I am fealing better that the HST should last a good long time...maybe just as long as a gear trans for my small needs.
Thanks again, Greg