Tractor Sizing Massey 1532 vs. Jd 3038 vs kubota L3800

/ Massey 1532 vs. Jd 3038 vs kubota L3800 #1  

venom9

Tractor
John Deere 4010
Hi guys

I'm looking for a small tractor to replace my 4010 as the acreage tractor. The 4010 is a bit heavy on the lawn. I do still want a tractor not a glorified lawn mower. Loader work will be a priority as well as some cultivating and re- seeding pasture. I only have 14 acres of pasture to take care of.

From what I see so far the JD3038, MF1532, and Kobota L3800 are in the same ballpark. I have considered slightly larger machines (JD3520, MF1533, MF1540,MF1635) ,but I'm concerned that the weight is getting up there on these.

Any body have some experience with these tractors? Please share your opinions. I have a JD dealer, and Kubota close. Massey is about 140miles away which in my area is not too far but not easy JD and Kubota.

Thanks

/ Massey 1532 vs. Jd 3038 vs kubota L3800 #2  
I'm 7 months and 50+ hours into a L3800DT w/loader and absolutely love it!

I've had Kubota tractors since 1984 and no complaints. When I decide to get a new one, I looked at Deere, Massey, Kubota, Kioti, New Holland and Mahindra.

The Kubota L3800 won out for what I needed/wanted/price, but the comparable Mahindra was a close second. 400 acres here, but no 'big' tractor jobs, just lots of small jobs. Logging, mowing, firewood, 1 mile drive to keep smooth, several miles of logging roads to keep clear and a little loader work.

/ Massey 1532 vs. Jd 3038 vs kubota L3800
Thanks Bluegill2. I traded my JD mower for a 2380 Kubota with 48" deck and snow blower a couple years ago and have been very happy with it. Kubota is for sure a contender. However the tractor will be a major purchase so it doesn't seem right to not look at other options.

/ Massey 1532 vs. Jd 3038 vs kubota L3800 #4  
Thanks Bluegill2. I traded my JD mower for a 2380 Kubota with 48" deck and snow blower a couple years ago and have been very happy with it. Kubota is for sure a contender. However the tractor will be a major purchase so it doesn't seem right to not look at other options.

Definitely look at all options! :thumbsup:

/ Massey 1532 vs. Jd 3038 vs kubota L3800 #5  
The Deere 3520 is quite a bit different from the 3038E. The 3520 does have more features, a smoother transmission with 3 ranges, foldable ROPS, more supportive seat with suspension, more leg room, split brakes for left/right, easily detachable FEL, a differential lock pedal that is not integrated into the brake pedal (whenever you depress the brake it locks the hubs and you cannot turn until it pops back out), even a fuel gauge that is built into the instrument panel, not one on the hood that gets covered in dust. I personally favor the 3x20's over the 3E tractors, not just in features but overall performance is much better. I have no experience on the Massey, my experience on a Kubota L2800 was really good, well built tractor, less features than the Deere but still a nice tractor for the $$$$. I would defiantly try out each tractor, really look at the 3520, its a very nice tractor. Just my :2cents:

/ Massey 1532 vs. Jd 3038 vs kubota L3800 #6  
Any tractor with a MMM is just a lawn tractor, Try Kioti you won't be sorry.

/ Massey 1532 vs. Jd 3038 vs kubota L3800 #7  
I have the Kubota L3540, and I was also worried about the weight as I need to travel with it across the lawn. Right now the tractor weighs in at about 6000lbs. 3400lbs for the tractor, ~1200lbs for the loaded rear tires, 1200lbs for loader and bucket, then me and fluids. So, it doesn't take much to add up quickly. It also has the industrial R4 tires on it. Even with the more aggressive tires and weight, it doesn't leave any noticeable marks in the lawn. Even during the spring, although I do try to drive across the high spots and avoid the low ones, the marks it leaves behind are pretty slight. Maybe at most 1/4", so I just drive a long the same spot against the tree line during the spring. The repeated driving along that area hasn't left behind any tire tracks either. Turning tight is a bit different obviously, but just heading across has worked out just fine. Hope this helps.

/ Massey 1532 vs. Jd 3038 vs kubota L3800 #9  
I'm 7 months and 50+ hours into a L3800DT w/loader and absolutely love it!

I've had Kubota tractors since 1984 and no complaints. When I decide to get a new one, I looked at Deere, Massey, Kubota, Kioti, New Holland and Mahindra.

The Kubota L3800 won out for what I needed/wanted/price, but the comparable Mahindra was a close second. 400 acres here, but no 'big' tractor jobs, just lots of small jobs. Logging, mowing, firewood, 1 mile drive to keep smooth, several miles of logging roads to keep clear and a little loader work.

I have heard alot of good things about Kubota. However from the website it doesnt look like the l3800DT has the option for an enclosed cab. that would be a must for the snow. the other thing was the options seemed that i was paying more money but less power on the K verse a MF. ??

/ Massey 1532 vs. Jd 3038 vs kubota L3800
I have heard alot of good things about Kubota. However from the website it doesnt look like the l3800DT has the option for an enclosed cab. that would be a must for the snow. the other thing was the options seemed that i was paying more money but less power on the K verse a MF. ??

It seems like the MF's move up to larger chassis at lower hp. Just looking at the weights of them. 1532=2600lb, 1533=3000lb , 1544=3000 plus lbs, 1635= 3175lb, 1643=3700lbs. JD and Kubota seem to offer higher HP. in a lighter chassis. JD 3038=2175lbs, Kubota L3800=2600lbs. This has led me to compare machines that weigh in between 2175lb and 2900lbs with the L3800 and 1532 being right in the middle. For the type of work I plan to do (mostly loader work) i don't think having more power without the weight is necessary. Is my thinking logical? (that's a scary question)