Comparison Deutz vs Mahindra

/ Deutz vs Mahindra #1  

Morelia

Tractor
Nil
Gday,

I'm from Australia and looking to purchase my first ever tractor. It will be used on 300+ acres with some hilly country out the back. Main uses will be for mulching pasture, spreading seed and fertilizer, digging post holes and moving bails.

The two tractors I have been looking at are

1. Mahindra 8000 - 80hp 4WD http://www.mahindra.com.au/ag/Australia-en/Products-Tractors-8000-4WD-SERIES-80-HP
2. Deutz Fahr Agrolux 85 - 85hp 4WD Agrolux 85hp | Deutz Tractors | German Engineering | Brought to you by PFG Australia

Both are classed as more bargain priced with the Mahindra at $44k and the Deutz at $54k. The mahindra dealer is 20km away in town whereas deutz dealer is about 100km away.
The Deutz is a bit higher class of tractor with larger capacities and functions like dual speed pto and 4 wheel independent braking.
Alot of hobby farmers around here are getting the mahindra while some of the dairy farmers are starting to buy the higher model deutzs.

Advantage for deutz is it looks like a bit more serious tractor and if we ever expand it will do the job a bit more effectively. The advantage of the mahindra is the cheaper price tag ($10k buys alot of implements).

Neither tractors have been in Oz for long so trying to get some reliability answers is making it hard to ask locals around here.

Has anyone had experience with either of these two brands and can give me some opinions on the two?

cheers

J

/ Deutz vs Mahindra #2  
While I have no experience with either model, I have to say the extra $$ for German engineering and manufacturing quality will pay off in the long haul. I'm sure this will set off a huge storm of controversy, mainly from Mahindra owners.

/ Deutz vs Mahindra #3  
I couldn't get the Mahindra site to work once I got on that site, so I can't see the specs. I do have a Agrofarm 100 by Deutz Fahr. Other than a bit more HP and cab my tractor is very close to the specs on the Agrolux. I've been well pleased with mine. Just got back to the house from using the root grapple cleaning around a pond that had grown up. Just put a Stoll loader on this tractor and had the rear tires filled today. The extra 1,600 pounds of ballast sure helped. I use a 80 in. grapple and move logs also. The tractor is stable now with the loader maxed out.

I have no idea what the fuel usage would be on the Mahindra but I can say I'm very pleased with mine when compared to a older 6 cylinder diesel of about the same HP. I've used some older tractors that would use 4 gallons a hr. on medium loads and the Agrofarm 100 uses about 3 GPH fully loaded. Fuel usage was one of the selling points I looked at when buying the Deutz.

/ Deutz vs Mahindra #4  
I cannot attest about the quality of the modern Deutz tractors, but we have on our farm in Germany two Deutz 06 tractors from the 70s. One 60 hp and one 120 hp tractor. Both always are very reliable, and I wish I had one well kept 06 here in the States for my 17 acres. Assuming the modern Deutz tractors are similar durable, 10K more is money well spend on something that will last.

/ Deutz vs Mahindra #6  
I mowed a widows property for 3 years before she passed. I used her equipment which was a 70 horse Deutz with a 15 foot bat wing mower. I have always owned tractors in the 40hp range so using this Deutz was a ball I mean it was a beast. No mater how high she would let the grass grow it would eat it up. Although it had a a mess of hours on it, it never missed a beat.

Were I not a massey fan, I would buy a Deutz in a heart beat.

/ Deutz vs Mahindra #7  
It is not hard to admire Deutz but in defense of the Mahindra option, that brand has been excellent as well. If they are both strong and reliable then $10,000 extra implements on the Mahindra will make that a much more effective set up. You describe mostly general tasks where the correct implement is at least as important as the base tractor in getting the job done efficiently. Extra, bigger or better implements will make more difference than paint color.

/ Deutz vs Mahindra #8  

Thanks. Transmission Deutz 20-20 Mahindra 12-12, the Deutz has creeper gears I use for running a rotary tiller and also great for backing up to equipment to connect. Deutz front and rear diff. lock Mahindra I didn't see that in the specs. With front and rear diff. lock that's true 4 wheel drive. If you ever get stuck that's a big advantage. Also if you're in a situation that you need to go straight like for row crop you can lock front and rear in and take your hands off the steering wheel and the tractor will go straight. Just don't try and turn when locked in.

If you have to be on the highway Deutz says 40kmh which is about 25 mph. I've owned 2 and they both would run 30mph. You already posted about the all wheel braking. With hills and using a loader and towing heavy loads that's one of the best safety features Deutz has. I've pulled a spreader with total weight being 14,000 pounds on hills. The 4 wheel braking has always worked great and have never locked a tire and had the tractor to slide. Deutz also has a far greater lift cap. I know the Deutz cost more but you also get more. The German engine is top of the line and as I mentioned before these engines are great on fuel for the power they deliver.

I've never operated a Mahindra. None in my area that I know of. Had two different dealerships open here but as far as I know they never sold any. They were only open for a month or so. I sure won't knock Mahindra as I'm sure it's a decent tractor. Deutz cost more but you also get more.

/ Deutz vs Mahindra #9  
I don't have personal experience with either brand of tractor. However, I grew up on a dairy farm just outside a small country town in Victoria, Australia. In our district there were a lot of Deutz tractors, the only tractor dealer in the nearby town sold them. Several people I know had a number of Deutz tractors over the years so they must have thought they were OK. They could have bought any of the major tractor brands instead without having to travel too far.

Back then (80's) a lot of the Deutz tractors had air cooled engines which did overheat from time to time in summer.

My dad had a Deutz Fahr drum mower for cutting hay and it ran for donkey's years.

/ Deutz vs Mahindra #10  
Hiya

I just did a lot of research this year to work out what tractor to get. Deutz would have been on my list if they had a cabin one in the 60-70 HP bracket. I really liked the specs on the brakes, transmission and engine. The German tractors are simply just further along the modern line of development. They also have had their quality control in place for a long time. I have looked at Mahindra and there are just little things (paintwork & general finish) that show if you look close. I ended up getting a Kioti 60 HP cab tractor for my 100 acres. I would have liked a Deutz :)

Mike
Central West, NSW