Do they still make RELIABLE garden tractors?

/ Do they still make RELIABLE garden tractors? #21  
I have three riding mowers, an old Heritage 4 wheel steering (pre-zero turn by at least a decade), a 1980s Craftsman with a 14.5 B&S motor, and a couple year old MTD hydro (I doubt it's a real Hydrostatic tranny though). The Heritage is a much beefier machine, thick steel, electric pto, etc. But the Sears of 30 years ago is no better than the MTD of today. If anything I think the MTD is a little better. On the Sears the aluminum spindle holders on the mower deck were always breaking. It's so bad that if you do a search on e-bay you'll see tons of new ones for sale. The MTD has a Kohler 19 hp motor, not sure if it's better but it's always started. About 15 years ago I had to buy a whole new mower deck for it because the old one rusted out.

Now I have to say that the Sears and the MTD were both $1000 riders. I don't expect a lot for that kind of money. An engine, 4 wheels and tires, a seat, a few gears, and a mower deck. I expect the frame will be stamped steel and everything will be belt driven. But I see no reason why the MTD will not last as long as the Sears has (I'm looking to give it away to a good home). I do agree with you about HP. When I was a kid there were two kinds or riding mowers, 8hp cheap ones and 12 hp expensive ones. Push mowers (except for Lawn Boy) came in 3hp and the deluxe 3 1/2 hp. I have no need for 19 hp, just burns off gas. I guess if I was a kid again I wouldn't of had to slow down as much in the tall grass because I waited a little too long to mow.

/ Do they still make RELIABLE garden tractors?
How about a jumper cable from the positive post on the battery to the positive post on the starter?

Aaron Z

Aaron, if that started it up, what would that indicate? What if it didn't?

/ Do they still make RELIABLE garden tractors? #23  
I sell them. I would not put them on "the list". You'd also never get me to touch a new Deere. I'd grab a old Deere 420/425 if your into them. Kubota G2160/G2460 are very similar and newer vintage. They are great tractors. Simplicity is very good. You all know my passion for Kubota, but the T's are not a great value for what they are, and while the GR's are outperforming what we'd expect its not a 30 year tractor. A BX1860 w/o valve can almost hit garden tractor pricing and will last forever.

Bottom line, quality costs more than it did 30-years ago. It you really want a tractor that will last like that you almost need to buy a subcompact, or one of the very few heavy built garden tractors.
Now thats funny,why would you not touch a new john deere?Let me guess you sell kubota,simplicity and new holland?LOL,coobie

I was going to post a reply, but I see coobie already took care of it. I'll bet any x5 / x7 series Deere properly taken care of will last 30+. They are very well built, very high quality top of the line lawn and garden tractor.

/ Do they still make RELIABLE garden tractors? #24  
Not so much if it started, but if it turns over it means your starter is good and the engine is not seized, but the solenoid may be defective, or the wiring to the solenoid from the ignition switch may be bad or wiring from the battery to the switch is bad.

If you can get it to turn over by jumping it like Aaron says, try to start it by having key on, gas in tank, choke if necessary, and see if it starts when you jump it. My bet is you have a simple electrical problem, either a fuse, loose/corroded connection, bad key switch, etc, not a good reason to junk the tractor.

Last edited:
   / Do they still make RELIABLE garden tractors? #25  
I sell them. I would not put them on "the list". You'd also never get me to touch a new Deere. I'd grab a old Deere 420/425 if your into them. Kubota G2160/G2460 are very similar and newer vintage. They are great tractors. Simplicity is very good. You all know my passion for Kubota, but the T's are not a great value for what they are, and while the GR's are outperforming what we'd expect its not a 30 year tractor. A BX1860 w/o valve can almost hit garden tractor pricing and will last forever.

Bottom line, quality costs more than it did 30-years ago. It you really want a tractor that will last like that you almost need to buy a subcompact, or one of the very few heavy built garden tractors.
I just have to ask another question,quote by you( a BX18620 w/o valve can almost hit garden tractor pricing AND WILL LAST FOREVER) WOW!!! Is there really a lawn tractor or full size tractor THAT REALLY LASTS FOREVER?If so I will JUST TAKE one unit since it will last that long.LOL,coobie

/ Do they still make RELIABLE garden tractors? #26  
Not so much if it started, but if it turns over it means your starter is good and the engine is not seized, but the solenoid may be defective, or the wiring to the solenoid from the ignition switch may be bad or wiring from the battery to the switch is bad.

If you can get it to turn over by jumping it like Aaron says, try to start it by having key on, gas in tank, choke if necessary, and see if it starts when you jump it. My bet is you have a simple electrical problem, either a fuse, loose/corroded connection, bad key switch, etc, not a good reason to junk the tractor.

Downslope explained it pretty well. If it cranks when you jump to the starter, the problem is the wiring between the battery, the key and the starter.
If it will crank with a jumper but doesn't try to start, I would try a shot of ether in the intake.

Keep us posted.

Aaron Z

/ Do they still make RELIABLE garden tractors? #28  
   / Do they still make RELIABLE garden tractors? #29  
   / Do they still make RELIABLE garden tractors? #30  
X500 ox X700 series Deere.
I replaced my old (25 yr?) Craftsman with a X540. You really have to step up to that level to get the same quality as the old Cast Iron trans, IC engined, ground engaging garden tractors of yesteryear.

Ive sence upgraded again to a BX25, but only because I needed the bucket and backhoe. The 540 is a vastly superior mower compared to either the Bx or the old Cman.