What tractor do I buy???

/ What tractor do I buy??? #1  

Smitrock5

Tractor
Cub Cadet 129
Hi I'm looking to purchase my first tractor. I have 12.5 acres and the majority of it is not flat ground so I think I want something smaller, defiantly something well balanced! I'm in the air on the brand, I want reliability first. I don't want to have to fix it or tune it after every project. The things I know I want are the mower, back hoe and bucket, and most importantly an affordable price tag. I'm on the fence about buying new or used also, I know I can get a little more tractor by buying used but I'm also leery of spending so much money on something that may have been beat to H and back. Being that it's my first tractor I'm not real familiar with what I would be looking for on a used machine. I will be using it for landscape jobs around the house, mowing, snow removal, small excavation, path making and leveling, stump removal, and I'm sure some other things but mostly those. I want to be able to do any project I want to on my land. I'm not worried as much about being able to get the job done in 2 hrs. More concerned with getting something reasonable for myself and what I can afford. Nothing over 20g new and nothing over 10g used. Any thoughts and advice will be greatly appreciated. I would love to hear from owners of sub compacts that use the hoe and bucket a lot and how they hold up and the power or lack of power. Thanks everyone!!

/ What tractor do I buy???
Anyone know my options as far as which sub compacts even offer the same make of BH and bucket? I don't want to buy one and buy an adaptable piece for it. Would rather just buy all the same brand.

/ What tractor do I buy??? #3  
I would start by visiting tractor dealers in your area and not worry about the brand, the top tractor brands are all reliable. Look for a dealer that wants to work with you and can help guide you to a tractor that will address your needs both short term and for the long haul.

A new tractor is most likely the path you will take simply because there are few tractors on the used market, no warranty, and no financing on used.

Start by reading about Kubota's BX25. There are good you tube videos on this little work horse.

/ What tractor do I buy??? #4  
What Monster said, plus a couple thoughts. Land size has a lot less to do with tractor size than your anticipated (OK, and unanticipated) uses do. For example - you mentioned a number of different uses you'll want to quantify. "Mowing" could be 1/2 acre around the house or it could be 7 acres. It could also be the same 1/2 acre around the house and another 4 or 5 acres you will bush hog 6 times a year.

"Not flat" comes in different degrees and some tractors will be more stable than others. Smaller doesn't automatically make a tractor more stable. There's one small sidehill section I mow that always needed 4WD with the B7500 to prevent it from crabbing for a distance. The 5' RFM wanted to slide downhill. With the L3200 and a heavier 6' RFM it's easy in 2WD and it feels almost as stable as flat ground.

Everyone needs / wants different attachments. I wouldn't consider any tractor without a FEL but have no desire at all for a backhoe. Others can't live without them. I haven't needed a backhoe here in over 20 years*. All the tree stumps and rocks were removed before we moved in back then. If I need something more than can be handled by the Ditch Witch from the rental place, I'll hire a hoe & operator.

Best I can tell you is take time to determine your needs - then go with another 5 horses. Last time I was shopping the list of potentials included Kubota, Mahindra, Kioti and Bobcat.

* There was ONE time Wifey wanted several rosebushes planted on a hot Saturday and I'd have been REAL happy for a small hoe[grin]

/ What tractor do I buy??? #5  
We run tractors from 23 to 85 HP for a variety of tasks and can't improve on the advice of Monster5601 and chim. I have bought new and used depending on what was available. Good used machines don't stay for sale long, mine was there about a week before it was sold.

"Needs/wants" vary from one to the other and after owning a backhoe for quite a few years, we now just rent when needed, others use them a lot and can justify the added cost.

Good luck.

/ What tractor do I buy??? #6  
I am about to pick up my third tractor in the last 10 years. I have decided to again buy from the same dealer. It all comes down to service. My dealer and sales person will do just about anything I ask not only to make the sale but afterwards to help out a customer. and that is why all three tractors are blue. They could be orange or green but neither of those vendors seem to be willing to step it up.

Yesterday at the dealer while looking at the tractor the dealer was more than happy to let me pull the loader off, hook up a 3 point mower on it. Its the only way to get a feel for those things on a particular model imho. Last week, he helped me troubleshoot a repair on my 8 year old tractor over the phone. If that didn't work they would have sent out the service truck to take a look at it. For me that was the biggie for my first purchase at this dealer. I don't have to haul it in every time something goes wrong.

Thats my main advice. Find a dealer that wants to make money by having you be happy to come back.

Most of your tasks are easy to hit in your price range. I get new. I like to know the mechanical history of the machine and learn about it as I work on it, because I suck at those things. But, removing stumps that part of your list could get a bit tricky in your budget.

My current tractor purchase is 75% tractor, 25% implements. Keep that in mind implements can add up, but they are important.

Good Luck.

/ What tractor do I buy??? #7  
For a new tractor owner, the dealer is the most important issue. You want a dealer who will steer you to the most appropriate - not the most expensive - tractor. Most major brands are pretty good, but they are different in design and feel. Your price limits will limit you to a compact tractor, and you don't need more size anyway for your acreage. I went through the process early this year with visits to four dealers. One had no kind of financing so that a cheaper tractor would actually cost me more. One was limited on repair facilities - and had an uninterested sales staff. I was left with John Deere and Kubota. Both were good machines, so I test drove them both for at least a half hour. For me the Kubota was an awkward fit with controls that didn't suit me, and a rocker directional pedal that was uncomfortable, and impossible for my wife (she of knee and hip replacements) to use. Since I happen to like John Deere equipment and have always had truly excellent JD service, it was an easy pick.

I agree that you want a loader, their uses are legion. The rotary cutter/mower certainly. I don't see a back hoe unless you have clear and abundant needs for it. It's a great tool, but expensive and will involve a lot of time mounting and unmounting. Honestly, I can rent one for the rare tasks I have that require it and never end up paying what it would cost me to buy. I suggest you go with the mower and FEL and give it some time. You may find the backhoe is unnecessary.

So what do u guys think of the difference between the NH, Kubota, or Massey ferg? As far a reliability? Any have more probs than the other?...it looks like the final decision will be made by which dealer wants to have me as a customer the most...everyone think that's a good decision right?

I appreciate everyone's help!! Want to make the right decision the first time!!

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ What tractor do I buy??? #10  
So what do u guys think of the difference between the NH, Kubota, or Massey ferg? As far a reliability? Any have more probs than the other?...it looks like the final decision will be made by which dealer wants to have me as a customer the most...everyone think that's a good decision right?

What are the dealers close to you selling?