Why is it so hard to find a decent or good deal these days?

/ Why is it so hard to find a decent or good deal these days? #1  

Mitch01

Tractor
kubota
Before you could take a drive down to the country side and guaranteed your find a good or very fair deal on used equiptment and/or automobiles. Just sitting in the front drive way with a for sale sign. Now everyone is greedy and pushing every penny they can. I blame programs today like storage wars, pawn stars etc... giving the general puplic a new outlook for private sales. Example I bought a used 1980's bobcat in the early 2000's for $400 from a dairy farmer. I enjoyed this machine and when i wanted to sell it in 2007 I got $3200 for it very easily but then again I put about $800 in parts and paint in it. So whats with this? People thinking there entrepreneurs and haggling.

/ Why is it so hard to find a decent or good deal these days? #2  
Used to be that if somebody wasn't IN the business/market, they probably didn't KNOW the business/market. Now anybody can check pricing around the internet in five minutes.

xtn

/ Why is it so hard to find a decent or good deal these days? #3  
Money is getting tight, people are getting smarter. Hey Mitch, looks like you did what everyone else is trying to do.
I would say you made out like a bandit. Don,t you think you should have basically given that thing away since you used it for seven years, and it cost you 1200.00 bucks. How come you needed to make so much profit ??? LOL

/ Why is it so hard to find a decent or good deal these days? #4  
In 2000 that machine scrapped for $250 now it would scrap for $600, plus the fact that a lot of old iron is gone by the way of the scrap yards, that increases the value of whats left. Simple supply and demand. I also agree the pool of info on the internet allows the average person to price things more in line with markets.

/ Why is it so hard to find a decent or good deal these days? #5  
Last month I got two really nice deals off of Craigslist...
A 2 bottom spring trip plow in really nice shape for $275 and a 5' Howse medium duty box framed adjustable disc harrow for $475...
That disc harrow had only been used 3 times for deer plots and then stored inside a warehouse...
Darn thing is new...
Last year I replaced my stolen air compressor with another Craigslist find...
A very nice 60 gal upright 220V unit with 50' of hose for $250...
It is in new condition...
My other compressor was purchased off of Craigslist also...
I guess that the point I am trying to make is that you can find a good deal occasionally if you are willing to wait and search Craigslist or other used internet listing services...
In these specific instances I was very fortunate...

/ Why is it so hard to find a decent or good deal these days?
I can see how I looked like the bandit but I wasint expecting to make that much profit the price was basicly pulled out of a hat and within a week a contractor bought it no questions asked he also was very happy with the price. Also dairly farmers make over a million dollars a year I know it sounds false but no they have lots of money. The dairy farmer probably bought new equiptment and wanted to get it off his hands. Also I did not haggle the price on the loader was priced $400 and thats what i gave him. I also do not negotiate I think its dirty "a mans price is a mans price". I do miss the days when you could buy cars and trucks for $30-$50. I don't think it has to do with the economy (people are always saying oh look how moneys so tight) even in a prosperity economy. I really think it has to do with modesty, people now have no modesty. In Britian though private sales are priced very good and haggling is very uncommon.

/ Why is it so hard to find a decent or good deal these days? #7  
In 2000 that machine scrapped for $250 now it would scrap for $600, plus the fact that a lot of old iron is gone by the way of the scrap yards, that increases the value of whats left. Simple supply and demand. I also agree the pool of info on the internet allows the average person to price things more in line with markets.

2x on all points. Old equipment like the backhoe we bought in 2010 would cost 10X to buy new. I could talk myself into spending $7200 but no way $72,000 for my use. Unless your really really over pay or get a real piece of juck (blown engine or transmission) you sell it years down the road for the same $$$.

/ Why is it so hard to find a decent or good deal these days? #8  
Used cars in my area are bringing almost the same price as new ones.
Case in point........2008 Chevy Cobalt- 37,000 miles-13,900........... 2012 Chevy Sonic- 3 miles- 16,200

Ain't nothin cheap on my area. 2 prices for everything.

/ Why is it so hard to find a decent or good deal these days? #9  
Greed + Economy + Internet = No Deal

/ Why is it so hard to find a decent or good deal these days? #10  
I can see how I looked like the bandit but I wasint expecting to make that much profit the price was basicly pulled out of a hat and within a week a contractor bought it no questions asked he also was very happy with the price. Also dairly farmers make over a million dollars a year I know it sounds false but no they have lots of money. The dairy farmer probably bought new equiptment and wanted to get it off his hands. Also I did not haggle the price on the loader was priced $400 and thats what i gave him. I also do not negotiate I think its dirty "a mans price is a mans price". I do miss the days when you could buy cars and trucks for $30-$50. I don't think it has to do with the economy (people are always saying oh look how moneys so tight) even in a prosperity economy. I really think it has to do with modesty, people now have no modesty. In Britian though private sales are priced very good and haggling is very uncommon.

I think most of us are just like you in that we wan't to buy low and sell high. I gather that you made out pretty well with the whole deal and didn't let a little modesty get in your way either. LOL.