Buying Advice HELP! Buying new tractor, Massey, Deere, Kubota etc etc

/ HELP! Buying new tractor, Massey, Deere, Kubota etc etc #11  
JENKINSPH- maybe is Should skip the loaded Tires and get a ballast box instead for those times I take the backhoe off?

That would help using the loader in tight spaces but doesn't address the issue of using things such as boxblades or ground engaging tools. You can still get a lot of work done with some of the ground engaging tools though, just won't have maximum traction. As an example I purchased the 110 with topntilt hitch and the BB1284 boxblade at the same time, I can pull the boxblade in 4x4 and do lighter work with it and finish grading. The 4520 with three wheel weights each side and six front weights for a total of about 1100 lbs of ballast does a much better job with the boxblade even though it is lighter than the 110. The reason is the 4520 has more weight over the rear wheels than the 110 does with the backhoe removed.

My point in all of this is to bring up these subtle differences so you can be informed and make good choices BEFORE you buy. As mentioned previously a tiller will work better than a disk or plow if you go with unloaded rear tires and can help with loosening up the soil if you need to grade with a boxblade. Using a rear mower would be better with unloaded tires since you would have less compaction. Just saying if you have just one tractor you need to choose the implements accordingly.

Here's pictures of my boxblade with the 4520, this boxblade is recommended by Deere for the 110 for loader use and at 1250lbs has enough weight to use the fel at full specs. Drop it down with the rippers and it can anchor the 110 in some cases. The 4520 handles it much better.

TLSmith mentions loading the rear tires, well I would make sure you can verify that the backhoe will be able to handle the tractor and additional weight raising it up and across a ditch. I would also make sure this is recommended in the owners manual too.

/ HELP! Buying new tractor, Massey, Deere, Kubota etc etc
Thanks again JENKINSPH for taking the time. I am not sure what you mean by "raising it up across a ditch" if the tires are loaded?

/ HELP! Buying new tractor, Massey, Deere, Kubota etc etc #13  
Thanks again JENKINSPH for taking the time. I am not sure what you mean by "raising it up across a ditch" if the tires are loaded?

Sometimes when digging a ditch, it is necessary to use the hoe, to move the rear of the tractor..........over the ditch. Because you've dug to a point where you can't drive around it. It happens with most any ditch that is dug..........in other words, it's normal activity when using a backhoe. And if the tires are loaded, the hoe may not have the hydraulic power to lift the rear of the tractor enough to accomplish it if the tires are filled with fluid.

/ HELP! Buying new tractor, Massey, Deere, Kubota etc etc #14  

Don explained what I meant pretty well. Sometimes you have to get back on a ditch that was dug earlier too. I drive to the ditch at a 45 degree angle with the loader bucket set almost flat and try to get the bucket on the opposite side of the trench, then raise the front tires enough to slide with the bucket until first tire is on the other side. I then will raise the bucket enough to take the pressure off of it but still maintain contact with the ground. At this point I use the backhoe to walk the back end around and across the trench with the stabilizers extended within a few inches of ground level. The trick to this is to get close enough that you can swing far enough in one try to get the stabilizer to firm ground on the other side. Then do it once more to center the tractor over the ditch and check the front end position.

Obviously the backhoe hydraulics need to be strong enough to pick up and move the rear of the tractor around while the front slides and rolls.

/ HELP! Buying new tractor, Massey, Deere, Kubota etc etc #15  
Morning Bluegill! What did you pay for your L3800 and with what implements? I am shopping for a L3800 with FEL and a BH. Also, I was not clear form the pictures; while operating the BH, do you have to get off the BH and ride back into the tractor to move it or the seat slidesbacks and turns? Thanks

/ HELP! Buying new tractor, Massey, Deere, Kubota etc etc #16  
Morning Bluegill! What did you pay for your L3800 and with what implements? I am shopping for a L3800 with FEL and a BH. Also, I was not clear form the pictures; while operating the BH, do you have to get off the BH and ride back into the tractor to move it or the seat slidesbacks and turns? Thanks

I paid 16K total for the L3800DT w/fel, loaded tires and 5' Land Pride mower. Had 14 hrs on it, but looked brand new. Dealer said it was traded in on larger rig.

I don't have a back hoe and never have. But the ones I've seen on L3800, or similar sized tractor have two seats.

/ HELP! Buying new tractor, Massey, Deere, Kubota etc etc #17  
thanks BuzzardA91 for posting, and others for replying. this is great info, I had the same comparison questions and am still doing research on my preferred tractors - hadn't considered Kioti or Farmall, having fun comparing everything though

Well went to the JD dealership today. Think I may go with the 4105 with FEL and backhoe. Glad I did because it is the same price about as the 3320. You suffer a little bit on bucket lift but get a hydrostatic and not eHydro. I was told I would be likely to rip the controls underneath off on a eHydro. In exchange I get 8 more hp and a bigger machine. The clincher, which I didn't realize, is that JD will give you 48 months at 0%. The discounted price does not matter, cash or finance. Easy to stomach that way and maybe will get an implement that I normally wouldn't. All the others I shopped you have to pay just about msrp if you take the 0%. The price difference from the 4005 and 4105 is $700. With that you get 300 more pound lift on bucket, 200 more on 3 point, as well as hydrostatic tranny. Seems like a no brainer. Also I love the dealership and they have a great reputation.

And NO loaded tires, thank you JENKINSPH

/ HELP! Buying new tractor, Massey, Deere, Kubota etc etc #20  
So did you get did you get the 4105?:confused:

I must say, Jenkinsph talked me into a 110 a couple months ago, and it has been great. About 75 hours of my own now and has been absolutely fantastic. You say there's one for sale locally, how much are they asking and what options are on it. Not meaning to steer you into it, I appreciate buying new as much as the next guy, but with tight funds the 110 was the most tractor for the dollar I could get and has not let me down yet. As far as storage, I'm sure you could put up a nice barn with it:)

View attachment 274593 View attachment 274594