Buying Advice HELP! Buying new tractor, Massey, Deere, Kubota etc etc

/ HELP! Buying new tractor, Massey, Deere, Kubota etc etc #1  

BuzzardA91

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4105. 375 Backhoe. 2005 Polaris Ranger
First Post. I have been a reader for some time now. I just sold my Ford 1710 to buy a newer and larger tractor. I have read ALL the threads on comparisons etc. I am stuck between a MF 1533, JD 3320, and a L3800. I will buy with a FEL and backhoe. I don't care about the 0% financing or resale. I drove all three and like them all. All three of my local dealers I liked and have been around for years and have good reputations. All three I priced are equipped with the heavy duty skid steer style bucket with replaceable cutting edge and loaded R4 tires. All three are the non hydro gear tranny. The MF came back at 28,300 the Kubota at 27,800 and the JD 30k as well (all without tax included). All that being said it seems the MF has a way stronger loader and backhoe, and just seems bigger and heavier (also metal hood and fenders). JD and Kubota just seem to be more popular and there has to be a reason. Help! I want to buy but am trapped weighing the details. Any help would be appreciated. In addition how do those prices seem and how much can you bargain? I don't want to be the only one who pays sticker and doesn't know any better. All three seemed to give me list prices minus the rebates and cash back for not taking the 0% financing.

/ HELP! Buying new tractor, Massey, Deere, Kubota etc etc #2  
All three are good tractors but are not set up to be good tlb models imo. I am going to go out on a limb and say that most informed people buying a tlb configuration today will prefer the hydrostatic transmission over the gear transmission. I would recommend you look at the L39 Kubota for a good tlb configuration, while a little larger it is more capable than the ones you listed and more important is designed to be a tlb. The B26 Kubota is smaller but is still a better design for tlb work than the others you listed. I would recommend the 110tlb that I have but it has been discontinued and is a little larger too.

Using a tractor for both tlb work and tractor 3PH work has some complications that some people don't recognize until they really use them. An example of this is ballasting, when in use most backhoes are heavy enough not to need extra tire weight. Some such as my Deere 110tlb do not recommend rear tire ballast because it is too hard on the machine when positioning over a ditch. When you take the backhoe off the tractor is light in the rear and doesn't have enough traction for some tasks. Lots of people would think the cure is to place a heavy implement on the rear of the tractor which would be fine for loader work but when you lower the implement to the ground then you loose the weight over the tires. I mention this because I see you seem to prefer the gear tractor and would assume you plan to use the tractor for plowing and similar type field work. Hard to have it both ways and just suggest you mull this over before pulling the trigger.

To solve the weight and ballasting issue I bought a separate tractor without fel and added full rear iron weights and front suitcase weights for the jobs requiring tractive work. Alternatively using a tiller instead of a disk is another work around, all of the models work fine for brush mowers too. Working with a boxblade really needs the wheel/tire weights and so would things like subsoilers.

About the pricing you should get about 15 to 18% off the msrp for a cash deal. Atleast that is what I have been able to get without any fist fights for the last three tractor purchases from two different dealers.

/ HELP! Buying new tractor, Massey, Deere, Kubota etc etc #3  
I looked at the same models, plus Kioti and Mahindra, but no BH. The JD seemed to be smaller and the others just didn't feel right, to me.

I bought the L3800 gear drive and absolutely love it! Kubota was the best deal here and I Really like how easy the loader comes off, goes on. 7 months and just over 50 hours and no complaints at all.

/ HELP! Buying new tractor, Massey, Deere, Kubota etc etc #4  
buzzard, welcome to tbn. do you have a kioti dealer near?

/ HELP! Buying new tractor, Massey, Deere, Kubota etc etc #5  
All 3 tractors are good but like you said the MF does have the stronger loader and hydraulics. This tractor is great for back hoe, Ive have sold several of them set up just like you wanted. The only thing I might mention is to look at the MF1540. It is the same tractor as the 1533 but it has a turbo on it. As far as ballasting goes you can always add water and antifreeze to the rear tires and you will be fine.
Jeremy

/ HELP! Buying new tractor, Massey, Deere, Kubota etc etc
Thank you.

The closest Kioti dealer is over an hour away and out of state. I am also afraid of straying from the main brands

JENKINSPH - I'm sure a "one machine does all" is impossible but thanks for the tips. I should specify I will use loader for general property tasks like moving mulch, dirt, rocks etc. I did plan on getting some used forks for lifting larger rocks, I have a lot of them. I also heat with firewood and would like to stack the logs. So the larger lift would not be needed all that often, for that much money I want it to lift it when needed. As for the backhoe I will mostly be digging some small stumps as needed, clearing brush and prickers, making some trails in the woods, moving some logs, and some drainage or small trenches as needed. I will also be getting a rotary mower for a field that's about three acres or so.

The L39 is several thousand more then I want to spend. There is however a real nice used JD110 for sale. I could be in the price range I want to be. My only hesitation is I would have to leave it outside as it is way to high to get in any of my buildings or shelters. It would hurt to spend that money for used and leave it outside.

I guess I should also look at the Farmall series?

/ HELP! Buying new tractor, Massey, Deere, Kubota etc etc #8  
I guess I should also look at the Farmall series?
You could look at others, but you have 3 dealers nearby and you like them all. Why add more confusion to the mix?

I should also add that your backhoe work seems to be 'intermittant', so choose the machine that will do the other chores the best for you. or hire out the backhoe work altogether...........or even rent a backhoe or trackloader for a day or 2.

Welcome to TBN

/ HELP! Buying new tractor, Massey, Deere, Kubota etc etc #9  
Thank you.

The closest Kioti dealer is over an hour away and out of state. I am also afraid of straying from the main brands

JENKINSPH - I'm sure a "one machine does all" is impossible but thanks for the tips. I should specify I will use loader for general property tasks like moving mulch, dirt, rocks etc. I did plan on getting some used forks for lifting larger rocks, I have a lot of them. I also heat with firewood and would like to stack the logs. So the larger lift would not be needed all that often, for that much money I want it to lift it when needed. As for the backhoe I will mostly be digging some small stumps as needed, clearing brush and prickers, making some trails in the woods, moving some logs, and some drainage or small trenches as needed. I will also be getting a rotary mower for a field that's about three acres or so.

The L39 is several thousand more then I want to spend. There is however a real nice used JD110 for sale. I could be in the price range I want to be. My only hesitation is I would have to leave it outside as it is way to high to get in any of my buildings or shelters. It would hurt to spend that money for used and leave it outside.

My 110 lives outside but hopefully I can get my new shop up soon, all it takes is time and money. Not trying to sell you on a 110 but I can say it has served me well and if I only had one machine it would be my choice. I bought mine with a Laurin cab which helps alot with weathering issues, not as good as having a shelter though.

If you do go with a new tractor loader backhoe with filled tires I recommend you try it out trying to raise the rear tires simulating crossing over a ditch. I am the trust but verify type on this. I did take the time to read thru the brochure on the 1533 tractor and liked it but no mention of hydrauic pressure or important specs for the two backhoes that fit this tractor.I did like the hydro with auto throttle as it is a great feature on my 4520.

The loader work you mention should be no problem for any of these tractors, stumping with filled tires shouldn't be a problem either. The L39, L45 and 110 obviously would be much better for heavier work but may be bigger and more costly than you need. When I purchased my 110 in 2005 new I received a discount of $11,000 off the msrp which made it a good deal in my book.

JENKINSPH- maybe is Should skip the loaded Tires and get a ballast box instead for those times I take the backhoe off?