Buying Advice John Deere 4720 temperature gauge problem

/ John Deere 4720 temperature gauge problem #11  
Isn't that the M$ line, "That's not a flaw, it is a feature.":)

/ John Deere 4720 temperature gauge problem #12  
Following is the official response to my query from John Deere's customer service department:

Per our discussion earlier today it is normal for the temperature gauge to read above the 1/2 mark, this is considered normal operation for your 4720. There are some tests your dealer can perform to ensure your unit is operating properly, but I believe you said the dealer has done these test and stated your unit is working as designed. If that is not the case please let me know I will give your dealer a call.

Thank you,
Kimberly
Customer Advisor

Needless to say I am very dissapointed in JD's customer service and this trite response. Take a look at the attached photo of the temp gauge. Does this look "NORMAL" to anyone?

It would be of concern to me also. A few minutes of hard work and the needle will then be in the red, then what?

/ John Deere 4720 temperature gauge problem #13  
It would be of concern to me also. A few minutes of hard work and the needle will then be in the red, then what?

Not necessarily, I have worked my 4520 pretty hard and the temperature guage holds steady.

/ John Deere 4720 temperature gauge problem
Well, I guess it's time for me to throw in the towel on this one. It's just that I've never had a machine that ran past the half way mark, ever, in 50 years of buying anything on two, three, or four wheels. This is a first. Everything else about the machine I like, now that the AC is fixed. My trade in was a good running 4710 JD, and it's temp gauge never went above the 1/4 mark. I think that difference is what really surprised me when I took the wheel of the new 4720. Thanks everyone for your input. What a great resource you are !

/ John Deere 4720 temperature gauge problem #15  
Get a real temp gauge that shows how hot it is.

/ John Deere 4720 temperature gauge problem #16  
My new 4120 runs in that range which concerned me at first as my old 3320 ran about 1/4 on the temp gauge. Was told the powertech deere engines are designed to run hotter than the yanmar engines found on the 3000 series. Anyway, love the tractor so far and have had no issues the turbo really provides a lot of grunt on these engines.

/ John Deere 4720 temperature gauge problem #17  
Well, I guess it's time for me to throw in the towel on this one. It's just that I've never had a machine that ran past the half way mark, ever, in 50 years of buying anything on two, three, or four wheels. This is a first. Everything else about the machine I like, now that the AC is fixed. My trade in was a good running 4710 JD, and it's temp gauge never went above the 1/4 mark. I think that difference is what really surprised me when I took the wheel of the new 4720. Thanks everyone for your input. What a great resource you are !

Your 4710 had a Yanmar engine and the 4720 has a Deere engine so I wouldn't expect the reading to be the same.

/ John Deere 4720 temperature gauge problem #18  
There is a thread under john deere owning operating from someone asking the same thing about a new 4520. If you check it you will find pretty much the same responses from other owners, seems to be normal.

/ John Deere 4720 temperature gauge problem #19  
I too was expecting the gauge to show higher. It looks like mine did on my 4720. I think everything looks fine.

/ John Deere 4720 temperature gauge problem #20  
Was out for several hours shredding in the heat. Temp stayed like this the whole time.

Attachments

• image-993307784.jpg
    image-993307784.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 314