Buying Advice Rocket Steel Buildings aka Centuria Steel Corp aka Aztec Steel, etc...

/ Rocket Steel Buildings aka Centuria Steel Corp aka Aztec Steel, etc... #1  
Tractor
CAT247B Skidsteer / Kubota KH50 Midi Excavator / Waterjet Cutting Machine / 24ft Bandsaw type sawmill / John Deere D170 mower.
I am located Vancouver Island in Canada. Need a new building for my Waterjet business.

Considering buying a 30x40x20ft tall arch style Steel Building from Rocket Steel Buildings aka Centuria Steel Corp aka Aztec Steel. I was dealing through a dealer name of Med-Rx Ltd out of Walters Falls Ontario.

Cannot find any unbiased info on Rocket Steel Buildings aka Centuria Steel Corp aka Aztec Steel that is not controlled by them. Example I see countless recommendations about how good they are but all of those sites are controlled by the Vendor. Their internet presence is enormous with 1600 links back to their websites reported. Seems strange to me to have such a huge internet presence but apparently no real Customers that I can find.

I was dealing with Rocket Steel Buildings, then I found the Contract is with Centuria Steel Corp. The Contract was poorly scanned and I was asked to sign when it is impossible to read the fine print and the back of the Contract was not sent to me at all. I asked for them to resend such that I can read the Contract but they have not yet resent the Contract so I can read it. When I asked for clarification re these many peculiarities, the reception from them got noticeably colder.

No records from BBB on them. Their office is located Philadelphia but the Pennsylvania Dept of State reported they have no address of record on file from them. Records show that Rocket Steel was incorporated only last year.

The owner of the organization is reported to be Arnold Davis. Mr. Davis is also shown as the President of Olympia Steel Buildings, Aztec Steel and Universal Steel Buildings.

A Lawyer name of David W. Engstrom filed their trademarks, but Mr. Engstrom will not return my messages and the law firm where he worked, they report he is no longer working there.

I asked for references but to date Rocket Steel Buildings aka Centuria Steel Corp aka Aztec Steel will not provide any references.

I asked Rocket Steel Buildings aka Centuria Steel Corp aka Aztec Steel to join the BBB prior to the sale to me but they have not responded to that message either. But to be fair, I have not yet joined the BBB either but I did ask my local BBB for membership. My local BBB has not got back to me as yet.

I would very much like to be positive and give these folks the benefit of the doubt. But my due diligence up to this point is not pointing in a positive direction.
Anyone bought from Rocket Steel or Centuria Steel ?

Next option was to buy from Alpine Steel Buildings of Kelowna Canada who are stated as retailers for the Pioneer Steel and Metallic Steel products.
Anyone bought from Alpine Steel ?

Thank you in advance for your input...

Very much hoping I can followup this post with a great report that Rocket Steel Buildings aka Centuria Steel Corp aka Aztec Steel are all good people.

/ Rocket Steel Buildings aka Centuria Steel Corp aka Aztec Steel, etc... #2  
From what you have stated about Rocket Steel Buildings aka Centuria Steel Corp aka Aztec Steel and the reputation that Olympic Steel Building has ( since you say the same owner) I would be very hesitant to go forward with your contract. My research has shown there is poor history from a lot of the steel building companies and they all seem high pressure, "we are the only steel company that (fill in the blank)" and are short on substance.

Tread very carefully and if you do not get a good feeling which you do not seem to at this point run away.

/ Rocket Steel Buildings aka Centuria Steel Corp aka Aztec Steel, etc... #3  
For what it's worth, I put up a 25x30 Future Steel building about 8 years ago. (head office - Markham, Ontario. http://futuresteel.com/) I placed a deposit with credit card, which leaves you with some sort of dispute resolution if the building didn't ship to you for some reason. When the building arrived, I paid the trucker with a cashier's check for the balance. In fact, they had 3 buildings for my local area (in the US) on the same truck.
The only issues have been with the overhead door, but none of the blame for that goes to Future Steel. It goes to Raynor doors.
I would recommend the industrial base plates for mounting. Removes the headache of pouring a footer or slab with a channel built into it. Bolt the plates to your foundation and then bolt your assembled arches to the plates. Much easier (though costlier) than grouting the building base into a channel that you had to build into the foundation.
I agree with Furu. I think that the research you've performed on that particular outfit is good cause to run away from them.

/ Rocket Steel Buildings aka Centuria Steel Corp aka Aztec Steel, etc... #4  
I have found most metal building companies to be competively priced. I recommend you buy the same brand that most of the local builders are buying, ask a few of them which company they recommend. Whether you have them erect it for you or DIY most contractors will level with you and tell you which steel company has come through for them. This is one area of the construction market where big and established firms are a better choice. In my locale Mueller is the best choice, been around a long time and have the physical plant to do it right, that is important for a good fit.

I should add that the smaller upstart companies are not going to get a better price for materials than the larger well established outfits. That said I would be leary of some of their claims of better quality and pricing as this isn't rocket science.

/ Rocket Steel Buildings aka Centuria Steel Corp aka Aztec Steel, etc... #5  
JUst from your research, doing business under multiple names, no references, no real address, I would look else where. I have heard these type buildings are very labor intensive to assemble and most would not do it again.By the time you add foundation work and mount plates, the price goes way up. They all seem to sell either as "cancelled orders" original buyer made deposit, save it from the auction block (it's on a truck, but it can be called back) etc.

Search quanset building

/ Rocket Steel Buildings aka Centuria Steel Corp aka Aztec Steel, etc... #6  
Go with a different company!!!

/ Rocket Steel Buildings aka Centuria Steel Corp aka Aztec Steel, etc... #7  
JUst from your research, doing business under multiple names, no references, no real address, I would look else where. I have heard these type buildings are very labor intensive to assemble and most would not do it again.By the time you add foundation work and mount plates, the price goes way up. They all seem to sell either as "cancelled orders" original buyer made deposit, save it from the auction block (it's on a truck, but it can be called back) etc.

Search quanset building

As someone who has assembled, put up and owns one of these structures, I'd tend to disagree. Sure, there were a couple of 2.5 gallon buckets of bolts & nuts used to assemble the panels. I wound up having way more than enough. But how many times will you swing a hammer or drive a screw when framing a more traditional building? What about setting trusses and covering with plywood/shingles or steel? As far as foundation work goes, you're going to have that on any building. So they aren't really more labor intensive from my point of view. A new, never assembled one became available locally and I came very close to buying it a few weeks back, but decided to sit on the money for a while due to retiring recently. I would definitely do another one when the need arises.
As Bluegill says, just find yourself a more reputable outfit to deal with.
Hopefully VIW will post back with his results.

Last edited:
   / Rocket Steel Buildings aka Centuria Steel Corp aka Aztec Steel, etc... #8  
Dear Vancouver Island Waterjet and other posters on this thread,

This is Arnold Davis, writing to you to assure you of the quality and reliability of Rocket Steel Buildings. I am the president and owner of Universal Steel Buildings, supplier of Olympia Steel Buildings in the US and Canada. We have a BBB A+ rating both in the US and Canada. You can check our Canadian BBB rating here: Olympia Steel Buildings Canada Business Review in Unionville, ON - Mid-Western & Central Ontario BBB.

I have been in the steel building business for over 40 years and counting and formed the new company, Centuria Steel Buildings to address the needs of Canadian purchasers of arch and quonset-style buildings who are looking for a solid and reliable company that provides an outstanding product. We are currently applying for BBB membership for Centuria. Aztec Steel Buildings has been manufacturing our buildings for 40 years and I can tell you that we stand behind our buildings with some of the best warranties in the business. The manufacturing plant is state of the art and the buildings meet and exceed all US and Canada codes. We have CANADA CAN/CSA A660 Certification of Steel Building Systems from our Manufacturer, Canadian Welding Bureau CSA W47.1 Certifications, and many others here: Rocket Steel Canada Metal Building Quality Certifications.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me personally: 1-888-449-7756.

Sincerely,

Arnold Davis, President

/ Rocket Steel Buildings aka Centuria Steel Corp aka Aztec Steel, etc... #9  
I am located Vancouver Island in Canada. Need a new building for my Waterjet business.

Considering buying a 30x40x20ft tall arch style Steel Building from Rocket Steel Buildings aka Centuria Steel Corp aka Aztec Steel. I was dealing through a dealer name of Med-Rx Ltd out of Walters Falls Ontario.

Cannot find any unbiased info on Rocket Steel Buildings aka Centuria Steel Corp aka Aztec Steel that is not controlled by them. Example I see countless recommendations about how good they are but all of those sites are controlled by the Vendor. Their internet presence is enormous with 1600 links back to their websites reported. Seems strange to me to have such a huge internet presence but apparently no real Customers that I can find.

I was dealing with Rocket Steel Buildings, then I found the Contract is with Centuria Steel Corp. The Contract was poorly scanned and I was asked to sign when it is impossible to read the fine print and the back of the Contract was not sent to me at all. I asked for them to resend such that I can read the Contract but they have not yet resent the Contract so I can read it. When I asked for clarification re these many peculiarities, the reception from them got noticeably colder.

No records from BBB on them. Their office is located Philadelphia but the Pennsylvania Dept of State reported they have no address of record on file from them. Records show that Rocket Steel was incorporated only last year.

The owner of the organization is reported to be Arnold Davis. Mr. Davis is also shown as the President of Olympia Steel Buildings, Aztec Steel and Universal Steel Buildings.

A Lawyer name of David W. Engstrom filed their trademarks, but Mr. Engstrom will not return my messages and the law firm where he worked, they report he is no longer working there.

I asked for references but to date Rocket Steel Buildings aka Centuria Steel Corp aka Aztec Steel will not provide any references.

I asked Rocket Steel Buildings aka Centuria Steel Corp aka Aztec Steel to join the BBB prior to the sale to me but they have not responded to that message either. But to be fair, I have not yet joined the BBB either but I did ask my local BBB for membership. My local BBB has not got back to me as yet.

I would very much like to be positive and give these folks the benefit of the doubt. But my due diligence up to this point is not pointing in a positive direction.
Anyone bought from Rocket Steel or Centuria Steel ?

Next option was to buy from Alpine Steel Buildings of Kelowna Canada who are stated as retailers for the Pioneer Steel and Metallic Steel products.
Anyone bought from Alpine Steel ?

Thank you in advance for your input...

Very much hoping I can followup this post with a great report that Rocket Steel Buildings aka Centuria Steel Corp aka Aztec Steel are all good people.

Dear Vancouver Island Waterjet:

To demonstrate our good faith, and to give you confidence when you buy from us we invite you to fly out to visit our plant as our guest at our expense. We invite you to see firsthand that we consistently produce a quality reliable product and that our building manufacturing plant is the most sophisticated and advanced in North America and anywhere in the world. I don't believe that anyone else, that any other building company, is willing to do that. Unlike some other companies, we can guarantee product quality because we are the manufacturer, not just another building broker. We know that once you visit us, you will be satisfied that we are good people, we are for real, and we stand behind our product. Please call me directly at 888-449-7756.

Sincerely,

Arnold Davis, President

/ Rocket Steel Buildings aka Centuria Steel Corp aka Aztec Steel, etc... #10  
Dear Vancouver Island Waterjet:

To demonstrate our good faith, and to give you confidence when you buy from us we invite you to fly out to visit our plant as our guest at our expense. We invite you to see firsthand that we consistently produce a quality reliable product and that our building manufacturing plant is the most sophisticated and advanced in North America and anywhere in the world. I don't believe that anyone else, that any other building company, is willing to do that. Unlike some other companies, we can guarantee product quality because we are the manufacturer, not just another building broker. We know that once you visit us, you will be satisfied that we are good people, we are for real, and we stand behind our product. Please call me directly at 888-449-7756.

Sincerely,

Arnold Davis, President

If you have time, take Arnold up on his offer, VIW. If that isn't good faith, I don't know what is.