Buying Advice Farmall H or WD45

/ Farmall H or WD45
I grew up using WD/WD45's and H/M's. In my mind there's no question that the WD45 is the better tractor. The H (and M) were effectively upgraded 30's tractors while the WD's were the class leaders moving into the 50's and 60's tractors. From a horsepower standpoint, the H is really a WD counterpoint while the 45 was comparable to the M. As others have noted, the H and M just had nothing like the hydraulics and live PTO on the WD and WD45.

I always thought the AC's were easy to work on but really, all the tractors from that era were pretty easy to work on.

I hope they are easy to work on Kenny, I had a unique opportunity and took it. I purchased a 1952 WD. I might have paid too much for it but it has centimental value to me that is beyond dollars. I talked my uncle into selling me my grandfathers tractor. As you can see in the pic it has the manure bucket. It also has an aftermarket 3 point hitch. I did some research and looking online and I told my uncle that I'd go as high as $1200 but would feel better at $1000. He took the $1K so I don't think either one of us got hurt too bad. The only things that are really wrong with it is the manifold it has a leak and it needs new front tires.

I had to take apart the carb and flush and clean it but it started and I drove it home last night. I think the carb needs a rebuild as I had to hold the choke out a little for it to run smooth but I intended to do that anyway. The tractor was fully functional three years ago and has new tires in the rear. I think other than the above items, fluid changes, lubrication, a good power washing, sanding, wire brushing, some paint and decals I'll have a good investment. Especially since I rode on the fender next to my grandpa in the late 60's and early 70's.

Attachments

• ACWD1.jpg
    ACWD1.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 282
  • ACWD2.jpg
    ACWD2.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 548
   / Farmall H or WD45 #12  
Looks like you made a good choice. I spent a lot of hours sitting on the toolbox also.

/ Farmall H or WD45 #13  
i'd lean toward an H.. but take a wd if one came up.

parts may be a hair more available for an H.. but there are tons of wd out there. if you live north you can get them sub 1000$

i'd have to say either will be nice.

I'm looking for a wd myself.

already have an H.