Buying Advice Farmall H or WD45

/ Farmall H or WD45 #1  

jonny2guns4u

Tractor
Allis Chalmers WD
Hello All,

I need advice,

My Family has had a farm since my dad was a kid. Grandpa had a WD45 and an 8N. I live on 3 acers on the front of the property and I don't work the farm. My uncle still has both of the tractors but uses a John Deere 4020 for most things around the farm. It's a small farm, 150 acres and the neighbor does the planting, harvesting etc. They farm a few thousand acres and have much larger equipment.

Here are my questions. I want a tractor. What should I get? I don't want to spend more then $2000 to purchase a decent operational tractor. It will not be used for work, it's just going to be toy. If nice enough I might putt it in the local burg parades. I'm leaning twords either a WD45 or a Farmall H. I know the WD45 has more horsepower but which is the best to work on, easiest to get parts and cheapest to fix up? I've looked around on Craigslist and see each in my budget.

I don't know much about tractors except at times I have used the smaller formentioned tractors to do a little work for my uncle on the family farm. The 8N works okay to bush hog but not having a live PTO sucks during turns and stops. The Hand Clutch on the WD45 is a nice feature but the narrow front end freaks me out on the hilly areas on the farm.

Suggestions welcome but I need facts to make my decission.

Thanks,
jonny2guns4u

Last edited:
   / Farmall H or WD45 #2  
I have a wide front end WD-45 upgraded to 55 hp
Not many leaks and still in its work clothes so know not repainted or rebuilt. The engine had a water leak head gasket cured the problem.
Also grew up with a "H" farmall and the "H" is better tractor to drive and use. Getting parts about same type of problems. just need to find supplier.
The best way is get on the tractor and use about 4 hours then do same with other. Ease of clutch able to shift the transmission and braking action. Steering on both about same builds up the arm muscles.
Now if you want my tractor we could meet 1/2 way and discuss the arangement of payments.
almost always one easy of cash works best.
ken

/ Farmall H or WD45 #3  
There are 4 or 5 Farmall H's in my tractor club (120 or so members) and no WD45's. All of the H's are
set up for sled pulling. Based on my owning a 1947 Farmall Cub and a 1951 Farmall Super A, my guess would be that parts availability would be better for the H.

/ Farmall H or WD45 #4  
Plenty of parts for the 8n and a overrunning clutch on the PTO will solve your problems running the brush hog.
WD45 and hand clutch witch works similar to live power is a great tractor if you want that size.
For me the three point hitch of the 8N is the best.
Internationl H at least the ones I ever used or baled with do not have live power and IH's hitch system left something to be desired.
In the woods the 8N preforms very well

/ Farmall H or WD45 #5  
Think the OP said looking for a tractor to use in local parade not needed for work. Was this witch or with works on the WD-45. the hydraulics work if use long enough to learn just where the detent is to a fraction width on the steering post.
Farmall engineers of the "H" day had something against Hydraulics and 3 point lift. it would of made a great tractor with live hydro.
And since the OP never jumped at chance to get my WD-45 will make same offer to any others willing to look and drive.
The local assessor and I cannot get to a compromise on value. Never a tax they don't want to increase.
ken

/ Farmall H or WD45
I have a wide front end WD-45 upgraded to 55 hp
Not many leaks and still in its work clothes so know not repainted or rebuilt. The engine had a water leak head gasket cured the problem.
Also grew up with a "H" farmall and the "H" is better tractor to drive and use. Getting parts about same type of problems. just need to find supplier.
The best way is get on the tractor and use about 4 hours then do same with other. Ease of clutch able to shift the transmission and braking action. Steering on both about same builds up the arm muscles.
Now if you want my tractor we could meet 1/2 way and discuss the arangement of payments.
almost always one easy of cash works best.
ken

Thanks for the offer Ken but I think even half way to Arkansas is too far. It would cost a couple hundred just in Diesel.

/ Farmall H or WD45 #7  
Well I would of been surprised if you had came the distance It is called "buying a pig in a poke". idea.
Usually 2 tanks of fuel to get into Eastern Ohio. Go to the Columbus Dairy cattle fair some times.
Still think a "H" farmall is a good choice and aftermarket 3 point hitch makes it better.
Ever see the tractor square dance. takes good brakes.
ken

/ Farmall H or WD45
Well I would of been surprised if you had came the distance It is called "buying a pig in a poke". idea.
Usually 2 tanks of fuel to get into Eastern Ohio. Go to the Columbus Dairy cattle fair some times.
Still think a "H" farmall is a good choice and aftermarket 3 point hitch makes it better.
Ever see the tractor square dance. takes good brakes.
ken

I found an H today in Parade Condition for $2200. And on Craigslist there is an H with the 3 Point Hitch for $1700. I'm thinking about going to look at the later this weekend but $2200 in Parade Condition is a pretty good deal I think.

I just really like the way the WD45 is able to adjust the rear "stance" easily and I just love the hand clutch. As wall as the higher horse power and they already have a 3 point, albeit proprietary. Again I'm kind of stoked that I found one so nice. Wish it had the 3 point.

BTW, I work in SW Columbus everyday.

Jonny2guns4u

/ Farmall H or WD45 #9  
I found an H today in Parade Condition for $2200. And on Craigslist there is an H with the 3 Point Hitch for $1700. I'm thinking about going to look at the later this weekend but $2200 in Parade Condition is a pretty good deal I think.

I just really like the way the WD45 is able to adjust the rear "stance" easily and I just love the hand clutch. As wall as the higher horse power and they already have a 3 point, albeit proprietary. Again I'm kind of stoked that I found one so nice. Wish it had the 3 point.

BTW, I work in SW Columbus everyday.

Jonny2guns4u

The $1700 is about the price they run for a farm "H" so may be a good tractor. to check on amount of work and still has the original draw bar look at the pin hole if egg shaped many miles towing equipment if really egg shaped may be worn to point will need repairs. the gov. some times over chokes the engine at full throttle or may run to lean most I have rode had this problem
Look closely at the sheet metal warped and bent or missing shows careless owner. all most all tractors are sold on the as is where is warrenty . Don't know your experance so this is just reminder . Good Luck
ken

/ Farmall H or WD45 #10  
I grew up using WD/WD45's and H/M's. In my mind there's no question that the WD45 is the better tractor. The H (and M) were effectively upgraded 30's tractors while the WD's were the class leaders moving into the 50's and 60's tractors. From a horsepower standpoint, the H is really a WD counterpoint while the 45 was comparable to the M. As others have noted, the H and M just had nothing like the hydraulics and live PTO on the WD and WD45.

I always thought the AC's were easy to work on but really, all the tractors from that era were pretty easy to work on.