first tractor

/ first tractor #1  

klyders

Tractor
none
Good day to all,
Need advice on a good tractor w/bucket for 40 acres. Rolling acreage, some fenceline (3000 ft) to clear.Any responses would be helpful, along with basic implements, etc.....what a great site!

/ first tractor #2  
I will not suggest any certain make or model, because everyone has different varying opinions. I would definitely suggest 4WD. If you review the forums here on TBN related to specific makes and models, you will acquire a lot of insight in helping you choose. The following website will supply you with specs. Hope this helps. Best wishes. BTW, good to have you aboard. TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of tractors

/ first tractor #3  
Personal preference here...
First tier I like New Holland, Kubota, Massey, Deere, Case-IH, in no particular order...
Second tier I like Mahindra, LS...
Third tier anything else...
I would stick to a 40 to 70 HP utility sized tractor...
That will give you more options and capability than a large compact...
FEL, bush hog to start with...
More implements later...

/ first tractor #4  
i would stick to 60 hp and up i have a 40 hp and its to small for me the fel cap is to small the 3 pt is tiny the tractor is to light it spins when trying to scoop stuff up in bucket

/ first tractor #5  
If your just gonna clear 40 acres...hire it out. If your gonna use the tractor to farm the 40 acres after it is cleared...go with around 60 hp, transmission choice is up to your personal preference. Like has been mentioned, people are faithful to their brands just like fords and chevys, so try a few seats and see what fits ya.

/ first tractor #7  
First tier I like New Holland, Kubota, Massey, Deere, Case-IH, in no particular order...
More implements later...

I'd add Kioti to the tier 2 machines, but agree beyond that.

You will get more done with a utility tractor than a compact utility tractor (CUT). A 45HP utility would likely be more powerful than a 60HP CUT, but the CUT is much easier and user friendly to drive. Since you're new to tractors I'd recommend sticking with a CUT just so it's easier, also from owning and operating both, HST is a big plus.

/ first tractor
thanks for the info.........i'll keep this in mind.

/ first tractor #9  
If I were going to mow 40 acres regularly I'd want a 15ft.+ batwing style rotary mower. To pull it effectively you'll need about 75 horse power at the pto. If you're just going to mow, a geared transmission is fine. If you're planning on a lot of loader work I would go with a shuttle shift or hydrostatic transmission. With a machine this big you could probably get away with 2wd but 4wd is sure nice to have. As I recall Shepherdstown gets about the same amount ot snow as we do here in Baltimore County. I don't know if scraper blades are availabe in really wide widths, but it's what I'd use for snow up to 18". You will probably want a cab for mowing in the summer heat and R1 tires. I would be looking at JD, Massey and New Holland for a machine this big.

/ first tractor #10  
More implements later...

New Holland and Case compact tractors (Ag tractors is a different story) are also second tier. All the New Holland and Case compact/compact utility tractors are made by LS Tractors now; not the same quality as the older compact tractors made by Shibaura. I would say Kubota, Massey and Deere are tier one and Kioti is in the middle between tier one and tier two (it is a good tractor).

You might be better off with an Ag Tractor (bigger, heavier, and a little more stability). Is the acreage open, open with small scrub, wooded or a combination of open and wooded? What are you looking to do with the property? Create a meadow, plant crops, hayfield or etc.?

Last edited: