24 Hours from pulling the trigger

/ 24 Hours from pulling the trigger #1  

BuzzardA91

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4105. 375 Backhoe. 2005 Polaris Ranger
Thank you for the help under "HELP! Buying new tractor, Massey, Deere, Kubota etc etc." I am going to think for another day but I plan to go with the JD 4105 with FEL and Backhoe. Everything I shopped was competitve in price. JD offers 0% for 48 months and gives you a discounted price if you take it or not. Kubota, Massey, and New Holland only gave a discounted price if you don't take the financing. Free money for 48 months makes buying an implement or two easier to swallow.

As for the model I choose I welcome any input. There are some points from the last thread that I will address and weighed in my decision. First of all my backhoe needs are intemediate at best. Also, I did not want to step up to the 4120 for the "nicer features" it has for two reasons. Cost is one, about 5k. Mostly I don't want the eHydro which I guess stands for electric Hydro. I was told by JD that means that the transmmission is electronically controlled verusing using levers and such. The problem they said is if you plan to be in the woods the wiring and controllers are under the tractor and not very well protected and can be torn off. An easy repair but disabling none the less. I often have my tractor in the woods and drive right over stuff like Mountain Laurel and branches, this would be a problem. The 4105 has a Hydro tranny (controlled with levers) but not an eHydro and they are supposed to be excellent from what I have read. It was only a $700 difference to go from the 4005 to 4105. For this you go from gear to Hydro, 300 more pounds lift on loader, 200 more pounds of lift on hitch, and the newer style backhoe.

From all the threads I have read, and advise from others, it is a simple no frills reliable tractor. Simple, thats for me. And going from a Ford 1710 to this will be "fancy" as far as I'm concered.

I would appreciate any input before I go order.

I liked all the dealers I went to and was very happy with the people at JD.

My uses are property maintenance of 20 acres, mowing a 3-4 acres field, firewood, making trails in woods, few food plots etc etc. I started this search wanting a plain old gear tractor but got steered away by almost everyone. For $700 I'll take the extra loader and 3 point lift alone, the Hydro is a bonus.

Shopped heavy for used over the last month. Would end up spending 20-22K with no warranty at all. For about 8K more I can go new, get a warranty, and any abuse done to tractor would be on me.

What do you think?

/ 24 Hours from pulling the trigger #2  
Just me but I would definately prefer the Ehydro with three ranges. So far no issues with wiring being abraded or pulled loose.

/ 24 Hours from pulling the trigger #3  
I RAN GEAR TRANNY SINCE I WAS 11 PEOPLE TRYED TO TALK ME out of it id say if you want gear get gear i love gear wouldnt even think of an auto tranny i cant use my left leg 100% and i can shift i own an shuddle shift kubota m7040 thats one thing i hate about newer tractors no straight gear opin

/ 24 Hours from pulling the trigger
CASE245 - but why? I felt the same way until I was asked why. I guess all I could come up with is "just becasue." Times change. I always had a standard pickup until two years ago, now I have an automatic, wouldnt go back. I hear what your saying but why?

/ 24 Hours from pulling the trigger #5  
there are times gear tranny and constant shifting can speed up production of projects. due to more power to the ground, and if you have enough "low, med, high" gear options then 1 through 4 gears for each range. you can really fine tune your speed.

but for myself for a multi purpose tractor that will do a little bit of everything, it means i will most likely be going forward to reverse a bunch of times, or i will be constantly going from short small runs were i need low gear, and then a couple minutes i can go high gear, then back to low gear. it is like driving down town, and you hit every stop light, and going up a steep hill to boot. and will need to barely creep 1/2" to couple inches at times to set things or get FEL just right. and for this i do not like constantly pushing in clutch to change gears. and then having to keep brakes press at same time, due to on a hill.

shuttle shift, hydrostatic pedal, and automatic in a sense gear shifting. helps be more productive at least for me. and reducing risk i may mis judge and get into an accident errr hit something or damage something.

i rather have one foot operating the gas pedal / HST pedal / go pedal, and other foot operating split rear left and right brake pedals vs one tied up for a clutch. and some sort of gear selector with a clutch button on the gear selector.

one thing i do not like, is over heating the transmission with hydrostatic transmissions. (running to high of a gear, and going up to steep of a hill and/or to much load) a hydro will slip and you may not notice, compared to a geared transmission were the engine will begin to bog down.

i am wishing i had a transmission heat gauge, much like radiator heat gauge / engine heat gauge. so i could get some sort of tall tale sign possible of over working things.

/ 24 Hours from pulling the trigger #6  
Boggen,
Why not add the heat guage and sensor? Shouldn't be very difficult to do.

FWIW, I have worked my 110 hard a few times and have never had any overheating or warming issues with it. I think most modern equipment is designed and built to dissapate the heat well enough to be a non issue. It is easy to remember years ago when lots of vehicles and machinery did have problems, but this seems to be in the past for the most part.

/ 24 Hours from pulling the trigger #7  
Most of the time my hydro stays in the middle range, using low for precision or heavy grunt work and high to move fast when unloaded. If you have settled on a Deere for the financing deal, I would opt for the EHydro IF it means having 3 ranges.

/ 24 Hours from pulling the trigger #8  
The 4105 is a great basic tractor at a very reasonable cost (IMHO) Dont get me wrong - I think the eHydro is great - but there is a substantial price difference and it doesnt seem like the additional features correspond to the needs of the OP. Dont forget there is a $500.00 Implement Bonus available - your loader and backhoe count as the first & second implements so you dont need anything additional. Also - the dealer can buy the 0%/48Mos down to 0%/60Mos with 2.5% of the amount financed. Do the numbers... Finance 30K and the additional year of 0% would cost $750.00. If you are comfortable with the payments at 48 months then it wont be worth it but it is another avenue available to you.

I'm bout ready to give up and buy a shovel and wheelbarrow. After yet ANOTHER conflicting report from a JD dealer I went on my own for my questions. JD corporate was ZERO help. We know the models better then who I spoke with.

I'm back to the 4105 if I don't just give up on whole thing out frustration, it shouldn't be this hard, and it is no longer fun. At the dealer today there was a 3320 with a broken backhoe, bolts and mounts. Mechanic said it was over worked and too heavy for frame of 3320. Totally opposite what other JD dealer said. They said 3320 was a far stronger frame then 4105, hence the bigger backhoe.

Here is what I found. The 4105 is considered a large framed CUT and the 3320 a medium framed. However, the rear axle on the 4105 is rated for 4000 pounds and the 3320 5,200 pounds. I think THAT is why the bigger hoe.

Also found on my own ground clearance on 3320 is 11" and the 4105 14.7". This will be important for me. 4105 also comes with way bigger tires.

I don't like the plastic on the 3320, I don't like all the electronic controls on 3320. I do like the bigger hoe and the smoother eHydro. I like the 12" wider width of 4105, don't like the jerkier transmission, afraid of the turbo, but do like the simplicity and the way more HP.

Confused on why the 4105 has a 10% reduced lift but 10% greater breakout force which I think is a more Important measurement.

Four dealers so far. One said don't sell or make the 4105 anymore. One said 4105 doesn't come with quick park loader hoe, cruise, SCV. All wrong according to brochure. Other dealer can have in a week.

I guess I'm on my own. I want simple but don't want to buy stupid. Maybe the 3320 with broken hoe is the only one ever to break but it is wearing on me.

I'm bout ready to give up and buy a shovel and wheelbarrow. After yet ANOTHER conflicting report from a JD dealer I went on my own for my questions. JD corporate was ZERO help. We know the models better then who I spoke with.

I'm back to the 4105 if I don't just give up on whole thing out frustration, it shouldn't be this hard, and it is no longer fun. At the dealer today there was a 3320 with a broken backhoe, bolts and mounts. Mechanic said it was over worked and too heavy for frame of 3320. Totally opposite what other JD dealer said. They said 3320 was a far stronger frame then 4105, hence the bigger backhoe.

Here is what I found. The 4105 is considered a large framed CUT and the 3320 a medium framed. However, the rear axle on the 4105 is rated for 4000 pounds and the 3320 5,200 pounds. I think THAT is why the bigger hoe.

Also found on my own ground clearance on 3320 is 11" and the 4105 14.7". This will be important for me. 4105 also comes with way bigger tires.

I don't like the plastic on the 3320, I don't like all the electronic controls on 3320. I do like the bigger hoe and the smoother eHydro. I like the 12" wider width of 4105, don't like the jerkier transmission, afraid of the turbo, but do like the simplicity and the way more HP.

Confused on why the 4105 has a 10% reduced lift but 10% greater breakout force which I think is a more Important measurement.

Four dealers so far. One said don't sell or make the 4105 anymore. One said 4105 doesn't come with quick park loader hoe, cruise, SCV. All wrong according to brochure. Other dealer can have in a week.

I guess I'm on my own. I want simple but don't want to buy stupid. Maybe the 3320 with broken hoe is the only one ever to break but it is wearing on me.