Comparison Rotary Cutters (single rotary)

/ Rotary Cutters (single rotary) #1  

HLM4406

Tractor
New Holland TN65S
I have used Bush Hog brand mowers for years and was wondering what everyone thought about other brands like Bush Whacker, Rhino and so forth? The Bush Whacker looks like a well built mower has anyone out there have any comments on it? I use mostly for grass and weeds not much brush but looking for a mower with less maintenance if there is such a thing.:eek:

/ Rotary Cutters (single rotary) #2  
Nothing out there is going to be less maintenance if you want it to last. But that said, rotary cutters arent really high maintenance machines. Keep the oil topped up, the vent hole clear, blades sharpened once in awhile, and keep the deck clear of debris that rot them out. thats it.

But on to your question. Bushhog, landpride, woods, rhino, seem to be about the top 3.

But even lighter duty stuff like KK will last YEARS if you arent using it commercially and only cutting a few acres a few times a year. Others may disagree with that though. But I have had good luck with SEVERAL no-name or cheaper brands 5' cutters that are old and rusted and can be had on craigslist for under $200 everyday. Some of them look like they have been through the ringer, and still have tight gearboxes. Which is about the only thing that can be expensive to fix. Everything else can be welded and patched cheaply if you ahve a welder:thumbsup:

/ Rotary Cutters (single rotary) #3  
Pretty much what LD1 said, I use Woods and Land Pride as we cut some pretty heavy brush, but my brothers buy low cost ones used mostly on grass and light brush and they get years of use out of them. They weld a patch on if needed or put a new gear box on to extend their usefulness.

/ Rotary Cutters (single rotary) #4  
The toughest multi-spindle shredder I ever used was a 20 year old Mohawk brand 10' cutter. Behind a 120 hp tractor I could pretty much go logging with it. Never turned a wrench on it the entire time I had it. Why pair a 10' cutter behind a 120hp tractor? Well, to reclaim old fields that had been overrun with mesquite and cedar that you wanted to regain a little control over.

Today and to me, Woods cutters are on the top end of the $ and Howse cutters are still reasonably good at the bottom end.

/ Rotary Cutters (single rotary) #5  
I have used 3 mowers, 1st massey 1005 junk, 2nd frontier rc1060 LOVE the high lift blades Great cutter, 3rd modern ag galvinized pretty much bullet proof. if you could mount Frontier high lift blades on a Modern Ag. You would have the fines cutter on the market. But thats just me.
david

/ Rotary Cutters (single rotary) #6  
I bought used so brand was not main consideration.I did want a HD top of the line model. I would have bought Bush Hog, LandPride, Rhino, or Woods. I really liked Woods ease of blade removal. I found a Bush Hog 297 for a great price and bought it

Attachments

• discbushhog 007.JPG
    discbushhog 007.JPG
    826.3 KB · Views: 495
   / Rotary Cutters (single rotary) #7  
I have had good luck with both a Bush Hog and a Howse brands.

/ Rotary Cutters (single rotary) #8  
i have a selection of howse and king kutter and servis (rhino )..

IMHO.. look at cutter lines less than names.

IE.. when you look at LD cutters.. most perform about the same. same with HD.

more metal usually menas more $$ and more durability.. etc.

/ Rotary Cutters (single rotary) #9  
Just got a bush-whacker hd-72 that I use with my jd 5055 and I love it u would be hard pressed to beat the quality and just overall build the high performance st-7210 is even better I would buy this model if I had to do it again just cause it's built like a brick shithouse and has blade tip speed of over 18,000fpm that's finishing mower speed where the hd-72 is 14,200fpm

/ Rotary Cutters (single rotary) #10  
Just got a bush-whacker hd-72 that I use with my jd 5055 and I love it u would be hard pressed to beat the quality and just overall build the high performance st-7210 is even better I would buy this model if I had to do it again just cause it's built like a brick shithouse and has blade tip speed of over 18,000fpm that's finishing mower speed where the hd-72 is 14,200fpm
Welcome to the forum. But FYI, you are replying to a thread that is over 10 years old;)