Comparison JD 3320 vs 4105

/ JD 3320 vs 4105 #31  
Buzzard,

About the fancy vs. primitive tractors,most of us who have been using tractors for a long time have or have had both types. My older Deere 820 (forty years old) is 31 pto hp and 4000 lbs without ballasting. The 4520 open station is 50 pto hp and about 3700+ lbs without ballasting. Both are useful tractors and both have enough power for lots of uses but if I need to get something done it is easier and quicker to get on the fancy tractor as you would call it. Most of the tractor features you consider to be fancy are things that make a real improvement while using the tractor.

My 820 pictured below will do everything now that it would ever do and is in as good condition as new but for most things a new 3320 or 3520 will work circles around it. You should consider that an older simple tractor can be had for alot less money than buying a new simple tractor and I doubt you will wear either one out. The 820 pictured is worth around $6000 or so I would not go buy a similar new tractor regardless of 4x4 and hydro for five times as much. I bought the new 4520 because those fancy features help me do a better job with more precision.

/ JD 3320 vs 4105 #32  
Also, ground clearance on 3320 is only 11" where the 4105 is 14.7". In addition the eHydros have all that wiring and electronic controllers underneath. According to 4 dealers and Bout 6 mechanics, they do get torn out disabling the tractor. Can't be fixed yourself, something about wires are real thin and if they get pinched it will short tractor and need a computer to get it back up and running.

Half of the time this tractor will be in the woods. Maybe both will do but ground clearance is about 30% higher on 4105. That seems big to me for my purposes.

I don't know Buzzard but I know the woods can do a job on a tractor probably more than any other environment. My JD spends 80% of its time skidding logs for firewood. I bought it a long time ago but if I were to do it again , I'd buy the same type of tractor where the key word is "simple" Yes its geared but I never saw that as a hindrance as some do here. There is nothing underneath my tractor to get "torn out". No computers, just a tough tractor that has always gotten the job done. I like old fashioned build and toughness rather than convenience but that's me. I'd be looking at the 4005 if non foldable rops was not a problem. You can bring this thing anywhere and not worry. If you are bent on getting a "modern day" tractor, do not be squeamish about turbos or plastic fenders. Both will last. It is a much more important issue as to how and where you would use your tractor and how that tractor "fits" into your environment and use.

/ JD 3320 vs 4105 #33  
Take a look at the specs I have attached. I highlighted some of the areas. Look at engine RPM, torque, rear lift capacity and overall weight, etc. The 3520 and 4105 essentially are the same machine - albeit with standard HST vs eHydro and larger tires running at higher RPM.

The 4105 is built off the basic 3x20 Series frame and axles. The additional ground clearance is from the larger tires but it also limits rear axle capacity. My personal opinion with a backhoe would be the 3320 / 375, a 4x20 Series with 485 or 5E Series (if you can deal without Hydro trans) with the 485. I personally would not use the 485 on the 3x20 Series.

The 4105 does not have a metal hood or fenders. If you put a 3x20 Series and 4105 next to each other, especially looking from the back you can see that they are basically the same machine with less features.

I hope this was some help.

BTW it really stinks that you cant attach .xls spreadsheets...

Attachments

• 3320 v 3520 v 4105.pdf
    713.1 KB · Views: 237
   / JD 3320 vs 4105
I really appreciate everyone taking time. I finally found a 4105 and drove it, liked it. Seemed like more power for less $. You now can get scv on it just not a mid ptO. I just want to make sure it's a good tractor. Dealers call it an economy tractor so they steer people to the 3320 etc. I just want it to be ECONOMY because of less features, not ECONOMY because it is made cheap. I guess that's my main point.

Is it a good solid reliable tractor??

/ JD 3320 vs 4105 #35  
I really appreciate everyone taking time. I finally found a 4105 and drove it, liked it. Seemed like more power for less $. You now can get scv on it just not a mid ptO. I just want to make sure it's a good tractor. Dealers call it an economy tractor so they steer people to the 3320 etc. I just want it to be ECONOMY because of less features, not ECONOMY because it is made cheap. I guess that's my main point.

Are you duplicating replys on two threads?

/ JD 3320 vs 4105 #36  

Well one of the "economy" aspects is no PTO. Another is 2 range Hydro and not eHydro. One thing the 4105 is giving you more HP and less bells. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the tractor or that it cannot be reliable.

Look at a Ford F-150 then go look at the Lincoln version. Is the F-150 less reliable because it costs less and less gadgets? Probably the other way around. More gadgets = more to go wrong.

Now, not saying someone can't tear the wiring off the bottom of a 3x20 in the woods, but since I've been on here I don't recall anyone posting that as an actual problem.

/ JD 3320 vs 4105 #37  
The 4105 is a good solid tractor and you should get years of work out of it. Just make sure that purchasing the backhoe makes sense. I have seen a number of guys buy a backhoe, use it a couple of times when it is new and then it sits in the barn/garage for months or years before it is used again. It is a $6k to $8k investment, so just make sure the reason are compelling enough to own one. If you happen to find that the reasons are not in the end, you might want to consider taking the money for the backhoe and investing it in a 4120 with the 400X loader and the Power Reverser transmission if you have concerns about the eHydro transmission. Some of the guys that have the backhoes (but not all) wish they invested in a larger tractor than purchasing the backhoe. You know best the work you need to do, so whatever decision you make will be the right one for you. Good luck with your decision and purchase! Either way you will have fun with your new tractor.

/ JD 3320 vs 4105
Thank you. On backhoe you are not the first to say that. I just know for me I used my old ford w wood 750 as much as the FEL. If I was forced to give one of them up it would have been a touch decision. I will be digging out small stumps for as long as I burn firewood and add pasture. It just seems to make sense for me. I get the argument to save projects and rent a mini which will be way easier and faster. With my work schedule and the weather it is very difficult to plan ahead and rent one. Do not have a trailer so would have to pay delivery and PU. With the free financing and how easy it attaches and comes off I like to have it when I feel like I need it. Appreciate the input. At under $200 a month for for years free money I feel it made sense. Thumb would great but I don't think it's offered from JD, maybe aftermarket? Did not add front hydraulics bc I have no immediate need, can always do it when needed. Had to draw line somewhere. Would eventually been talked into a tractor for the same price I could put a construction company on retainer to all my projects as needed while I sat around and drank beer watching. Minus the beer what fun would that be?

/ JD 3320 vs 4105
Thank you for all the help. I appreciated and weighted ALL the advise at length. This morning I ordered a JD 4105 with 300cx loader, HD 72" bucket, 375 backhoe, R4 tires, shields for backhoe stabilizers pistons, vertical exhaust, and got a used set of JD forks for $32,275 plus tax. I think that's a decent price. Gave August 8 ( on or before ) to ship.

What did it for me was more HP for cheaper and 30% more ground clearance which was important for me.

With the free financing I also ordered a Frontier 6' rotary mower for $2,400. I'm debating stepping up to the JD MX6 for $1,400 more ($30 or so more month). I only have a field 3-4 acre to mow but who knows about future. JD is way heavier.

Thanks again

/ JD 3320 vs 4105 #40  
Thank you for all the help. I appreciated and weighted ALL the advise at length. This morning I ordered a JD 4105 with 300cx loader, HD 72" bucket, 375 backhoe, R4 tires, shields for backhoe stabilizers pistons, vertical exhaust, and got a used set of JD forks for $32,275 plus tax. I think that's a decent price. Gave August 8 ( on or before ) to ship.

What did it for me was more HP for cheaper and 30% more ground clearance which was important for me.

With the free financing I also ordered a Frontier 6' rotary mower for $2,400. I'm debating stepping up to the JD MX6 for $1,400 more ($30 or so more month). I only have a field 3-4 acre to mow but who knows about future. JD is way heavier.

Thanks again

Congratulations on your decision. One thing I would add, is to have the dealer install the front third-function hydraulics, somebody else mentioned this earlier as "hydraulic top link". With the skidsteer QA you can drop the bucket and mount a grapple. If you plan on spending time in the woods, messing with stumps and brush, that will save you untold hours. Digging out stuff is one thing, getting it moved to where you want it is another and buckets suck at that task.

Have fun!