Comparison JD 3320 vs 4105

/ JD 3320 vs 4105 #1  

BuzzardA91

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4105. 375 Backhoe. 2005 Polaris Ranger
:confused2:

With the help of my last post ( lot great advise ), I have decided between the JD 3320 and 4105. I thought I was set on a 4105 ( more hp why not) but spoke with another mechanic who stated the 3320 has a much heavier frame then the 4105. Because of this the 3320 can take the 485 backhoe and the 4105 can only handle the 375 backhoe because of the stress on the frame. This got me doing a closer comparison. I originally dismissed the 3320 because I did not want the eHhdro in fear of tearing out wires underneath. I drove them both today and eHydro way nicer. The pedals take a lot of force under load to hold down with the Hydro. EHydro was effortless and less " jerky" when stopping in going back and forth. They are both about the same price. Same tranny from what I understand just controlled differently.

It comes down to the 4105 has metal hood and fenders and 12" wider width with same length and larger tires. But, it's only 90 pounds heavier, maybe there is something to that frame strength thing. The 3320 has same loader but can lift 200 more pounds but has less breakout force?.. The 485 backhoe is much larger and stronger then the 375.

Also the 3320 is a 120 inch engine and the 4105 is a 90 " with a turbo, I don't know if I like that. Turbo seems like more potential problems to me? Going from the 3320 to the 3520 brings 5 more hp but that tractor is also a turbo with the 90" engine. ($2,200 difference in price)

The mechanic also said the 3320 has less hp but will outperform the 4105 because of the powerband. But added PTO horsepower will suffer on 3320 vs 4105 (4-5 hp)

I would like to decide by Friday because all incentives change at end of month. Seems to me 3320 is winning out?

What do you all thing? Help......

Somebody else must have already gone through this?

/ JD 3320 vs 4105 #2  
I always prefer a feature tractor (3320) over a economy (4105). I think the 3320 is a much nicer tractor overall, with plenty of power to boot. And yes, the 485 is much better than the 375.

I think it would make sense to price out a 3520 as well. Same frame and size, just a little more power. I think it's the 'sweet spot' in the 3x20's for price in terms of power.

/ JD 3320 vs 4105
About $2,200 more for 3520 but it has a smaller engine and a turbo. Not sure about that.

/ JD 3320 vs 4105 #4  
I have the 3320's predecessor. The 4310. The only time I wished I had more hp is when mowing. Usually early in the season when the grass is thick. So, I just slow down. I'm using a 72" finish mower. Usually I mow in b range 3/4 of the speed. When it's thick, half. Never a problem with the loader or backhoe as far as power goes.

/ JD 3320 vs 4105 #5  
About $2,200 more for 3520 but it has a smaller engine and a turbo. Not sure about that.

Don't be worried about a turbo. Some make bigger deals out of it than they are. As long as you give a turbo a little more time to warm up and cool down, they will last as long as a standard engine. $2,200 seems steep though, would expect it to be quite a bit less than that.

/ JD 3320 vs 4105
Thank you. I'm getting the heavy duty bucket, what size, 72"? Also considering ordering the Skid Steer QA option.

/ JD 3320 vs 4105 #7  
Thank you. I'm getting the heavy duty bucket, what size, 72"? Also considering ordering the Skid Steer QA option.

You want the 60". The 60" just covers the tracks and will deliver more power. The extra 12" will just hang off and you loose a lot of breakout force and digging ability.

I highly recommend the SSQA option, really opens the door for 3rd party accessories. Most will offer SSQA so there will be a lot less modification required, if any.

/ JD 3320 vs 4105 #8  
My vote is on the 3320. Advantages:
485 backhoe
better loader capacity
smoother forward/reverse transitions
much more comfortable (nicer seat, 3 range tranny, dual brake pedals, tilt steering wheel, separate pedal for differential lock)
Foldable ROPS (can be useful in low clearance areas)

You will defiantly appreciate these features in the future, trust me, I have experience on both 3x20 and 3E tractors and liked the 3x20 way more than the 3E.

As far as your bucket, I would defiantly opt for the skid steer QA plate, it will make buying other attachments such as pallet forks much easier since skid steer attachments all use the same attachment system. Plus the SSQA plate Deere makes is much beefier than the pin style QA they offer standard with most compact tractors. Also I would look into either the 66" or 72" heavy duty bucket depending on how wide of a swath you want with loader work. With the SSQA you will likely get the foundry bucket (standard on the 110 TLB) which if i am right will come with the bolt on reversible cutting edge which will prevent wear to your bucket edge over time and many years tractoring. Plus I have found that the bolts on the cutting edge are great for moving trailers, just use the center bolt and pick up on the trailer hitch. The bolt will keep the trailer from sliding across the edge of the bucket and is very convenient in may instances. I use my Deere 317 skid steer to move horse trailers on occasion and love how i don't need to buy any new attachment to move trailers, all I need is my bucket. :thumbsup: Best of luck in your decision, looking forward to see which tractor you get. :thumbsup:

/ JD 3320 vs 4105
I guess JD does not offer the 72" HD SSQA bucket in this loader? Not sure why, weight? The offer it in the regular JD attach bucket, HD. Are the SSQA 72" HD buckets way heavier then JD 72" HD bucket with traditional JD hookup? I don't get that one.

Thank you for input.

/ JD 3320 vs 4105 #10  
The 3320 is a pleasure to operate and is strong as an ox. The seat, padded floor, ehydro with the 300 cx loader was why I chose it after weighing all of the options you are looking at. Ad on some bucket hooks and a hydraulic top link and it's a slam dunk.