Buying Advice new tractor and rotary cutter choice

/ new tractor and rotary cutter choice #1  

orangeboy

Tractor
Kubota M6040
Greetings,

This is my first post. I'm considering a Kubota M-6040 cab tractor to cut 40 acres of pastures. I'd like to keep the rotary cutter under $5k and was wondering if anyone had insight as to whether an 84" single blade is better than a 96" four blade? My wife will be mowing the marjority of time, so ease of use for tractor and mower is important. Any comments on the tractor selection would be welcome. I've been quoted 31,500 for a 2 WD cab & air with a few options. My land is fairly flat and I don't believe I need to spend the extra 4k for 4WD. Many thanks, Orangeboy

Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote

/ new tractor and rotary cutter choice #2  
Have you looked at a grand L Kubota like a L5740. They are hydrostatic and very user friendly. They only come in 4wd. Be sure to check prices at least 2 or 3 dealers so you know you are getting a good deal.

/ new tractor and rotary cutter choice
Roger, Great point, thanks. The L5740 was my second choice. I thought the ride of the M6040 was much smoother and I loved the greater interior cab space. I went to four dealers for prices and only two replied and their numbers were EXACTLY the same -- 31,500

/ new tractor and rotary cutter choice #4  
M6040 seems to be about 63hp PTO. It can handle up to a 15' batwing depending upon the cover being cut. There are 7' single spindle cutters swinging two blades and there are 8' dual spindle cutters swinging two pans with 4 blades. That tractor can handle either and I'd go 8' myself. If the land is reasonably tame I would consider the lower priced brands...........KK, Howse, etc. They'll still cut all you want and do it at a fraction of the cost.

Too many people today think they need a 4wd tractor to trim the hedges. No, they don't. I've plowed so much ground and moved so much dirt with 2wd tractors it would make peoples' head spin. TYM can do a similar tractor with 4wd at about the same price. Just saying. That's all. A Kubota in that range with cab/AC is worth the money.

JoeinTX,

Your insight is much appreciated. I'll look into TYM, Howse and KK on your advice. I'm happy to hear your comments about 4wd -- I have no plans on selling the tractor for many years and thus resale is not important. rgds, Orangeboy

/ new tractor and rotary cutter choice #6  
1st thing you an your wife need todo is go to the dealers an test drive the differant tractors.an unless your set on an HST tractor you could go hydro shuttle.the hydro shuttles are just as easy as the HSTs.now 2wd drive vs 4wd drive.yes you can get by with a 2wd drive unless you drive in wet muddy ground or snow covered ground a good bit in winter.now as for shedders i personally lean towards the 8ft or 10ft pulltype for what your going tobe cutting.they shouldnt bother your wife pulling them around.

Joe,
What can you tell me about TYM tractors? I checked their very limited website and was pleased to see they run Perkins/CAT engines. I haven't found another tractor that does. In your opionion does TYM make a tractor that's competitive with the M6040? I have signed any purchase deals yet........................ tks Orangeboy

Thanks very much for your thoughts. The M6040 I'm considering is hydro shuttle, not HST. It drove beautifully, simply and comfortably. thanks

Should I be considering a 12ft batwing if I'm willing to pay 9k? I see Rhino has one and it looks impressive. Any comments fellow forum folks?

/ new tractor and rotary cutter choice #10  
the M6040 has 56 hp at the PTO. Are you getting a loader? I'm of the school if you don't have a loader you don't need 4wd. If your getting a loader I would get the 4wd. I've read a post of two about TBN members that had a bit of trouble out of the Rhino 12' batwing. I don't remember specifics or if it was a major issue. Are you going to "road" you tractor/mower? If your plans don't include driving on public highways get a 10' twin spindle. If you plan on transporting it by driving public roads get a 8'. I would forget about batwing$.