Buying Advice Brain Overload on buying a tractor please help ....

/ Brain Overload on buying a tractor please help .... #1  

redlinefever

Tractor
DOA brand new CC GT2550
I have looked at new and used tractors and read forums for pros and cons and I still cannot decide ...

I need a tractor capable of handling a FEL, backhoe, brush cutter and small grapple. I have to stay with a compact or utility tractor, some of my pine rows are narrow - I think the previous owner might have had one too many brewskies when he planted them! If it is wider than my Dodge truck, it won't fit. I know I need a tractor with at least 30hp diesel and 4x4, its the options that are fogging my brain.

I don't mind buying a used unit, if I can find one that has been maintained. I can always purchase a small grapple later, so it is not a requirement at this time. New tractors seem to vary by over $10000 from here in FL to AL or GA. Not much flexibility in pricing down here in FL. I have read in forums the pros and cons of different models until I almost cross-eyed. And I have asked people at the dealers (who would rather sell a new one and talk down their used units) and still I am confused. I have found one guy at a used tractor dealer who was very informative and honest. Most salesmen around here acted like used car salesmen - women are easy prey, LOL - wrong! I would rather trust the opinion of people who have used models similar to what I need.

Some dealers say their tractors will not handle a BH, others say theirs cannot handle a small grapple but is ok with a FEL. Makes no sense. I don't care about the tranny having to be HST, I would rather shift gears all day long. When I ask about the hydraulics, that is when I get that "deer in the headlights" look from the salesman. I understand that without dual pumps and a large reservoir, the FEL or BH will operate poorly due to serious pressure fluctuations. Not all models come with dual hydraulic pumps, so which unit is the most efficient with a single pump? Aren't the pressure ratings in the mfr charts taken at idle, not under working forces, which is the true test of the system's capabilites?

Serious drainage issues on my property, so I see many french drains being dug - lol! Thus, the need for a BH and FEL. I live the heart of FL where the last tropical storm tried to drown us, even if we seriously needed the rain.

I also need a tractor that can handle a small grapple, since I will be cutting my 4 acres of pines in the next couple of years and I know what kind of mess that leaves. Those large piles of cuttings that are left behind are rattlesnake heaven - don't get much work done when I am standing on my truck tool box trying to kill the critters. Last but not least a rough cut mower to keep the pine tree rows clean.

I just don't understand why some manufacturers put a backhoe option on a tractor if it is not truly designed to carry the load and handle the forces the backhoe creates when in use. Some people have said they find cracks in the frame and many other nightmares. I have a very tight budget, so I need a reliable unit, not some chinky junk model I will have to keep welding together or continually replace parts that break easily.
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks. :drink:

/ Brain Overload on buying a tractor please help .... #2  
a JD model 110 would fit your bill.

/ Brain Overload on buying a tractor please help ....
I thought so too, but the local dealer said no. I thought he was wrong. Thank you.

/ Brain Overload on buying a tractor please help .... #4  
Look for a Kubota dealer....all their tractors are designed to be used with a back-hoe.With the smaller tractors a hydraulic thumb added to the bucket will save some weight on the front.You may want to look at thier larger B series or the small L series.I.E. B2620-B2920 or L3200-L3800 or L3300 SU.

/ Brain Overload on buying a tractor please help .... #5  
Yes the JD110 is a fine machine for your purposes - finding one with the Front Hyd remotes to run a grapple, a Hyd Thumb on the BH and all the goodies with medium to low hours (500-800 or less) hours for a decent price is the tough part.

You should also consider the Kubota TLB series L39-L45-L48 the B21-26 is a little small HP wise but will work hard too.

Depends on your budget - the JD110 probably mid $20 to low $30 with the options and decent shape. Same for the L series Kubota - some of the older Kubota TLB's wont have a QA bucket to accomodate a grapple tho.

Good luck in your search and I presume you are looking on CL, Machinery Trader etc for units.

/ Brain Overload on buying a tractor please help .... #6  
i any compact in the 40-50 hp range would be a good tractor for you an kubota 5100mx or a 4700 i owned an l3800 i didnt like it the fel cap was to small now i own a kubota 7040su fel 4x4 loaded rears cast centers 2 rear ports the thing can pick the back of my 3500hd truck off the ground 8 inches at idle

/ Brain Overload on buying a tractor please help .... #7  
What's your budget? I'm biased towards the 110, but if you can afford new, I'd definitely advise any of the Kubota TLB series depending on your work load. I sat on the market for a while and finally found a really good deal on a low hour 110, but it's a waiting game. An M59 is a sweet machine though;)

/ Brain Overload on buying a tractor please help .... #8  
What's your budget? I'm biased towards the 110, but if you can afford new, I'd definitely advise any of the Kubota TLB series depending on your work load. I sat on the market for a while and finally found a really good deal on a low hour 110, but it's a waiting game. An M59 is a sweet machine though;)

Hey Martian hows the new welder been. You getting the hang of it?

/ Brain Overload on buying a tractor please help .... #9  
a grapel addes "extra weight" over a general duty heavy duty bucket on the front. as a result the extra weight. reduces total weight the FEL can lift. on smaller machines. this extra weight can be trouble. when grapels and buckets get sized to large.

backhoes. get a tractor with a swivel seat that does a 180, to operate a backhoe. there are tractors that can accept 3pt hitch backhoe. but the backhoe seat is down behind the tractor. and then there are tractors built for use with a backhoe. were the seat does the 180 degree turn. and you are ready to operate the backhoe.

double check integrated vs dedicated backhoes.
integrated backhoe = remove backhoe and you have 3pt hitch,
dedicated backhoe = backhoe never comes off, and if you do take it off, there is no 3pt hitch you can use.
you will most likely want integrated backhoe.

single pump, duel pump, for hydraulics, i honestly could care less. the cylinders that operate FEL and backhoe are all double actuating cylinders. and beyond initial hookup of FEL cylinders and backhoe cylinders and operating the cylinders for a few times to bleed air out. larger oil resievor or larger pump is not going to make a difference. the cylinders on FEL and on backhoe are sized accordingly.

if you went with third party FEL and backhoe it may be a different story, but you will be best off contacting third party manufacture for sizing things.

=================

as far as grapel or 4in1 bucket for the FEL. you will most likely want the extra "front hyd ports" either buy it now with new tractor or add it on later. if you buy it with new tractor dealer may install at little to no charge possibly. vs adding it on later.

/ Brain Overload on buying a tractor please help .... #10  
a grapel addes "extra weight" over a general duty heavy duty bucket on the front. as a result the extra weight. reduces total weight the FEL can lift. on smaller machines. this extra weight can be trouble. when grapels and buckets get sized to large.

backhoes. get a tractor with a swivel seat that does a 180, to operate a backhoe. there are tractors that can accept 3pt hitch backhoe. but the backhoe seat is down behind the tractor. and then there are tractors built for use with a backhoe. were the seat does the 180 degree turn. and you are ready to operate the backhoe.

double check integrated vs dedicated backhoes.
integrated backhoe = remove backhoe and you have 3pt hitch,
dedicated backhoe = backhoe never comes off, and if you do take it off, there is no 3pt hitch you can use.
you will most likely want integrated backhoe.

single pump, duel pump, for hydraulics, i honestly could care less. the cylinders that operate FEL and backhoe are all double actuating cylinders. and beyond initial hookup of FEL cylinders and backhoe cylinders and operating the cylinders for a few times to bleed air out. larger oil resievor or larger pump is not going to make a difference. the cylinders on FEL and on backhoe are sized accordingly.

if you went with third party FEL and backhoe it may be a different story, but you will be best off contacting third party manufacture for sizing things.

=================

as far as grapel or 4in1 bucket for the FEL. you will most likely want the extra "front hyd ports" either buy it now with new tractor or add it on later. if you buy it with new tractor dealer may install at little to no charge possibly. vs adding it on later.

Most CUT TLBs have the single seat for backhoes and do come off and have 3 point hitches.