Comparison Montana 2844 vs Mahindra max 25

/ Montana 2844 vs Mahindra max 25 #1  

gardrail

Tractor
Massey-Ferguson GC2310
After reading the forums and hearing about TYM / Montana tractors I called a dealer to find out more. The dealer has a bunch of used tractors, and he started to tell me about a Montana 2844 with FEL, BH, canopy with ~ 200 hours on it (2 years old). The person that is trying to sell it wants to let it go for 15k and she purchased it for ~ 22k new.

I'm not really buying a tractor for resale value - more for dependability and features. Like I told the dealer, I'd like to grab a tractor with ~25hp FEL and MMM minimum - it would be nice to have a backhoe, but wouldn't be a show stopper if it didn't have it. With the Mahindra Max 25 it looks like with all those features it would be about 22k (which includes the mid PTO and MMM).

Saving money is important, but I want to make sure I get something that the wife and kids can use without tearing up the gears (HST requirement)

With all those factors in mind, how is the TYM / Montana tractors with reliability, dependability, and maintenance costs compared to Mahindra?

/ Montana 2844 vs Mahindra max 25 #2  
The wife and kids need years of experience before you can be sure they wouldn't harm even the best built tractor in the world. I wouldn't rely on a brand that has such an unsavory past as Montana. It is very difficult to find someone who will be in business in a couple years to service that Montana. Keep in mind Montana has gone out of business or changed hands about 10 times in recent history. It was sold as Valtra, Tafe, Siromer, LG, LG/Montana, McCormick, Lendar, Landini, Farmtrac, Agricat, and most recently the LS. Mahindra has been making tractors built for third world countries for over half a century. The 5 year warranty on Mahindra should put your mind at ease when the wife and children are learning how to properly maintain it. A Max 22 or 25 HP with FEL and MMM is only about $15,000. Money well spent in my opinion. The 60" mower is fully fabricated so it will last a very long time and easy to drive on and off. The mid PTO driven deck will cut better than any zero turn mower out there too! You and your family should really ride a new Mahindra before you throw good money on a defunct machine.

/ Montana 2844 vs Mahindra max 25 #3  
Well kind of! I will not try and discribe the entire senario but some of it I can.
Montana no longer sells tractors that is true, but they are still in business as a warranty and parts company, but they never made the tractors for themselves or for the others listed, Montana was just a name given to a rebadged tractor. LS was and is the tractor manufacturer and they made Montana tractors and many others, LS is a spin off of LG out of South Korea they have been making tractors for many years. LS now sells tractors under their own lable in the US, and they still manufacture tractors for several other companys. Parts for the Montana tractors are still avalable through LS and many of the old Montana dealers sell the LS line now.
I am being vague here because I just don't want to get something spicific wrong, because the tractor police will read it and come back and slap me. I also am not telling you that you should or should not buy a Montana tractor, that is totally the choice of the individual. Others will chime in and give you many different oppinions, hear is mine.
I own a Montana tractor and I really like it, lots of power and it does everything I ask of it. The things I don't like is the loader doesn't lift as much as I think it should, but the loader wasn't even made by LS it was made here in the states but still it does lift a lot just a couple hundred lbs shy of a ton the only time I want to lift more is when I have the forks on. Others complain about the leg room, but I am 6'1" 250 lbs and I really don't have any problem with it. I really can't think of anything else. I have only had one problem and that is a leak on the front drive shaft, the parts are in but it can wait till the snow flies so I don't have to tie up the tractor during the summer months. Well the parts did take a while to come in so I guess that is a complaint also, I guess I'm just easy. All and all I have over two hundred hours on her and I just can't complain!

/ Montana 2844 vs Mahindra max 25 #4  
I can't say that resale is THE most important part, but must admit to being pleased with the outcome a couple months ago when I bought a new tractor.

I seriously considered Kubota, Mahindra, Kioti and Bobcat tractors. For tractors as equal as I could compare, all but the Bobcat were down to within a small amount of each other. When I was ready to arrange for delivery of the new tractor, the dealer asked what I was going to do with the old one. I told him I planned to sell it privately and then was then offered roughly $3,000 less for my B7500 than I paid 10 years ago as a trade-in.

Perhaps it could have brought more privately, but since I had to pay tax on the new one (or on the difference between the new and trade-in) getting another $1,000 privately would have only been a gain of about $500 and I didn't feel like going through the hassle or dealing with scammers.

/ Montana 2844 vs Mahindra max 25
I can't say that resale is THE most important part, but must admit to being pleased with the outcome a couple months ago when I bought a new tractor.

I seriously considered Kubota, Mahindra, Kioti and Bobcat tractors. For tractors as equal as I could compare, all but the Bobcat were down to within a small amount of each other. When I was ready to arrange for delivery of the new tractor, the dealer asked what I was going to do with the old one. I told him I planned to sell it privately and then was then offered roughly $3,000 less for my B7500 than I paid 10 years ago as a trade-in.

Perhaps it could have brought more privately, but since I had to pay tax on the new one (or on the difference between the new and trade-in) getting another $1,000 privately would have only been a gain of about $500 and I didn't feel like going through the hassle or dealing with scammers.

What tractor did ya have before - Montana/LS or Mahindra?

/ Montana 2844 vs Mahindra max 25 #6  
Still have a Ford 1210 and recently got a Kubota L3200 that I traded the Kubota B7500 on. The B7500 is the one I referred to in my previous post as getting $3,000 less than I paid for it 10 years earlier.

When I went shopping this Spring, I consdiered Kubota, Mahindra, Kioti and Bobcat tractors - but not the Montana / LS. We have a Montana at work and I'm not thrilled with it.