Buying Advice Kubota L3800 vs Mahindra 3616

/ Kubota L3800 vs Mahindra 3616 #71  
I totally agree that the numbers on the manufacturers spec sheets are conservative estimates, but some manufacturers fall short in providing accurate comparisons on some things like the loaders and 3PH (which should measured at 24" behind the lift points).

However, what gets people confused is that some manufactures' loader spec sheets only point out the pivot pins measurement and not the 500mm forward measurement which makes people think their loader is a lot more powerful than it is. It would be nice if the manufacturers followed some kind of standard which included all measurements for their loaders. Then you would have a more accurate comparison and less confusion. I just want people to realize that if you only see a pivot pin measurement for a loader and not the 500mm (19.6 inch) forward measurement, take the pivot pin measurement, reduce by 20% to 25% (23% might be the safe zone number) and that should give you the approximate 500mm forward measurement which is a truer number for the lift capacity of the loader.

I am done and beat this one to death...:)

I understand your frustration, and yes it would be "nice" if they gave more detailed specs, sometimes.

But I also kinda like the "just one spec" approach. Because (even though it is not really a real world number) if ALL manufactures ONLY listed that one spec, it would make things easy to compare. For example, JD is one of the only ones I know that give a lift spec @ 59". Due to the fact that the loader travels in an arc, and the angle of the cylinder gets more severe the higher it goes, loaders have more power down low. A max-lift to 59" is usually a few hundred pounds more than to MAX height. So by publishing that, it further complicates things. As it is now, we as customers have to do our due-diligence and make sure we are indeed comparing apples to apples. Cause manufactures will ALWAYS play with the numbers to try to make them look like the king-of-the-hill.

/ Kubota L3800 vs Mahindra 3616 #72  
Art, your idea to turn a positive (Mahindra 5-year warranty) into a negative is reminiscent of a paid political advertisement. Twisted logic that falls on it's face once considered. I know you are an experienced tractor guy, and I respect your knowledge, so let me respond politely.

Mahindra gives a 5 year parts and labor warranty and Kubota charges (as far as I know) for the extended warranty. Kubota corporate calculated the cost to cover the extended time period for defects on a Kubota and came up with a substantial cost, hence the extra charge for this optional coverage. So your implication that there is just no need for such a thing with a Kubota doesn't reason well. No doubt Kubota builds a very solid machine, but they are not above having an issue now and then. Better than most? Yep, I'll agree to that. They have built a good reputation doing just that, but I'll put that 3616 up against a L3400/3800 any day as far as quality and features.

Now concerning the cost of some of the filters, some are more than I feel they should be. Yet it is hardly uncommon for the cost of a filter for almost any tractor brand to surprise you when you compare it with automotive filters which is our baseline of thought regarding filter prices for most customers But a $30-$40 high quality HST filter that needs changed every couple of years isn't really a show stopper for most folks. What is that, a half tank of gas in the car? Kubota parts aren't cheap either, you must occasionally cringe when giving a customer a part price. You may very well have a price advantage on the filters, I really don't know as I have not compared.

I see tractors that are twenty years old, and I see them at fifty. I watch the uses of them as well as get to know the repair cycles as well as life cycles as to when people get fed up with the down time or the costs of the repairs. I've seen parts on machines that we can set the hours of use on, as well from normal wear and some that don't make it to far from tear. We work on many makes as some customers do choose to buy from out of the area or on the fringes to get a bargin or just don't have much of a need for it. We get to see many makes doing many jobs, we see some tractors that only last for three thousand hours before rebuilds. We get to see some go into five digits before having to rebuild. Yes use and care do make a difference. I don't find 30 to 40 dollar hydraulic filters expensive, 75 is expensive and as long as there is a tight contract between the manufactuer and marketer the price will probably stay in line. After the divorce or seperation see where the prices go. Then again that could be a good time to swap! I cringe every day with prices, I have sold machines that when new were only 2,500 but today they are 10,000. Used to sell 100 horsepower tractors for under 10,000 brand new, many still sell for that used today! I see some that were designed back then still selling new today only with new price. I don't put a lot of sugar and spice on things to cover, it will show up later. I've watched many things come and go, I remember when the compact tractors introduced by kubota came in to this country in the late 60's and start a whole new market that the majors raised their noses at right through the 70's trying to ignore. In the 80's everyone of them were jumping around from make to make to secure there markets with the people here. At 100 hours a year average only the commercial people really get to see what the compacts will really do day in and out.

/ Kubota L3800 vs Mahindra 3616 #74  
   / Kubota L3800 vs Mahindra 3616 #75  
Where did you see that at?? I am seeing the ML115 loader for the 3616 listed as a 60" bucket 8.6cu/ft volume (or 1/3 yd roughly). That is the same size that is on the kubota L3400/3800 series
I know a guy who has one with a 50'' bucket, the tires are wider than the bucket. I have also seen them at the dealer with a 50'' bucket. Checkout the bucket on this one. Maybe they just changed to 60'' bucket????

/ Kubota L3800 vs Mahindra 3616 #76  
Ok. I still don't have my Kubota warranty price question answered and I reckon it is a conspiracy. LOL. I think this video pretty much sums up the power of a little 25hp Mahindra Max. Y'all check it out and lets have some fun today. Mahindra Max 25 lifts the back of a forklift! - YouTube

Yea, I remember when he posted that vid in a thread awhile back.

I tell ya what would be nice, is if we had guys do that with ALL these popular models that get compared often to put things to bed once in for all.

Maybe we can talk dave into doing that test with a 3616 (and a heavier forklift ofcourse). And I am sure he gets kubotas ad deeres of similar size in on trade every once in awhile:D

And watching that video again, especially the close-up of the guage, I think that is next on my list to make one. I have a couple of short stroke 1.5" x 6" hydraulic cylinders. Couple that with a 3000 psi guage and a little basic math and I should have a 5300lb load block:thumbsup:

/ Kubota L3800 vs Mahindra 3616 #77  
I know a guy who has one with a 50'' bucket, the tires are wider than the bucket. I have also seen them at the dealer with a 50'' bucket. Checkout the bucket on this one. Maybe they just changed to 60'' bucket????

puzzling

/ Kubota L3800 vs Mahindra 3616 #79  
Here is an example of a very misleading Mahindra load test.. Sure the Mahindra is heavier, and was able to pick up the load of 2400 lbs and move it.. BUT and a VERY BIG BUT..it was barely on the ground, and I do mean barely. One more bag of sand of front, and its rear tires would have been off also.. The JD was close to the same, Maybe if I was in the seat, (fat guy) it would have looked the same.. We are talking hairs here. Note the Mahindra was in 4WD.. the other tractors were in 2wd. Note the mahindra slipped the rear tires slightly when it took off and the front axle is what propelled the tractor. Also note for you disbelivers of the need for rear ballast how badly squished the front tires were on the Mahindra.. ALL of the tractors could have picked up and moved the load if they had been properly ballasted. NONE of the tractors were properly ballasted. All of the tractors could have moved the load as is if they were in 4wd.. Note I did not say safely move the load. Like I said.. and example of misleading (to a new person) demonstration. And also an example of unsafe ballasting and load handling.

Mahindra_Lift_Video - YouTube

James K0UA

/ Kubota L3800 vs Mahindra 3616 #80  
Here is an example of a very misleading Mahindra load test.. Sure the Mahindra is heavier, and was able to pick up the load of 2400 lbs and move it.. BUT and a VERY BIG BUT..it was barely on the ground, and I do mean barely. One more bag of sand of front, and its rear tires would have been off also.. The JD was close to the same, Maybe if I was in the seat, (fat guy) it would have looked the same.. We are talking hairs here. Note the Mahindra was in 4WD.. the other tractors were in 2wd. Note the mahindra slipped the rear tires slightly when it took off and the front axle is what propelled the tractor. Also note for you disbelivers of the need for rear ballast how badly squished the front tires were on the Mahindra.. ALL of the tractors could have picked up and moved the load if they had been properly ballasted. NONE of the tractors were properly ballasted. All of the tractors could have moved the load as is if they were in 4wd.. Note I did not say safely move the load. Like I said.. and example of misleading (to a new person) demonstration. And also an example of unsafe ballasting and load handling.

Mahindra_Lift_Video - YouTube

James K0UA
Why don't they show the whole mahindra? Who would lift that much weight without a ballast?