which tractor when weight limited by tow vehicle??

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / which tractor when weight limited by tow vehicle?? #11  
Look at Kubota. But what you want to do with the size that you want to get just is not going to get the job done very easy if at all. Sort of like moving a mountain with a pick and shovel. Yes it CAN BE DONE, but it will take forever and it sure won't be any fun.

Maybe if you only need to move the equipment a few times a year, you could consider renting a truck to be able to tow larger equipment. I know that people do what seems like a lot of work with the smaller tractors, but most of those guys have a few acres, not 160. I know that my brother and I have 120 acres and I have a 3215, an earlier model similar to the 3016 that you looked at and think is to big. We use the 3215 for small jobs and clean up. I would NEVER even consider that size tractor to try and get any larger job done with it. Not that it wouldn't do it, but it would just simply take too long. You are looking at a tractor that would be about 2/3- 1/2 the weight of what I have just described and think that you are going to get these jobs done that you have in mind.

It just isn't very realistic, and all that any of us are trying to do is help you out and not have you end up spending money that would end up being poorly spent. I know that NONE of this is what you want to hear, but it is a little more realistic. But if you want to insist on working with your current limits, then I say that you should look at the Kubotas, they will have the largest selection for you to look at that will fill your requirements.

Good luck. ;)

/ which tractor when weight limited by tow vehicle?? #12  
Guys......this thread and my question are NOT about the tow vehicle :D, it's about deciding which tractors fit within the confines of the criteria listed in the first post.

I'm looking for suggestions on the tractor that best fits my needs.......I want the most tractor for my money that fits the parameters listed above......basically, weighs no more than 2250 pounds and in the 30 horsepower class.

Is that too much to ask??:laughing:

Really it is:D Subcompacts are available with fels but you have to add enough ballast to use them that I suspect you will be over the 2250 lbs. Another problem is a tractor with enough clearance to operate off pavement and smooth lawns (which is what you will need) is too heavy to meet your criteria. A properly ballasted 30hp tractor with fel and bushhog will weigh about 4000 lbs.

/ which tractor when weight limited by tow vehicle?? #13  
I think the issue you are running into here is that you have asked a simple question, but folks on TBN tend to try to give the most helpful answer they can. You asked, "What's a good tractor under 2250 lbs?" But people looked at your description and said, "You're not going to find anything in that weight range that is actually going to be good for the things you said you wanted to do with it." They weren't being smart-asses when they said, "Consider a bigger tow vehicle or renting." They were trying to avoid recommending a tractor that you're not going to be happy with. I mean, you want a list of tractors under 2250 lbs, that's easy enough.

/ which tractor when weight limited by tow vehicle??
Thanks Joshua.......I thought I had asked a simple question but I guess some folks just can't answer a simple question.

I often frequent hunting forums and the same thing happens there......a guy asks which 308 to buy to shoot a deer and a dozen guys answer telling him he needs a 7 mag or a 243 or a 50 bmg or a 22 magnum......then there will be one or two who tell him all he needs is a bow or a muzzleloader......and another who tells him there are no deer where he hunts.....and yet another who says he is wasting his time on deer when he could be hunting elk or moose or???

Truth is, *I* know more about my property than anyone on this forum.......and *I* know what I need the tractor to do.......but, apparently, some folks can't grasp that concept!! :D Being new to the board does NOT mean I'm ignorant about tractors and machinery.

Yes, I'm aware that a larger tractor &/or a larger tow vehicle would be "better"......but, as I stated in the original post, I AM limited by the size of the tow vehicle and I DO NOT want to buy a different tow vehicle and a new tractor.

I have been mowing the roads on my place with a little IH 234 and a 5' finishing mower.......2wd, 1200 pounds and 18hp.......I have even successfully planted small food plots with it......I could continue using it, but new fire breaks and larger food plots would be much easier to maintain with a larger tractor......so, I'm looking at tractors that have almost double the weight and horsepower and some people want to tell me that I can't do what I want to do with it???

I'm not starting a farming operation here!!! I'm talking 3-4 acres of food plots and brush hogging.......yes, I will use the FEL, but it is a luxury, not a necessity and I can certainly leave a ballast box at the property to use while there......I wouldn't leave a brush hog or disc, but I doubt anyone would steal a ballast box!! :D

Anyway, back to the original question.........what tractors are available in the 30 horse range, 4wd, that weighs 2250 or less??

/ which tractor when weight limited by tow vehicle?? #15  
Kubota was one of the first to make small 4wd tractors. They serve a need and fill a niche. I would just pick a model that fits your weight limit and go for it.

/ which tractor when weight limited by tow vehicle?? #16  
I use a L3800 4wd on 400 acres and most here would say it's much too small. But it works for me. :D

Really, just a slightly larger rig than you have now, but w/4wd will be a huge step up and do what you need.

/ which tractor when weight limited by tow vehicle?? #17  
I had very similar constraints: 5000 lb tow limit, 600 lb max tongue weight, 50 miles to tow.

My choice was a NH tc34da, 2500 lbs plain, 3500 lbs with FEL. Kubotas are lighter for the same HP due to their aluminum frames, so your B3300 seems like a good choice.

To accommodate towing near the limit, I got a cushioned ball mount:

Cushioned Shank Ball Mounts | etrailer.com
Cushioned Ball Mount for 2" Hitches - 3/4" Rise - 2" Drop - 10,000 lbs Convert-A-Ball Ball Mounts AMSC2

A little care and driving extra slowly while towing helps, too.

/ which tractor when weight limited by tow vehicle?? #18  
Kubota's are the lightest weight with highest HP tractors made. If you want low weight, high HP, Kubota is the tractor for you. They have several in 30+ HP that fit your weight restrictions. Look at TractorData.com for the specs on most tractors made.

/ which tractor when weight limited by tow vehicle?? #19  
Look at the Deere 2720 31hp engine, 3032E and 3038E with 30ptohp all are below your weight of 2250lbs.

/ which tractor when weight limited by tow vehicle?? #20  
You seem to know it all, why don't you tell us?

Status
Not open for further replies.