Buying Advice Help, my head is going to explode!

/ Help, my head is going to explode! #1  

B Hoofed

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M6040HD
Trying to choose between two options, both about the same price:
(1) New Kioti DK40SE open station with HST, Ag tires
(2) 2008 Kubota M6040 open station with about 400 hours, R4 tires, hydraulic shuttle

Both are 4x4.
Both have a loader with a quick attach bucket.
Both weigh about the same according to specs.

Intended use will be farm maintenance, about 10 acres in one location and 40 acres in another location 20 miles away. Mowing pastures, feeding round bales, grading farm lanes, grooming riding arena, drilling post holes, clearing brush (grapple work), spreading gravel, plowing snow.

The M6040 is more powerful, has larger tires and a larger frame, and a much larger loader bucket with a nice welded on cutting edge. The DK40SE is more compact and maneuverable with the Hydro trans, but has a lot less PTO horsepower and has smaller tires.

/ Help, my head is going to explode! #2  
Since this is your only tractor I would go with the M6040 since it sounds like you are trying to get a place improved and suspect you will need to perform tillage in the near future. It is easier to do the big jobs with the larger tractor such as moving the large bales in inclement weather conditions. It may be a little big to groom the riding arena but it won't take you long either.

I have a Deere 4520 60hp that would squeeze right between these two tractors and have the best of both worlds, still easy enough to transport between the properties too. Three range hydro cab large compact just right for what you are doing.

/ Help, my head is going to explode!
Since this is your only tractor I would go with the M6040 since it sounds like you are trying to get a place improved and suspect you will need to perform tillage in the near future. It is easier to do the big jobs with the larger tractor such as moving the large bales in inclement weather conditions. It may be a little big to groom the riding arena but it won't take you long either.

I have a Deere 4520 60hp that would squeeze right between these two tractors and have the best of both worlds, still easy enough to transport between the properties too. Three range hydro cab large compact just right for what you are doing.

Thanks for the insight. I'm sure pasture renovation will come up at some point.

/ Help, my head is going to explode! #4  
Kinda of a tough call without knowing your property, how much ground engagement work, grunt work, but jenkinsph makes some good points and I am inclined to agree. I regularly operate an HST Grand L and M with hydro shuttle and both are easy to operate with the HST a bit easier, but like a bit more power than you are going to get out of a Kioti DK40SE.

Honestly, Neither would be my first choice. jenkinsph and I have pretty much equivalent tractors just in different colors; both 60 HP HST 3 speed cabs.

I do agree a Grand L with HST or the equivalent Deere in the 50 to 60 HP range would be the ideal tractor, but I'm not willing to spend quite that much. I think the M6040 will give us more bang for our buck.

My biggest concern with the dk40se is being able to pull a heavy box scraper up our steep driveway, or being able to safely transport round bales up it down hill.

/ Help, my head is going to explode! #6  
I do agree a Grand L with HST or the equivalent Deere in the 50 to 60 HP range would be the ideal tractor, but I'm not willing to spend quite that much. I think the M6040 will give us more bang for our buck.

My biggest concern with the dk40se is being able to pull a heavy box scraper up our steep driveway, or being able to safely transport round bales up it down hill.

Trust me, I know the feeling, I drove old, well used tractors most of my life and can only now afford what we have. I think you are right about the bang for your buck and need for the added weight and power of the 6040; I really like the M Series and that's not many hours.

/ Help, my head is going to explode! #7  

If your willing to look used at a larger model, why not look used in the 60HP CUT range? I'm with the trend that it would be best for you.

Found this one, it's the older model 4720, so 60HP and only $19,900:
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7003749&

Here's where I was looking:
http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/li...&DisplayExtraTHOSpecs=1&SO=2&btnSearch=Search

/ Help, my head is going to explode! #8  

If your willing to look used at a larger model, why not look used in the 60HP CUT range? I'm with the trend that it would be best for you.

Found this one, it's the older model 4720, so 60HP and only $19,900:
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7003749&

Here's where I was looking:
http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/li...&DisplayExtraTHOSpecs=1&SO=2&btnSearch=Search

/ Help, my head is going to explode! #9  
Speaking as someone who owns a DK40SE and is very happy with it, I'd still go with the 6040. The DK is incredibly capable for a 40-horse tractor, but it's still a 40-horse tractor. No match for the 'bota.

That said, I move round bales all the time with mine, with my "redneck clamshell" (chain looped to my bucket hooks and hooked over the bale). Even with the bale way out front of my bucket, I can move fairly heavy bales (1200 lbs, approx) quite easily. I also don't see the DK having any trouble with the box blade. It's a brute, considering its hp rating and footprint.

But again, it's no 6040.

This is why I feel like my head is going to explode. There are many great options. I think I will be happy with whatever I end up getting, since we currently have no tractor. I'm getting ready to go see the M6040.