Comparison weight for loader work versus mowing yard damage

/ weight for loader work versus mowing yard damage
Thank you guys for all your input, I knew I could count on you. I already have a "dedicated" mowing machine, a 30+ year old PowerKing with a 4' belly mower. Except for the R1's, a great mower, but only that. It's getting to the point where I spend about an hour patching it up for every 4-5 hours I mow. It (and the other PowerKing I have) would make great restoration projects, if I had the time. I really want something new, something that hopefully will cover both functions well, mowing & occasional loader work.

A 6' deck may be too much for my yard. I have about 5 dozen trees in about 4 acres, 6' deck + side chute wouldn't fit through a couple of spots.

Thanks especially for the mention of the BX family, it's really got me thinking. For what looks like similar money, with the Bx22 I would get a 5' deck, an adequate loader and a backhoe to boot. Early on, I had dismissed it as being too small, now I'm not so sure. Hmm, decisions, decisions... guess I've got some more phone calls and dealer visits to do before the end of the month (this is really fun, but my wife thinks I'm obsessing)

I have another thought if any of the factory guys are listening. I buy alot of computer stuff; motherboards, components of all types. I have always been able to download a copy of the owner's manual and other technical stuff for whatever I'm looking for from the manufacturer's webpage. To be able to do this with tractors and implements sure would make some of this digging around easier, and make for more knowledgable calls to the dealerships, saving those busy salesguys time as well. To me, this would represent a real plus in the customer service arena. (Just my 2 cents worth.)

/ weight for loader work versus mowing yard damage #12  
Yeah, I think a BX22/2200 would be a good choice /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. They are great little tractors and very impressive lawnmowers. There are machines that mow as well or better but NONE of them can shred the ground with a boxblade or make quick work of a dump truck load of gravel or dirt like these subcompacts can. I assume the same can be said for the JD2210 etc. J

/ weight for loader work versus mowing yard damage #13  
<font color="blue"> With 4 acres of finish mowing to do (as stated in his bio, not in the original post), do you think he might like the wide deck he would get with whaver color tractor he chooses rather than a small garden tractor (if he can find some turf-friendly tires)? </font>
Four acres is a lot of mowing!

Another foot on the mower (60" vs 48") would reduce seat time for sure! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ weight for loader work versus mowing yard damage #14  
UncleAl,

<font color="blue"> Four acres is a lot of mowing! </font> Amen!

<font color="blue"> Another foot on the mower (60" vs 48") would reduce seat time for sure! </font> I subscribe to the "All seat time is good, but some is better than others" philosophy. Is sounds like maybe Mike does too.

Sometimes when I park my tractor, I wish there was more daylight, more time, or more to do. Sometimes, I'm glad to get out of the seat. Most of the time when I'm glad to get out of the seat, it's after mowing.

Mowing around trees is definitely the most tedious part of the job. If I had <font color="blue"> 5 dozen trees in about 4 acres,</font> and a <font color="blue"> 6' deck + side chute wouldn't fit through a couple of spots</font>, I would make a "landscaping adjustment" with a chainsaw so a 6' deck would fit. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Believe me, with 5 dozen trees in 4 acres you'll get used to a couple fewer trees. Either that, or get a push mower for the tight spots and go with a good sized deck for the rest. Another consideration with so many trees is turning radius. To be able to mow around a tree in one pass is something you will appreciate. It's just a thought.

OkieG

/ weight for loader work versus mowing yard damage #15  
<font color="blue">Is sounds like maybe Mike does too. </font>
Yep, mowing is a chore. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

<font color="blue">I would make a "landscaping adjustment" with a chainsaw so a 6' deck would fit. </font>
We think alike! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

With that many trees to mow around, I would seriously consider a ZTR. Even with a mmm and SuperSteer, that many trees would be a major pain. It's be cheaper to use a chainsaw!

OkieG,
Points well taken. CFO would balk at removing trees, she's always looking for more! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also to consider, my land is not very smooth, lots of dips and bumpy spots. I'm concerned that a wider deck would be more prone to scalp. Even the 4' MMM does in spots. Big part of the reason I want something that will move dirt as well as mow, to make yard more mower friendly, in addition to other projects. I considered ZTR's, not enough utility, and I'm only allowed one purchase by CFO.

What about time to mow? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif The old PK is good for about an acre an hour. (in middle gear, because high gear beats you to death and bogs down too easy) What could I expect with 5' and more power?

UncleAl

/ weight for loader work versus mowing yard damage #17  
UncleAl,

<font color="blue"> I considered ZTR's, not enough utility, and I'm only allowed one purchase by CFO. </font>

If you "Round-up" for a foot or two around each tree base it will do at least three things for you:
1 It will make the SuperSteer Mike talked about a feasible option for a single pass around a tree.
2. It will provide a margin of safety for the tree trunk from damage by the mower deck.
3. The weed eater will spend more time resting in the garage.

Maybe it's just me, but with all those advantages, the small bare spot at the base of each tree really doesn't look so bad. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Also, as your loader begins filling in the low spots, a wider deck might be appreciated more than the scalped spots you suffer in the meantime. Once again, just a thought.

OkieG

/ weight for loader work versus mowing yard damage #18  
Re: weight for loader work versus mowing yard dama

Just don't get the roundup on the tree bark or exposed roots javascript:void(0)
/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ weight for loader work versus mowing yard damage #19  
Re: weight for loader work versus mowing yard dama

Interesting. Have you tryed moving snow w/ the turf tires yet? jimg

OkieG,
I looked at supersteer. I like the idea, but it's only available on class 2 boomers & up. Getting back into the weight thing again...
I have done the roundup thing before. Where I live, if you are diligent in keeping up with this, the grass gets replaced by a nice ring of moss which keeps the grass at bay. The moss stays green yearround and never gets tall enough to require mowing.
At present, I only weedeat a couple of times each year, relying on my mower to keep it fairly close to the trees. We occasionally trim with a push mower. Takes about 3 hrs to make the push mower or weedeater rounds on 4 acres (achers! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)