Comparison weight for loader work versus mowing yard damage

/ weight for loader work versus mowing yard damage
OkieG, I just noticed in your bio that you're an anesthesiologist. I got something you may enjoy. I recently heard of a new drug coming out in the Fentanyl family to join Sufenta, Alfenta, etc. It's going to be a "designer" drug, Oscar de la Fenta . (Sorry for the corn! I am a hospital pharmacist, BTW.)

UncleAl

/ weight for loader work versus mowing yard damage #22  
Re: weight for loader work versus mowing yard dama

<font color="blue">Interesting. Have you tryed moving snow w/ the turf tires yet? </font>

Nope. Got them in april. Also, don't have to. Price was so good on the turfs that I kept the R4's for the wintertime (already had chains for them).

/ weight for loader work versus mowing yard damage #23  
i would go with the samller tractor with UNLOADED R4's any tire will pretty much rip up a wet lawn. as wet as it has been here even my walk behind trim mower leaves marks /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

/ weight for loader work versus mowing yard damage #24  

April huh...I still had feet of snow then...the coast must be much warmer than inland a bit.

So you run chains w/ your R4s? Do you push or blow the snow?
jimg

/ weight for loader work versus mowing yard damage #25  
I might have missed something, but, has anybody thought about what kind of loader work are we going to do? That would seem to me to make the difference here. What kind of weight, how far travel when loaded?? I have a 48" bucket on my FEL and it seems to do fine with the ballast box. No loaded tires, but, I didn't want turf tires either. I have not had a problem with the turf.
My tire distributor said if it gets to be a problem you can use a tire groover and take off the edges of the bars.
As far as the gravel being spread, It took me just about an hour to level and spread 20 tons the other day, sure was fun, I mean work!
I cut 4 acres Saturday up north in less than two hours, several out buildings, 28 trees. Terrain somewhat rolling, nothing too awful bad.
Just my .02

/ weight for loader work versus mowing yard damage #26  
I forgot one thing, there is a whole thread on the plastic vs steel issue. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ weight for loader work versus mowing yard damage #27  

<font color="blue"> the coast must be much warmer than inland a bit. </font>

yup - we got tons of snow this winter (8-9ft), but we tend to warm up faster in the spring near the coast. I am pushing the snow with a rear blade & the FEL. I've started to piece together a front blade for the tractor w/ hydraulic angle.

Hambone, thanks for "weighing in." Sounds like your 62" MMM rig will cover mowing about 2X faster than I presently can.
Just for starters for loader: <ul type="square"> [*] As mentioned, I will be using loader to level out the yard some, maybe get a box blade as well. I have a dirt pile left over from building my shop that I can spread out, will get more hauled in as needed. [*] We have an old 3' tall cinder block retaining wall, cracked, leaning pretty bad. I'm going to pull it down and reshape the bank, probably replace the wall with something else, using the loader to move the junk off and move new materials in. [*] I have a stand of bamboo that is taking over one corner of the yard. I've been hacking at it for years. The roots only go about 6" deep. The loader + tooth bar should make short work of this pest. [*] The area around our garden is in need of reshaping, needs loader attention. [*] Our driveway (gravel) is 400' long. I promised several years ago to get it paved, will use loader after the paving guys finish. [*] I have other projects in mind, but don't want to get too long-winded. [/list]

UncleAl

/ weight for loader work versus mowing yard damage #29  
R4 tires are a scam and abomination. If most of your work is pulling and dirt engaging with rear implements in dry soil, get R1's. If the foregoing in wet soil, R1W's. If mostly mowing, definitely R3's. If you are doing lots of continuous and heavy loader and backhoe work in rubble-strewn construction sites or rock quarries, then and only then get R4's.

With a ground contact mower, whether MMM or RMM, the weight of the mower will be supported by the mower's wheels, not by the tractor's wheels. Hence you don't need to add the weight of the mower to the weight of the tractor.

90% mowing on 6.7 acres, four finish mowing. The answer is lighter tractor with R3's and no fill. More specifically, the Kubota B7800.

Now you can torture yourself over the question of whether to get a MMM or RMM.

glennmac,
I agree that the weight of the mower is borne by the mower's wheels, concede that the tractor + mower weight is not valid. Truly, the tractor weight is the significant question. Throwing around extra weight = more turf turmoil. I think you're right about my needing a lighter tractor. MMM vs RFM, I've used MMM all my life and I feel it's better because of all my trees (present and future) and the need to break in my 14 year old son to "the joys of mowing." Feel that it would be easier on him and my other younger (future mower) kids to go MMM. Is an R1W the same as the "Galaxy" tire I see in the brochures?

Just curious: I noticed in your bio </font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hours: 350 on B2910; 35 on former BX2200 )</font>. My guess is the BX didn't work out for your needs and you moved up to B2910. Comments please? (I checked out / priced a BX22 today, not bad looking except lack of cruise control will make for tired right leg/foot.) Thanks for your input.

UncleAl