john deere 2640 1978

/ john deere 2640 1978 #1  

Fishincoach

Tractor
John Deer 850
What would be a fair price for a John Deere 2640 with a 146 front loader 1978 new paint job? Everything seems to work except the left brake and the key does not activate the starter every time, you have to turn the key several times for the starter to engage.

/ john deere 2640 1978 #2  
The starter issue should be an easy fix, the brake may be a different story. Really not much information to go on to determine the value of the tractor, you can compare it on Machinefinder.com to any listed there or Tractorhouse.com. Painting adds a little value if the machine was in good condition first and the paint job was done right. Lots of variables to consider such as tires, transmission options wear and tear.

/ john deere 2640 1978
Any idea on the cost to fix the brake? The pedal goes all the way to the floor when depressed. I am concerned that the brake is tied in with the hydraulic system and there are parts from the brake stopping up other areas on the tractor. The front loader and the rear lift seemed slow to move to me.

/ john deere 2640 1978 #4  
Your brake problem may be as simple as bleeding that side. Or as complicated as brake lining needing to be replaced (axle housing will need to be pulled). Or it could be the brake valve (master cylinder) needs to be rebuilt. If the trans had water in it that could have caused the brake lining to fail and plugged the filter and trans screen. I would check both of these.
A PRO paint job might add value, but a rattle can paint job will be viewed as cover up. I've seen tractors that looked great at 100' but up close you could tell it was just a quicky rattle can paint job. I would prefer honest wear to a rattle can quicky paint job.