Help with decision..

/ Help with decision.. #1  

Typhoon

Gold Member
Tractor
LS MT357HC
Hello! This is my first post here. Im very impressed with this site, there is a ton of information here. Anyways, on to my question. I just purchased 48 acres. 20 of it is woods, and most of the other 28 is going to be farmed (alfalfa). I will not be the one farming it. However, my wife and I are going to build a home there next year, and there will be alot of upkeep on the property.. i.e. mowing around 2 fairly large ponds, mowing up and down the 1/4 mile driveway, mowing a 3 acre lawn, dragging logs from the woods, etc. By doing some research, I have chosen a brand of tractor that I want, but I am not yet sure what I can get for what im wanting to spend. I am sure I want a New Holland, and from what I know, I think I need something in the 25-35hp range. I also want hydro and diesel, as well as 4x4. I am wanting to spend about 12k all said and done. What models am I looking at here? Probably no way I can get into a TC33D for that right? Also I dont need a loader, just a finishing mower. Thanks!
-Brad

/ Help with decision.. #2  
Looks like you've been doing your homework. I agree with your decision to go blue. (You'll know why when you look at my sig /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

In the price range and configuration you quoted you can probably get into a TC30HST without a loader. For a couple thou more you can get the TC33D.

PM me and I'll give you the prices I got for both units with and without FEL

/ Help with decision.. #3  
Brad,

Welcome to TBN. If you got some time fill out your profile so we know abouts where your from. Big reason is pricing changes so much from area to area. As far as getting a TC33D for 12k you will be pushing it some. The best price I have seen here for the TC33D is around 15K. You might get yourself closer with the TC30 and Hydro option. Otherwise you might look around some and see if you could get a 33 used. Sounds to me like you do have some time since you won't be building until next year.

murph

/ Help with decision.. #4  
Based on your criteria, I think you're looking at a TC30. I just wouldn't be so quick to rule out the FEL. I always knew I wanted one, but still never realized how many uses I would have put it to.
Pacesetter

/ Help with decision.. #5  
Typhoon,
I've read it several times here before but you really should get the front end loader. You will not believe the things you will be able to use if for. Having a loader is like having a crew of workers. It greatly increases your output while decreasing your personal effort. Your wife will love it too. Otherwise the tractor will just be your fancy mower.

Sorry I don't mean to tell anyone what to do it's just that my wife and I have used and enjoyed the loader so much I can't imagine not having one on that large of property.

Eric

/ Help with decision.. #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I dont need a loader )</font>

You certainly know your needs better than I do, but sorta like the other guys have said, I'd sure bet money that you'll change your mind before you've had a tractor very long (and I usually won't gamble on anything but a sure thing). /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Help with decision.. #7  
<font color="orange">( Also I dont need a loader )</font>

Yes you do, and a brush hog, and forks, and a post hole digger, and a cultivator, and a box blade, and etc., etc. You just don't know it yet.
laugh.gif

Seriously, as others have said, the FEL is so handy you will almost certainly end up getting one sooner or later. Sooner is much better than later with FELs as they are cheaper as tractor/loader packages.

You'll also want a box blade right away. They are extremely useful, plus it helps to balance that FEL too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SnowRidge

/ Help with decision.. #8  
The tractor suggestions all sound reasonable, but pay particular attention to the posters advising upfront purchase of FEl. I did not and now have FEL envy. My wife turns an unpleasant shade of purple when I speak of FEL now. You may want to consider (before it happens) how much money it will cost to have both shoulders rotators repaired before you do not get FEL. DAMHIK

/ Help with decision.. #9  
Brad,

I agree with others around here,,,,, get a loader!!

I wouldn't even consider getting a new tractor without a loader. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RedDog <font color="orange"> Kioti DK65 </font>

/ Help with decision.. #10  
I agree with the posters suggesting you consider a FEL now. You'll be amazed at the things you can use one for once you have it. It's ultimately your decision but you should take a hard look at it as you can get a much better deal now than later.