JD4320 vs. Kubota L5240 -- question about lift capacity

/ JD4320 vs. Kubota L5240 -- question about lift capacity #1  

Gulogulo

Tractor
JD 5083E
Hey friends,
I'm looking at getting either a John Deere 4320 with a 400CX loader (48 hp) or a Kubota L5240 w/ LA854 QA 72" loader (54 hp). I'm leaning toward the Deere because of ease in removing the loader/bucket, and because I prefer its controls and the way it drives. Also, the Deere guys will come out to the farm if there's ever a problem I can't fix. Prices are comparable.
Here's my question: The stated lift capacity for the Deere is 2194 lbs; for the Kubota, 2489 lbs. The Kubota dealer says all lift capacities are unrealistic and the L5240 can only lift about 1800 lbs, including the bucket. The Deere dealer says Deere's stated lift capacities are more accurate.
I'd like to be able to lift and move around a 1-ton silage bale: Kubota dealer says no way, even though it's a bigger tractor; Deere dealer says no problem.
What do you all think? Is the Deere dealer on the level?
Also, any other thoughts on advantages/disadvantages of either tractor would be much, much appreciated.
Thanks!

/ JD4320 vs. Kubota L5240 -- question about lift capacity #2  
Sorry I can't help on the load capacity. I don't have any experience with the 4000 Series John Deere, but have owned two grand L's and own a L5740 now which is the same tractor as the L5240. I have the SSQA attach on it which is very easy to remove/replace the bucket and accepts any SSQA attachment. The loader can be removed quite easily also, but I don't know how it compares to the John Deere.

There are difference between both tractors and I believe "advantages/disadvantages are going to be subjective; both are excellent tractors in my opinion. If you are leaning towards the Deere, there is a reason for that and probably your best bet.

/ JD4320 vs. Kubota L5240 -- question about lift capacity #3  
How you feel about the dealer is important. I haven't felt the 854 loader lacking but I've never weighed what I was lifting either. Maybe the dealer was trying to account for the load not being close to the pivot pins. If your bales do weigh 1 ton then I would make the Deere dealer come out with the tractor and lift one. If it lifts it fine then I would say they just made a sale, if it struggles then I would either move up in size. Maybe someone here can answer if a Kubota will lift a 1 ton bale.

/ JD4320 vs. Kubota L5240 -- question about lift capacity #4  
I have a 4520 with a 400cx loader. I have lifted over 2000 pounds ( verified) with it. The specs say it will lift 2400 pounds to 59 inches and I believe that. I am one who loves having a self leveling loader. I use pallet forks all the time and it really helps.

/ JD4320 vs. Kubota L5240 -- question about lift capacity #5  
Best advice is either take the tractors to the bale or the bale to the tractors and test it in real life. A lot also depends on how high you want to lift. For example, my 3320 "lifted" a skid of tile estimated 2,000 Lbs plus the weight of the pallet forks - but only about 3/4" - just enough to off load from my pickup bed. Once on the ground, again it would "lift" about 1" - 1 1/2" - just enough to transport from one spot to another. I assume you want more lift than that, but a lift and transport will be a lot different than trying to pile several high.

Ask for real life proof.

/ JD4320 vs. Kubota L5240 -- question about lift capacity #6  
ive got the LA844 quicktatch loader on my MX5100 HST an i can lift pretty muchly 2000lb with weight on the rear.but thats just me.i wont lift that much weight very high.

/ JD4320 vs. Kubota L5240 -- question about lift capacity #7  
My DK40 can lift a whopping 2700lbs.

/ JD4320 vs. Kubota L5240 -- question about lift capacity #8  
My DK40 can lift a whopping 2700lbs.

Oh boy!!!!

The problem with a 2,000 lb round bale is that it is four foot away from the loader! If the bale does weigh 1,800lbs I think you would be safe but it also depends on your ability. I was on a demo with wood pellets and the deere and the Kubota was one bag different from being on the outer end of the pallet to being near the loader in the kuboatas favor. There was no hydraulic pressure checks done that I know of on ours or theres.

/ JD4320 vs. Kubota L5240 -- question about lift capacity
Thanks, everyone -- this is great stuff.
-- Nathaniel

/ JD4320 vs. Kubota L5240 -- question about lift capacity #10  
I have a L5740 with la844 loader and I lift large round bales up and over the the feeder rails all the time. Have never weighed a bail but 5x6 tight bales are heavy. would be really suprised if the Deere Dealer makes farm calls to repair the tracotor most likely they will pick it up and transport back to the dealer ship...for a charge.

either tractor will do ya....