Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence!

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #91  
When the US went to unleaded gas did they add 3000 bucks to the car price?

No... a modest new car didn't even cost $3000 back then... Neighbor bought a new Ford Maverick with a cat for $2400 out the door.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #93  
I think we hijacked Neil Messick's post. I wish I was in the market for a new tractor, now is the time to get off the fence if you are :) That's a fair heads-up.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #94  
I think we hijacked Neil Messick's post. I wish I was in the market for a new tractor, now is the time to get off the fence if you are :) That's a fair heads-up.

That is one of the reasons we decided to buy this year rather than wait, we traded in a really nice L5030 HSTC for a L5740 HSTC, the L5030 was gone in less than a week; guy bought it for his wife.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #95  
Anyone who doubts the added cost of all this emission crap just needs to price out a new 500hp 4x4 tractor. Cost went up anywhere from 15-$25000. That is a lot of money that will never be recouped by the owner. All this tier 3-4 business has put a huge burden on the anyone that has to burn diesel to earn a living. It will all catch up to us and it is just one of many reasons the economy is languishing.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #96  
I purchased a New Kubota last summer L4740, last week I called for an air filter, because of my tractor being a tier III the Air Filter is $80.00, if it was an older L4740(Tier I or II) the air filter would cost $25 or $30. I'm a truck mechanic, the new trucks are arriving Tier IV, the Exhaust/Cat Converters are thousands of dollars to replace,(we have had a few damaged and had to replace them) the increased cost adding DEF will and have raised the cost and purchased price. It's easy to say"The Sky is falling", it's not falling but the clouds are getting lower.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #97  
Well I just purchased about 2 months ago a 2000 B7500 Kubota w/770 hrs. I guess a new larger tractor will not be in my future for a long time. I guess this little smoker will have to do.

My new motto. Smoke, Stink and Rattle.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #98  
Well I just purchased about 2 months ago a 2000 B7500 Kubota w/770 hrs. I guess a new larger tractor will not be in my future for a long time. I guess this little smoker will have to do.
My new motto. Smoke, Stink and Rattle.
Congrats on the B7500. We have one as well and it is a hard working machine.

Aaron X

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #99  
I am sure the Tier IV standards will bring changes. I think a lot of the information flying around at this time is highly speculative. How does someone know what maintenance will be required when manufactures have not released what they are or will be.

I think a lot of it has to do with manufacture and dealer hype to insure or make a sale of existing stock and justify price increases on new stock. I remember the same hype when automobile manufactures were switching from a carburetor to throttle body and then to multi point fuel injection. Anyone want to revert back to the days of a stumbling, jumbling poor mileage carburetor on their automobile?

I say we need to wait until some actual facts are provided by manufactures and dealers for review before we condemn Tier IV in the court of speculative opinion.

I say we also walk away from a purchase when a demand for several thousand dollars more is made for a tractor simply because a fifteen cent part was added. The day of me making myself a victim because of manufacture or dealer hype is over. Let the dealer and manufacture keep the products they are demanding exorbitant amounts for because an engineering change was made to an existing product. Remember, the diesel engine has existed for hundreds of years, so it was not re-invented just something added to clean up the exhaust.

I think after a few months of the manufactures and the dealers enjoying the yard decorations prices will reach realistic levels.

/ Tier 4 is comming... now is the time to get off the fence! #100  
I love fuel injection on gasoline vehicles. I think if it were not for smog reduction and EPA requirements, we'd still be driving vehicles using carburetors and inefficient fuel/air mixtures. When fuel injection started appearing on cars, it was accompanied with a large price increase. However, in the long run, I think fuel injection has been great for fuel economy and reliability. Between fuel injection and high energy ignitions, the tune-up mileage for most cars is every 100k mi. instead of every 15k miles. I DO NOT miss the days of changing points, plugs, and doing carburetor adjustments or fixing stuck floats that dumped raw fuel onto the top of a hot engine. I will lead the cheers for electronic fuel injection, electronic ignition, and performance control computers. When you could buy 4 gallons of gas for $1, it was fine to push those big block fuel guzzlers up and down the road, but I thank my lucky stars that all my vehicles get 20+ mpg today.

I don't know if DEF and Tier 4 will lead to improvements in diesels that can be compared to improvements in gasoline engines. If it does, the first generation will seem more costly and will see lots of resistance. I don't think diesels ever showed performance problems like gassers prior to fuel injection/elec. ignitions. However, if these restrictions drive innovations in diesels that compare to gasoline engine improvements, I'm very excited about the future of diesels. The jury is still out in my opinion. . .:confused3: